Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

GOLD, Titanium, Stainless steel.. men wedding band

so my dilemma is this,, my dad has a stainless steel  ring that he has never taken off after 35 years of marriage.

im wondering is it tacky to get MY FI stainless steel.. or titanium.. do men care if its gold or not..
do you guys care ?

Re: GOLD, Titanium, Stainless steel.. men wedding band

• FI wanted black titanium....He's the one wearing it, so it should be what he wants. Miy ring on the other hand is a white gold band with diamonds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also take into consideration what they do for work... FI is an Executive Chef and needed a stronger metal than gold.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think its his ring so it should be what he wants.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_gold-titanium-stainless-steel-men-wedding-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c5be901f-c2d4-4222-80e1-21a9386e41c8Post:3caac8bd-1009-4726-b967-aa0b68a847ff">GOLD, Titanium, Stainless steel.. men wedding band</a>:
    [QUOTE]so my dilemma is this,, my dad has a stainless steel  ring that he has never taken off after 35 years of marriage. im wondering is it tacky to get MY FI stainless steel.. or titanium.. do men care if its gold or not.. do you guys care ?
    Posted by tpicton[/QUOTE]

What does your fiance want?  I think that's the most important question here.
  • It was a very big deal to my FI ti have a more traditional metal
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • My husband has a tungsten ring and loves it.  It wasn't that much less expensive than a gold ring, but it's really durable.   You should get something he likes and that fits into your budget.  There are a lot more styles than there used to be, so he will have a lot to choose from.
    DSC_9275
  • Agreed that he should get to choose. H considered titanium, but ended up going with white gold.
  • I agree with everyone saying it should be what he wants.  One thing you might want to consider is some metals cannot be resized.  I'm pretty sure tungsten and titanium fall into this category.  I'd research any "non-traditional" material before committing to it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_gold-titanium-stainless-steel-men-wedding-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c5be901f-c2d4-4222-80e1-21a9386e41c8Post:e6d95507-a71b-4287-92e4-f9a9e51f348b">Re: GOLD, Titanium, Stainless steel.. men wedding band</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone saying it should be what he wants.  One thing you might want to consider is some metals cannot be resized.  I'm pretty sure tungsten and titanium fall into this category.  I'd research any "non-traditional" material before committing to it.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is correct. However, most national chains will offer new rings for life in lieu of re-sizing.   So if he gains or loses weight and needs a different size, they'll give him a free new ring.  Sure, it's not as sentimental as wearing the exact sme ring for the rest of your life, but it does solve the logistical issue of getting a new size.

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • My DH chose a $95 titanium band and he loves it.  It is light and he plays guitar for a living so it's perfect for him.  But like the PP are saying, he chose it himself which is the key.
  • DH has 2 bands. One is steel and one is tungsten. He loves both. Get your FI what he wants because he has to wear it for the rest of his life.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well i took all your advice, i asked him he said he doesnt care.. then we went through a webpage .. there happened to be a "green lantern" ring.. he said THAT ONE!!..
    sigh men.
  • There are pro's & con's to each type of metal. As one poster said take into consideration his profession & if he'll be wearing his ring everyday. My dad was a machinist so he didn't wear a ring to work due to it being a safety hazard. While ring shopping we learned that The tungston Carbide is very difficult if not almost impossible to be cut off with out a special tool. My fiance went with a ceramic carbide, very durable & easier to get off in case of emergency. Plus it was the only material we could find the style of ring he wanted. Black ring with brushed satin silver in the middle. Let him choose because he is the one that will look at it every day on his hand for the rest of his life. You want him to be happy with what he has.
  • My H picked out a Cobalt wedding ring; it's similar to Tungsten in that it's incredibly durable, scratch resistant, etc.  It can't be resized by Jared gives it a lifetime replacement warranty. I would have loved to buy him gold, but it was so much more expensive and I was a poor law student. 

He loves it. It's lightweight and comfortable and he likes that he can't gain too much weight without having to replace it; it gives him even more reason to try to stay in shape. =) 

Hear your FI out and let him decide. 
  • I got FI a tri-gold band.  It's a combo of white gold,  yellow gold and rose gold intertwined like a braid. He picked it and loves it.  We were also told that some of the other metals would not accommodate weight change so that's another reason we went with it.  But mostly it's just very unique in comparison to what I see most men wearing nowadays.
  • He wants the cheapest option available ... preferably under $50, with no details whatsoever.

Makes it easy on the budget!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards