Registry and Gift Forum

Dinnerware that's only available online??

FI and I have been to Macy's and BBB now. We could not find anything we agreed on for casual china/dinnerware. It was soo stressful. He is so picky! Anyways, we looked online and found something he loved and I liked. Good enough. They have this pattern at Macy's online, but it doesn't come in a set and makes it really expensive by the piece. But Macy's has the rewards program...

They do have it in a set at BBB and it's much cheaper that way, like by over $100 I think. However, it does not seem to be available in stores. I am not sure how many people would be willing to order china online. Would it break? Will our guests even want to order online or shipped?

I'm nervous because if it isn't bought I don't want to spend $100 per setting myself... what would you do?

Re: Dinnerware that's only available online??

• Have you looked at Crate and Barrell? That's where we are getting our dishes. They have a GREAT selection.
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    It really depends on your crowd. Most BBB stores don't have china in-store. Out of the 10 near me, only 2 do. We only received 1 setting and it was shipped to our home. It was perfectly intact. I have no idea if the store she bought it at had it there or she had an associate buy it online for it or she bought it online herself. Regardless, I feel that china is one of those gifts that if the person wants to give it, they will, even if it's online only. 

I'm with you in that I'd never splurge to buy that for myself either. We used wedding gifts to buy 3 more sets so that we have 4 & can at least have a couple over. That could be an option for you too. 
  • My cousin just had a shower and they registered for a Mikasa china set at BBB.   I knew right away that I wanted to go in on this with my sisters, so we ordered it and it came well before the shower so we were able to give it.  Another person got them another set (they had requested 2) at the shower and just gave them the certificate that said it was on its way. 

If this is the set you really want, then I say go for it.  Ordering online is easy for customers, and if they don't get it in-time they can still have it sent to your home.

Also, just wanted to mention my FI and I registered at C&B as well and LOVE the patterns there.  It is less of a fancy china set but more modern tableware.
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Even a lot of Macy's don't carry china, casual or fine, in store.  They will have the one place setting for you to see in person.

My mom wanted to get us our casual china for our engagement party, and while the store has a full set on display, they had to order it to be shipped to us (if they don't have it in stock they will ship it to you for free).  We got 8 place settings (dinner and salad plates, soup bowl, cup and saucer), sugar & creamer, platter, and vegetable bowl and they were all fine.  We recently received some other pieces that were all shipped from the manufacturer, and they were packaged really well, so no issues.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Question - does this pattern that is so much more expensive at Macy's ever go on sale?  I'm not an expert at the dinnerware inventory at Macy's, but I've noticed that almost every pattern does go on sale for the BBB price - if i'ts a little more expensive on sale, there are usually flash sales that will do things like adding a soup bowl or whatever that makes it the same price or cheaper than BBB.  I'm surprised that the price difference is so high, which is why I'm asking. If it's a pattern on sale frequently I would do Macy's so you can get the rewards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_dinnerware-thats-only-available-online?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a2f8abf9-7d9c-40c2-adfe-cdd125ad9d2cPost:1e926318-3114-4ece-8549-8fa95137d885">Re: Dinnerware that's only available online??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question - does this pattern that is so much more expensive at Macy's ever go on sale?  I'm not an expert at the dinnerware inventory at Macy's, but I've noticed that almost every pattern does go on sale for the BBB price - if i'ts a little more expensive on sale, there are usually flash sales that will do things like adding a soup bowl or whatever that makes it the same price or cheaper than BBB.  I'm surprised that the price difference is so high, which is why I'm asking. If it's a pattern on sale frequently I would do Macy's so you can get the rewards.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

<div>This also reminded me that something on Macy's website is screwed up, because I registered for sets of four of some items, like cereal bowls, in the store, but they don't show up on the Macy's website except for on my registry, and they can be purchased online.  You might check the store to see if the set is displayed there, and see if this is an option.  The price difference is likely because sets are less expensive usually, and BB&B is less every day, but Macy's sales and coupons can't be beaten.</div>
  • Upon reading that last comment about the site being screwed up I called Macy's and lo and behold they DO have it as a set! So glad I asked! Unfortunatley the putz I'm talking to doesn't know how to add it to the registery as they don't have the UPC in their store and all the consultants are on a week-long training. Arg! 
  • Macy's software coding leads much to be desired. also, In the 3 months or so we've been registered there, everything has gone on sale, and out of sale. We're not registered for fine china, though, not at Macy's.

For my "good china" I wanted to round out a set I inherited from my great-grandmother. Following recommendations here, I registered at replacements.com. We haven't received anything, yet, but breakage doesn't worry me. I've received other porcelain gifts in the mail, all just fine.

Whether the little old ladies most likely to be interested in buying us the fine china will buy online is another story, but we had no in-store options for our antique pattern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards