Not Engaged Yet

Valentine's Day Survey

Since it's coming up and I'm stumped, I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies what you're planning for your H/FI/BF.

Tell me what you're doing, if you're buying him a gift, etc.

I bought M a card that said "I love you like a back alley hooker loves crack" last year, so that's going to be hard to top.

And...go.
I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Valentine's Day Survey

• We don't really celebrate. We might go out to dinner but that's really it. No cards or gifts for us. I think V-Day is silly. 

• edited January 2013
    I don't think we're doing anything either. We're definitely not exchanging gifts - maybe just cards and candy. I hated all the hype around Valentine's Day when I was single...and I still don't like it, in a relationship. However, I will take ANY excuse to cook or go out for a nice meal, and drink some wine with BF, so that's my plan for us. I may make him go see Safe Harbor with me, since it comes out on the 14th. We'll see if I can swing that...

ETA: I'm with you, Peek. Last year I bought BF a battery-powered card with a dog humping a leg, and I the card played "Let's Get It On" or some similar song. I don't know how to top that one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always make DH red velvet cupcakes, so I'll probably do that again. And sex. Maybe a card. Maybe dinner out, but maybe not. We haven't planned anything specific yet, and he might be out of town. Also my birthday is close to v-day, so that gets annoying. 
  • We're definitely celebrating after the fact.  Neither of us can stomach the thought of trying to go out on the 14th.  You needed to get a reservation in yesterday anyway.  And we probably won't do anything big - he flew down to see me last year and bought me flowers and chocolate, so I'm anticipating flowers and chocolate.

But I really need a good card.  The Etsy shop I ordered last years from doesn't have anything new though :(
    I french with my man
  • My boyfriend and I will probably be attempting and failing (yet again) to make Pad Thai. This tradition started about 3 years ago - we have tried many a recipe and he has some weird ingredients in his cabinet, but we always seem to fail, throw it out, and order in. We normally don't do much in way of the V-Day traditions. When I was in college I sent him a letter every day for 2 weeks, I got him a laundry basket one year (inside joke) and I am totally a card person.

We don't exchange anything of much substance - usually less than $20 in trinkets.
  • I hate Valentine's Day. I'm scarred from childhood.

I'll probably get BF a funny/stupid card. I saw one at CVS the other day while I was waiting for my prescription that had a picture of an old couple smoking cigarettes on the front. The old lady had a bubble that said "That was good." the old man's bubble said "What was good?" and on the inside it said "To the one I'm going to want until I don't remember what I want you for." or something of that nature. I giggled.

*******************************************************************************************

• I'm not really sure. We probably aren't doing anything, but I hope Josh will cook dinner for me or make me a dessert or something. I'll probably be closing at my store on Valentine's Day. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • I think I'm going to make BF biscuits and gravy since it's his favorite comfort meal and it's been shltty weather outside so it sounds delicious. We will probably go out to dinner the Saturday after to celebrate but, we don't do gifts or anything fancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I don't really like doing gifts for V-day. I'd much rather go out and do something whether that's go to dinner or see a movie. Lately, my BF and I have been taking cooking classes on special occasions. For Christmas our gift for each other was to split the cost of a Couples Holiday Cooking Class, we had so much fun! I was looking into possibly doing that once V-day rolls around as an excuse to try out a new class but he also mentioned that his uncle is a pro ballroom dancer. (side-note... he is awesome at dancing and I'm not.) So that got me thinking that it would be cheap and fun to have his uncle teach us some ballroom steps on V-day and then we will probably cook dinner together or something. I want to make an awesome Pinterest dessert recipe!
  • We aren't doing much we decide on no gifts this year, and put money towards decorating and furnishing the home. I said I did want to exchange cards.  We'll probably go out to dinner but mostly Saturday the 16th, since more than likely I'll have rehearsal and BF will have a hockey game.

Anniversary

• Now I want to get FI one (or both) of these cards:

• We usually just do dinner.  One year I got earrings from FI.  That was pretty cool (it was the first holiday I was able to wear earrings - I had just gotten them pierced 3 months earlier).  I have class on V-day this year, so we probably won't do anything.  I don't do cards, either.  
  • BF and I are just celebrating our anniversary this weekend (postponed twice due to my mom coming to visit and this past weekend BF getting sick) so I don't really want to do anything crazy for v-day.

Our first v-day was at a restaurant walking distance from where we live now so we might go there for dinner.

I also had the idea of "re-creating" our first date; meeting up at the restaurant where we had our first date but going out for drinks after and some sexy time after lol.  But then I thought it was corny.

I got him a really funny card; it's a picture of a couple and the man is holding a dachshund, the inside of the card says "on valentine's day john gave sally his weiner".

I really don't think anything could top our first v-day.  We just started dating, he was super romantic, had a dozen roses delivered to my job and home, and showed up with a dozen roses, nice restaurant, he was dressed up in a suit and we also had our first kiss on V-day.

I'm on the phone with BF recounting this and he just reminded me that the first time we had sexy time was on St. Patrick's day lol.  I guess we stick with holidays for things to remember!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I will be on a business trip. I actually just made dinner reservations for us in Montana (three co-workers, i'm the only gal. Tell me that won't look...interesting.)

We generally do a nice night at home together. Since I'll be back home friday, we'll probably just wait till then. I feel like I should make a little more effort this year since it is our only "engaged" v-day, but I really haven't come up with anything yet. 
  • We don't gifts for Valentine's day. In general we don't do much to celebrate besides maybe a nice dinner.

• We aren't doing anything at all. We have a protest on the 16th, so we might do a Valentine's theme with that. Otherwise, we don't typically do anything because we work during the week and going out just seems like a bother.

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013

We won't do anything.  I'll cook dinner I am sure but I have no plans.  I don't like V-day and it's on a Thursday so I will be dead from school.     

RDR- You need to get the beard card.  I love it.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• We're in the "don't do anything" camp, but goodness Rdr, I need to get that first card, and ASAP! 

I think we're going to see Identity Theif at midnight on Thursday/Friday bc we both absolutely love Melissa McCarthy. We may go for dinner and drinks beforehand. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Thursday the 14th I'll be teaching until 8 PM, but we both took off Friday the 15th (and I have off that next Monday!) and he took off Monday...  so we're trying to come up with some fun stay-cation ideas that won't cost us much/anything.  oh, and Friday night I made us reservations for hibachi.  that will be our "splurge"... H has never been!  and gifts?  just something under $20.  we don't make a huge deal of Valentine's Day, but this year it happened to fall on a stay-cation weekend.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_valentines-day-survey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7dbd1da4-0d9d-42d7-bda7-17d85ccd0a0cPost:3e0dc988-415d-4d01-b52d-0b2d1180a655">Re: Valentine's Day Survey</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Thursday the 14th </strong>I'll be teaching until 8 PM, but we both took off Friday the 15th (and I have off that next Monday!) and he took off Monday...  so we're trying to come up with some fun stay-cation ideas that won't cost us much/anything.  oh, and Friday night I made us reservations for hibachi.  that will be our "splurge"... H has never been!  and gifts?  just something under $20.  we don't make a huge deal of Valentine's Day, but this year it happened to fall on a stay-cation weekend.
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

<div>Valentine's day is a THURSDAY?!?!? Sh!t. I thought it was a Friday. I'm out of town that weekend too, which means I'll be working super late the 14th. A card will suffice and we will see the movie another time. Probably the next weekend.</div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • We'll probably do dinner somewhere on Saturday night. Nothing fancy. I guess I'll bake him some oatmeal raisin cookies. We're trying to save money these days, so I doubt we'll be exchanging gifts. I'll probably get him a funny card though.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I ended up getting the hairy ass card bahahaha 

I love the beard card too but feel like the hairy ass one screams Valentine's Day more. (That was an interesting statement to make)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_valentines-day-survey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7dbd1da4-0d9d-42d7-bda7-17d85ccd0a0cPost:4e456141-9f7e-4d6f-8518-9da96dd948d2">Re: Valentine's Day Survey</a>:
    [QUOTE]I ended up getting the hairy ass card bahahaha  I love the beard card too but feel like the hairy ass one screams Valentine's Day more. (That was an interesting statement to make)
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

lol

Perfect. I want the beard one.
  • Last year we celebrated by him making me dinner and I made dessert.  This year, his qualifier is right after Valentine's day and I scheduled a weekend at a B&B for the weekend after his exam, so we'll call that weekend away our "celebration."
    Anniversary
  • We'll probably do something low key at home on the 14th. Over the weekend we are expecting company.
  • Macy,  you need to get this (< clicky) for Nick.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Bf asked me to get off work a little early and he'll be picking me up for a surprise evening in downtown LA. Might get the cliched V-day proposal, but I'm not holding my breath as he's still saving up for the ring as far as I know.

For him, I'm going to frame a nice picture of us my aunt took at Christmas and then probably give him some cufflinks with his favorite auto maker that I've been saving.
  • We don't ever do anything for valentines day, but our anniversary of dating is the 16th. We are actually going to Disney for the weekend. We were going to go early this month, but things came up with FI health, and it just worked out to be that weekend
  • Nothing. H did get me an orchid and a balloon two years ago but nothing last year. I would like flowers but probably won't get them. And that's a little hypocritical of me because I'm not planning to get him anything. Also, if you're thinking "he doesn't know to get you flowers because you haven't told him," I have told him multiple times. So while he never sent the ones for our anniversary that he promised (he said it was because he didn't have my new business card even though the address is on my company website), he did go overboard for my September show, then skipped my birthday. So yeah, the flower thing isn't going well.

Sorry for the rant. Suffice it to say I'd be totally okay if Valentine's Day just went away and never came back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards