Alabama

How's everybody doing after yesterday?

Just checking in with y'all and making sure everyone is okay.

FI and I had a tornado in our neighborhood yesterday morning, but are very fortunate that we only have a broken grill.  God is good!  Some of our neighbors are dealing with holes in their roofs and broken fences, but no complete devastation.  My hometown, Cullman, and the other city to dear to my heart, Tuscaloosa, are in shambles but brick and mortar can be rebuilt!  My family and friends are all safe.  Thank God!

How are y'all?  Your families and friends?  Your homes?

Re: How's everybody doing after yesterday?

• MaritaG11MaritaG11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing okay. I'm going to school in Troy right now so I was South of all of the tornadoes yesterday. I have many friends in the Tuscaloosa/Bham/Huntsville area and luckily they are okay. There was a tornado warning in my hometown, Enterprise, last night but it turned out to just be a cell with preicted tornadic activity, but no touchdowns. 

It is just so surreal that this happened. 

What I'm most looking forward to in 2012:
    Vacations with DH, baby G 1.0, and Riley's first birthday!
    Photobucket Anniversary
    My Chart
    Off BCP October 2011
    TTC #1 since December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    So glad to hear you and your family & friends are okay.  I heard Enterprise was close.  I hope you never have to see destruction in your hometown.  It seriously stinks.  I can't stop thinking about it.
  • MaritaG11MaritaG11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean. Enterprise was hit four years ago and nine people (8 hs students and an elderly lady) were killed. I never want to see that again. 

I'm so glad that you, your family and friends are all safe. Your right, things can be replaced and buildings can be rebuilt. As long as people are safe, that is all that matters. 
    What I'm most looking forward to in 2012:
    Vacations with DH, baby G 1.0, and Riley's first birthday!
    Photobucket Anniversary
    My Chart
    Off BCP October 2011
    TTC #1 since December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in Tuscaloosa (well at FI apt in Northport) right now.  It still doesn't seem real.  The University has canceled classes/finals/graduation for the semester.   Most areas of Tuscaloosa still don't have power.  
  • emilyv1011emilyv1011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are ok! We didnt get hit by any tornados just bad bad storms. Its strange because it seems everyone around us got hit. My home town was hit. They still dont have power and wont for days. So sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My family and house are fine but there seems to be destruction all the way around. My parents are in Walker county but they managed to get out with no major damage. I'm in school at UWA and we just had a few uprooted trees and no power for a few hours. However my FI is at UA and he has told me how much of a mess everything is. He will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to see him. He was on campus when it hit, and I was just trying not to think about close he was to 15th street.

I few of my friends in Tuscaloosa have lost everything and its just so sad. After everything settled down Wednesday I just sat in my room and cried. Right now it just feels like what is supposed to be my future home will never be the same.

Editted for my lack of proofreading.
    Next to being married, a girl likes being crossed now and then. - Jane Austen
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I live in T-Town, but luckily the tornado missed our house by 1 mile. This is the first time I've been able to get on-line or use my phone at all since then. We lost power but got it back yesterday. We walked around 15th, McFarland, and Hargrove. There is basically nothing left. It is so sad, especially to see the people that were fortunate enough to still be alive, but having to search through the rubble that used to be their home. We went to see how our gym held up, and it is a bunch of jumbled metal. We were at the gym about 30 minutes before the tornado hit, so we were definitely lucky to have left when we did. I have lived here for 4 years now, and I can't believe it's basically gone...
  • edited December 2011
    Glad you're okay Shelia. It's just horrible to see the pictures and hear the stories. We can only pray that it gets better.
    Next to being married, a girl likes being crossed now and then. - Jane Austen
  • hckaczynhckaczyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Huntsville, just south of the Harvest/Toney area which got hit hard. We just got power back on today. At least half the city is still without. There is some major damage all around us, but everyone is okay. I know of at least two family friends who live on the same street, all their homes were destroyed. My wedding dress may be gone to the storm damage, but I won't be sure for a while. I'm hurting so much for our community and those in Tuscaloosa too. But we'll help each other recover.

imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_alabama_hows-everybody-doing-after-yesterday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:74Discussion:6dfc2f14-5fbb-40db-8ee0-378935494db6Post:14770c19-6af8-4642-a170-a711211d85f0">Re: How's everybody doing after yesterday?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in Huntsville, just south of the Harvest/Toney area which got hit hard. We just got power back on today. At least half the city is still without. There is some major damage all around us, but everyone is okay. I know of at least two family friends who live on the same street, all their homes were destroyed. My wedding dress may be gone to the storm damage, but I won't be sure for a while. I'm hurting so much for our community and those in Tuscaloosa too. But we'll help each other recover.
    Posted by hckaczyn[/QUOTE]

<div>I hope your dress isn't gone.  Please let us know.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad to see so many posting.  It's been just terrible.  I never thought we would experience something this bad.  I went to Cullman this weekend.  It was awful to see my hometown in shambles.  I dread going to Tuscaloosa.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards