Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Trick-or-Treaters

We just had a big group of trick-or-treaters come and they were taking handful of candy at a time. Now we're almost out! I guess we'll just have to turn off the outside light and the living room lights for the rest of the night when we're out of candy. :-/

This was our first Halloween in town in this house, so I had no idea how much candy to buy. I figured we'd either run out quick or have candy until next Halloween.

Anyone else have a lot of trick-or-treaters tonight?? What do you do when you run out of candy?

Re: Trick-or-Treaters

• Options
    I'm at work (watching something run on a computer).  BOO!!  We only got about 10 trick-or-treaters two years ago. (were out of the house last year) Tonight we won't get any, because our porch light won't be on.  (our landlady controls it).  Two years ago we sat outside, but it was pretty warm.  This year, it's kind of cold.  Oh well!  I love sitting on the porch and watching the kids.
  • Options
    Is it bad to say that I'm slightly scared of the kids in our neighborhood? At least I'm scared of their older siblings. The huge group that took a bunch of candy were fighting when I opened the door and I seriously thought they were going to come inside for a second. I'm hoping the light off thing works!
  • Options
    I went and saw Liam and Madelyn tonight, and now I'm sitting at home with all the lights off drowning my Vikings sorrows in Bud Light and watching SVU.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Aw fish were they adorable?? Our front door has glass in it, so I've debated on taping up a trash bag..
  • Options
    http://oi51.tinypic.com/2zeci7d.jpg
    http://oi56.tinypic.com/34fzbz4.jpg

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Where was your candy bowl that they were just grabbing candy? we have had ONE kid and I gave her a whole handful becuase I knew we wouldnt have any more. We get 1 a year. She looked down and saw my white pumpkin and shouted "MOM!! theres a white pumpkin!! I think its painted!" and I said that it was really white, it was called a ghost pumpkin. She then went tearassing down the steps screaming "ITS A GHOST PUMPKIN!!!!"

I want kids, now. As long as they are cute like that.
  • Options
    Decision to procreate based on reaction to ghost pumpkin is about the most solid reasoning I've heard yet. :)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    It was in my hands. I should have been giving the candy to them instead of letting them pick I guess. I like the cute little kids, it's the ones that are almost as big as me that scare me.

That's really cute about the ghost pumpkin. I wish we had more of those kids!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:7db5577b-26a7-4398-9bf3-c7657797a078">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went and saw Liam and Madelyn tonight, and now I'm sitting at home with all the lights off drowning my Vikings sorrows in Bud Light and watching SVU.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Are those your nephew and niece?
  • Options
    They're adorable fish!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:6e357182-d54b-4464-83dd-4772fa0b2316">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was in my hands. I should have been giving the candy to them instead of letting them pick I guess. I like the cute little kids, it's the ones that are almost as big as me that scare me. That's really cute about the ghost pumpkin. I wish we had more of those kids!
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]
    MAN those are some ballsy kids! big kids freak me out because I do NOT want my house getting egged.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:faa5eef2-9eeb-4784-8c59-a1de80449cad">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had trick-or-treaters last night.  It was so weird.  I had multiple kids with no costumes, and only a handful actually said "trick or treat."  When I was little, we had to say trick or treat or we didn't get candy.  I was weak and gave them candy anyways.  I did not, however, give candy to the 30 year old women who came to my door (sans any children) holding out their bags (and not saying trick or treat).  I told them that my candy was only for children, but to have a happy halloween.  Ugh people are so weird.  If you are old enough to drive, you should drive to kroger and buy your own candy- not go trick-or-treating.  Can you tell I'm bitter?
    Posted by bree4305[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. I can't believe a grown woman would do such a thing, but these days, you can see anything.

I would have done the same thing. When I lived at home and would pass out candy, my Mom and I would tell them that, too.

My parents always made me say trick or treat and thank you.
  • Options
    Even saying no to 30 year olds would scare me. I'd be worried about what they'd do to my house later. I almost feel like I'm being held up if the kids are over 12. Like "give me candy or I am going to come back and key your car later."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:41fa3332-3c93-465a-9419-daae49628a62">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trick-or-Treaters : I know me too!! I also worry about my dog. FI wanted to put him outside because he goes crazy every time the doorbell rings, but I want to keep my eye on him. FI thinks I'm being ridiculous, but I really don't trust people not to try to mess with him. I saw a black cat earlier today and really worried about it. :( I wanted to take it home, just for tonight.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]
    I dont think you can be too careful now a days. I keep my dog locked up in the other half of the house (livingroom has a door on it that I can shut) so I just stuck him in there tonight. I know atleast the animals will run away and most of them are fast!
  • Options
    We had Oz gated off in the kitchen for awhile when they were coming a lot more frequently. Poor guy is going to be exhausted tonight...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:b461c27e-eeaf-459e-8a2d-942d18cfc8e8">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very cute, Fish! Birdie, I always hand it out too, no grabbing from the bowl. Goes too quickly that way. MP- why does your landlord control your porchlight? Does she pay the utilities? I've never heard of that!
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

We live in a duplex and for some reason, the porch light switch is upstairs in her apartment. 
  • Options
    Our trick or treating doesn't start until 6 here.  We have a ton of kids in our complex so I imagine we'll get them, but I'm not expecting many other kids since our complex is really hidden. 

I would never let the kids reach in the bowl, haha thats just asking for them to grab handfuls.  A lot of times I'll ask them what they like though.  If I'm feeling nice.  But usually the last person to come to the door gets the rest of the bowl dumped in their bag so I don't eat it. 

Annnddd as I'm typing this I get trick or treaters.  45 minutes early.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Tip for next year - you don't let them reach in and take. You select however many pieces you want them to have and you drop them in to their bags or whatever they are carrying.  Unless you tell kids, before letting them just grab, that they may have 1 or 2 or 3 pieces, they will take everything they can fit in their hands so either you choose what they get and drop it in to their bags or you tell them how many they may take and make them put back anything they take over that amount.

Not knowing where their hands have been - I'd prefer you select what you want them to have and you drop it in to their bags.

We had 80 kids this year. That's considerably down over other years. Some years we've had as many as 180.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:71e8cb17-8f2c-4fd4-89d1-2b352392b1a0">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tip for next year - you don't let them reach in and take. You select however many pieces you want them to have and you drop them in to their bags or whatever they are carrying.  Unless you tell kids, before letting them just grab, that they may have 1 or 2 or 3 pieces, they will take everything they can fit in their hands so either you choose what they get and drop it in to their bags or you tell them how many they may take and make them put back anything they take over that amount. Not knowing where their hands have been - I'd prefer you select what you want them to have and you drop it in to their bags. <strong>We had 80 kids this year. That's considerably down over other years. Some years we've had as many as 180.</strong>
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]
    Holy CRAP!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:095c59b7-f4dd-49b1-9c5f-a7be82423423">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trick-or-Treaters : Holy CRAP!
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Yup, that is central Ohio for you. My parents always have a boat load of kids, too.
  • Options
    I've never really done this before. Embarassed We've been out of town the first two Halloweens we were in this house and my mom never had trick or treaters when I was growing up.

Skippy, I don't think I could afford candy for that many kids!
  • Options

My parents house is always a hit or miss.  There is a school right behind them that does an after school program, and if Halloween was a school day they usually brought them trick or treating.  So that was an extra like 40 kids, on top of what they would normally get.  My mom would always buy tons of candy because she never knew what she would get.

This is our first year handing out candy.  The frst 2 years we were together we were always out at parties or not at home for it.  Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pumped for it.  We even have the dog dressed up too.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    I live in a large development of nice homes in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. We get Columbus inner city kids dropped off - not kidding.  We also get some farm kids. I don't mind our farm kids, they go to our schools and are part of our community although most of them just go to the developments on the West side of our suburb and I'm on the East side of our suburb along the Scioto River.

I think inner city parents do it for 2 reasons, they figure we can afford candy more than they can (not true for us right now) and we're in much safer neighborhoods for their kids to be out in.  Also Columbus and almost all suburbs have T or T on Thursday night from 6-8, no matter when Oct 31 is. 

My husband had to pass our candy out, I couldn't be home to do it. He got home about 5:30 and there were tons of cars waiting to dump their kids out.  I will say we've always been very lucky that the kids (ALL of them) are friendly and polite and almost everyone of them says thank you.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:2d12ccf4-4b1e-4c99-a07e-d0f25525941d">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents house is always a hit or miss.  There is a school right behind them that does an after school program, and if Halloween was a school day they usually brought them trick or treating.  So that was an extra like 40 kids, on top of what they would normally get.  My mom would always buy tons of candy because she never knew what she would get. This is our first year handing out candy.  The frst 2 years we were together we were always out at parties or not at home for it.  Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pumped for it.  <strong>We even have the dog dressed up too.</strong>
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I tried to put the pumpkin costume on Oz and he started bucking like a horse and flipping out trying to bite it off. :-P I had to bribe him with a treat to get him to hold still to take my sig pic. Sweaters for xmas are a LOT easier to keep on him. ;-)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_trick-treaters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e2bd9a5-2d5a-4b9c-8a17-fb8a013daf68Post:8fe7bb79-04ea-4fc3-a73b-aa95467446e6">Re: Trick-or-Treaters</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in a large development of nice homes in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. We get Columbus inner city kids dropped off - not kidding.  We also get some farm kids. I don't mind our farm kids, they go to our schools and are part of our community although most of them just go to the developments on the West side of our suburb and I'm on the East side of our suburb along the Scioto River. I think inner city parents do it for 2 reasons, they figure we can afford candy more than they can (not true for us right now) and we're in much safer neighborhoods for their kids to be out in.  Also Columbus and almost all suburbs have T or T on Thursday night from 6-8, no matter when Oct 31 is.  My husband had to pass our candy out, I couldn't be home to do it. He got home about 5:30 and there were tons of cars waiting to dump their kids out.  I will say we've always been very lucky that the kids (ALL of them) are friendly and polite and almost everyone of them says thank you.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

My parents live in southern Delaware county and they always get a lot of kids. I don't even know how much money they spend on candy. And yes, my IL's was Thursday night, even though I guess it was pretty cold and they didn't have a lot.

That blows my mind about parents dropping their kids off to go TorT'ing from the not so good areas of town. I guess we have lived in a apt for too long to remember what is was like passing out candy in my parents neighborhood.
  • Options
    I would say about half of our kids came in cars. Only a handful said thank you. :(

I just turned the lights off a bit ago because I'm exhausted. So is my dog!
  • Options
    The first group of trick or treaters we got was a bunch of older "kids". They walked up to the house already eating candy, and super loudly yelled trick or treat despite me standing right there.  I went to hand some candy to them and they just stuck their hands in and grabbed handfuls. One even took two handfuls. I was so mad, I actually said they were being rude. One girl was at least somewhat embarrassed, and made her friends apologize (though they didn't give the candy back!). However, they had the nerve to try and come back not once, but TWICE. By then, FI was out there and he flat out said "nuh uh, you've already been here''. 

They took half of our candy, and we ran out after about an hour. I'm still grumbling about it, as you can see. 
    Married December 18th, 2010 :)
  • Options
    Those assholes who put pins and razor blades in candy killed Halloween.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options

Was that you Fishy?

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DNB, your pup's costume is hilarious! Where did you find it??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards