April 2012 Weddings

First Dance Song

We're having a hard time picking the perfect song. Once I find something I like, I tend to find something wrong with the lyrics or it just doesn't feel right. FI and I don't really have a song together but we've been searching for several months. I want something different and what people don't hear at just about every wedding.

I loveeee "Make you feel my love" by Adele but I feel like it's more about a girl wanting a guy to love her and trying to convince him that she'll love him forever.

Am I focusing on the words too much?

Have you ladies picked your song?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Dance Song

• That is actually the song my bridal party is walking into...and it was actually written by and performed as a man first so you can think of it as his ode to you :) It really is a beautiful gong. I think it would be a great song for your first dance
  • We are having the same problem.  We had a song picked out and then it was used at a friends wedding last summer as her walk down the aisle so we wanted something different.  Then we found another song, and after listening to it over again I feel the lyrics can be taken sexually and I don't want awkwardness during our first dance.  

I actaully thought of that Adele song too, but FI pointed out that it was a woman wanting a man she couldn't have and it wasn't a good meaning for a first dance.  

I don't know what to do now, sorry I can't help as I am in the same position as you. 
  • chickenbut143chickenbut143 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    We're dancing to Marry Me by Train.  Simple & to the point. 
    lol  Like you guys, we didn't have a "song".  It's kindof cliche' but
    works for us!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @cdbishop, NO problem! I know the feeling haha! I feel like we've listened to a million songs!

@chickenbut143, that's a great pick and it's one I've thought about. Glad you were able to find something!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we had that issue!  We were going to have my cousing and uncle play  Adele's version of "love song" but we decided it sounded so meloncoly we switched it back to Hard to Concentrate by RHCP.  Its a bit rambly but its really sweet and FI used to sing it to me (badly but still cute) whenever it played on car trips.  Still does in fact.
    "All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image
  • bakersduzinbakersduzin member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    FI and I have never had a song that was "our" song either, but we are going with a song that FI says used to make him think of me when we were first dating - Chet Baker's Time After Time
    Anniversary
  • We are going with "Whatever it is" By Zach Brown Band. That is our song though. It came about because one day I was having a really bad day and this song came on the radio. He wouldn't let me out of the truck until it was over, and he sang it to me. :) So it stuck, plus I feel it's very fitting.
  • I LOVE Hard to Concentrate and would have used it, but a good friend's brother performed that at her ceremony last year so I decided against it.  We are using Fleetwood Mac's Songbird for our first dance, and my sister's bf is going to perform This Will Be Our Year by the Zombies during the ceremony.
  • We're doing an oldie's song. I love Otis Redding, so we're dancing to That's How Strong My Love Is. First time I played it for FI, he started tearing up. That's how I knew it was perfect.  And even better, the song is about 2.5 minutes! Dancing out there all alone is so awkward!
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Ugh. I'm going through the same thing right now... FH and i don`t have a song that is 'our' song. I picked out a few that i like and i thought were appropriate, but he didn't reall like any of them. The problem is that our tastes in music are fundamentally different. It makes life fun, but not so fun when you're trying to agree on a song for something important :P

I might just pick something and tell him it`s too bad, he doesn't have a choice! If we could we would dance to something by Queen... But 'we are the champions' doesn`t really seem appropriate ;)
  • @starbrite, OH gosh! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee ZBB! They are seriously my favorite band. I can't believe I didn't think of this song. Thanks! I will run it by the FI and see what he thinks.

@rtzrill, same here! We've sent several back and forth to each other and we haven't both agreed on any of them.... GEEZ!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:3ef783d0-8506-404b-84dd-726402652107Post:c4a9b275-6afe-471c-b274-0e648ea07834">Re: First Dance Song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing an oldie's song. I love Otis Redding, so we're dancing to That's How Strong My Love Is. First time I played it for FI, he started tearing up. That's how I knew it was perfect.  <strong>And even better, the song is about 2.5 minutes</strong>! Dancing out there all alone is so awkward!
    Posted by faerylvr27[/QUOTE]

My first dance and father/daughter song are both under 3 minutes.  I'm so happy about that - yay short songs!
  • We're dancing to "Your Song" by Ewan Mcgregor/Moulin Rouge version because that was the first movie we ever watched together and HE OWNED IT, not me! That's when I knew he was a keeper. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • @em0, that's so cute!!! And so glad you have a story behind it. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm planning to walk down the aisle to "Make Me Feel Your Love" but a piano version so no worries with the lyrics.

I'm pretty sure our first dance will be "The Day Before You" by Matthew West.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had orginally said our first dance song would be "bless the broken road" by the rascall flats but my cousin went ahead and poached it....

Our song is "little moments" by brad pasiley but like you all have mentioned, my issue is Brad is singing about how much he loves his wife...not reciprocated.  Also, it def is all about what a mess she is haha
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're using "History in the Making" by Darius Rucker. This is the first song that I ever sung to FI. I have known my best friend for years and the only time she has heard me sing when I was wasted one night (I don't sing to anyone - I'm so embarrassed). We also think its a sweet song.

I love everyone else's choices though!
  • We're not 100% sure yet, but will probably use "God gave me you" by Blake Shelton.

We don't really have a song either, and we have listened to about a bajillion songs trying to agree, and it's the only song that we agree on.  Well, we both agreed that the song "I could not ask for more" was great too, but he doesn't like the Edwin McCain version, and he refuses to use the Sara Evans version because he has some inexplicable problem with her.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • We don't have a song either, but we're dancing to "In My Life" by the Beatles. The other song we considered was "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys.
    Visit OrangeCounty.Weddings.comWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:3ef783d0-8506-404b-84dd-726402652107Post:173c4901-bfeb-4992-b2e8-602a68171da4">Re: First Dance Song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had orginally said our first dance song would be "bless the broken road" by the rascall flats but my cousin went ahead and poached it.... Our song is "little moments" by <strong>brad pasiley but like you all have mentioned, my issue is Brad is singing about how much he loves his wife...not reciprocated.  Also, it def is all about what a mess she is haha</strong>
    Posted by futuremrsdavies[/QUOTE]

<div>What about "She's Everything?"</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • We're using "Then" by Brad Paisley...my FI mentioned it one day and it is perfect.  "God Gave Me You" is also very beautiful.... Good luckLaughing
  • I love all the beautiful song choices. We are going with "I Could Not Ask For More" by Edwin McCain. We were having such a hard time deciding and then I heard that song one day and just knew that it was the one for us.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:3ef783d0-8506-404b-84dd-726402652107Post:48c7f257-d98e-4238-8ec0-41b2d593efc9">Re: First Dance Song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not 100% sure yet, <strong>but will probably use "God gave me you" by Blake Shelton.</strong> We don't really have a song either, and we have listened to about a bajillion songs trying to agree, and it's the only song that we agree on.  Well, we both agreed that the song "I could not ask for more" was great too, but he doesn't like the Edwin McCain version, and he refuses to use the Sara Evans version because he has some inexplicable problem with her.  
    Posted by blgrout[/QUOTE]

This is on my list of songs as well! I just love it!!! Hopefully the FI and I will narrow down a few songs this week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:3ef783d0-8506-404b-84dd-726402652107Post:8f0fe64a-4d61-4f77-b0b0-5ab1670880ed">Re: First Dance Song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're using "Then" by Brad Paisley...my FI mentioned it one day and it is perfect.  "God Gave Me You" is also very beautiful.... Good luck
    Posted by JAPetela[/QUOTE]

"Then" is our song too! My FI has been singing it to me since early on in our relationship, it fit well for us :)
    180image 113image 67imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're using the Adele song (see OP), but we have a guy musician coming from San Diego to play it for us. We love the song and think it'll sound great by him! I've heard other versions of it, and definitely like Adele's best.

Sounds like everyone else has some great ones lined up too!
  • We haven't really found one yet.  Both of us are metal and rock fans, and there's not a lot there!  ^_^;  Most other romatic songs just sound overly sappy to both of us, though that's personal preference. 

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• In reference to the original song choice, I favor the Kris Allen version that he performed on AI. His voice is "like buhdah" to my ears!  :)

FI and I will be dancing to All This Time by OneRepublic (who happens to be fave band).

Follow Me on Pinterest

• We didn't have a "song" either but had a few options on the table. We ended up going with "When You Got A Good Thing" by Lady Antebellum. Best of luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good choice!!! I forgot about that one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We don't have "a song" either.  We are dancing to "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain.  We love the song and are about 90% sure about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards