Oregon

Budget - Outdoor venue ideas

I'm getting married in July and we don't have a venue for the ceremony or reception yet! We'd like it to be in the same location, but not really. Ceremony in one part and then reception in a different part. We'd like it to be outdoors with electricity for the DJ. We're having a low key, backyard BBQ feel and my stepdad is going to man the grill so that saves on caterering, well at least that's the plan for now. I'd like to have lights and possibly a disco ball, and a park for the kids to play at. A fountain would be nice with alot of flowers for natural decor away from alot of houses so we won't have to worry about alot of onlookers and noise complaints.

I know I'm picky but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them and be grateful for any input! Thanks!

Re: Budget - Outdoor venue ideas

• ecorr86ecorr86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Here are a couple of ideas:

The Grotto
    Portland Chinese Garden
    World Forestry Center
    Portland Zoo

Also there are a lot of parks through Portland Parks and Rec that have electricity and would be a great venue.

Hope these help.

Elizabeth
    New and Blue

• edited December 2011
    I realise you posted this a while ago, but have you looked at Hornings Hideout?

I went to look at it while I was picking venues, it wasn't the right place for me, but it might be for you:
    http://www.horningshideout.com/

• edited December 2011
    Have you thought about looking into a local park or forestry building? Many of them have pavilions that you can rent and would provide all of the pieces you sound like you are looking for. You would give up a bit of the privacy that you have when renting a private venue, but overall it is significantly cheaper. Another alternative, do you have any close family friends with property? They may be more open than you think to allowing you to host your wedding at their place if you say that you will pay to spruce up the yard prior to the event and, of course, be sure that the place is spotless post-wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Any public land (parks, picnic areas) mean it is always possible a stranger may wander through - but I think most people tend to be respectful and keep their distance when they see what is going on.

That being said - it sound like you should check out some of the public parks and such for this sort of feel.  In the beaverton area there is a beautiful location called Jenkin's Estate.  It doesn't have a playground or a fountain, but it has gardens and lots of space, and plenty of room for kids to run around.  It is a popular location for weddings and receptions.

THPRD (Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District) will also likely have a list of parks and picnic areas you could use or rent.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's the info for Portland Parks and Rec
    http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=38300
    http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=38300&a=93274

Also, looking further out from Portland may help with the price point.  I'd look out Chehalem/Yamhill areas, or head toward the gorge.

Finally, outdoors in July, the only way a disco ball and lights will be noticed is after about 9pm, but depending on where you are there may be noise ordinance issues that will force the music to be turned down or even off at 10.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards