Getting in Shape

Non-GIS related question

I just got back from my tasting at my venue and they had all sorts of different set-ups for linens, lightings, etc.  My FI are having a debate about a sweethearts table vs. having our bridal party sit with us (not lined up and facing out like a banquet table, but just sitting around a round table together) during dinner.  So I'm wondering, for all you married ladies, what did you do and what were the pros/cons.  And for those who are still planning their weddings, what are you thinking of doing.  I'm pretty much paralyzed with indecision!!

Thanks!!!

Re: Non-GIS related question

• Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We sat with our bridal party, and it was great because it was pretty much the only non-scheduled time we had with our friends.  I thought we'd be spending quality time all day, but I was so distracted during the photos and pre-ceremony stuff and then was pulled out by every friend and family member onto the dance floor, so I didn't feel like I was really getting to hang with them. So, in short, it was the 'friend time' for the evening, and I loved just being able to laugh with them over dinner and see them all having fun.    
    H and I had our quality time during some photos, having seconds of cake in our hotel room after the reception, and all through the honeymoon, so I didn't miss having a separate table or anything-I much preferred sharing a laugh or two over dinner with our friends.

Maybe I'm weird, but sometimes if I try to imagine something and it makes me subconsciously smile, I know that I have found my answer.  My advice to you - sit with FI and close your eyes, and imagine yourself at your wedding dinner.  Are you surrounded by your wedding party at a table, or are you having a quiet dinner with H?  If you're envisioning one way over the other and getting excited over the image you see in your head, then I think that should be your answer.
    Anniversary
  • Lobsters couldn't have said it any better. We did exactly what she did. And I love her suggestion about imagining it... That's kind of what H and I did... When we talked about what we pictured our wedding to be, it was always surrounded by family and our closest friends. I wouldn't have it any other way. And it didn't take away from our special time together at all.
  • We did a sweetheart and would do it again. 
    People always talk about your day "flying by". That's why we chose the sweetheart table. It let us just be.. us for a 20 hour. It was nice to sit there with just him and chat. Look at everyone today laughing and chatting... It was awesome. I will always remember that and it really helped "slow down" the whole experience. 
  • Ugh this is one of the things we still need to decide on.  I really want sweetheart, FI wants head table.  FI was in a wedding this summer and I was miserable sitting with a bunch of people that I didn't really know (and they all seemed to know each other).  FI and I were sat at exact opposite corners of the room.  We couldn't see each other at all from our tables.  And there was a huge gap between the ceremony and reception and I had nothing to do other than hang out by myself basically all day.  FI left for wedding stuff around 11 and dinner got done around 8.  Obviously I am bitter :)

So keep this in mind if some of your wedding party will have dates! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_non-gis-related-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:156f8d23-3e4f-4690-b41a-a5d59aa63e2ePost:a9eff94d-e6de-4836-8c8d-1470188b1dcf">Re: Non-GIS related question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh this is one of the things we still need to decide on.  I really want sweetheart, FI wants head table.  FI was in a wedding this summer and I was miserable sitting with a bunch of people that I didn't really know (and they all seemed to know each other).  FI and I were sat at exact opposite corners of the room.  We couldn't see each other at all from our tables.  And there was a huge gap between the ceremony and reception and I had nothing to do other than hang out by myself basically all day.  FI left for wedding stuff around 11 and dinner got done around 8.  Obviously I am bitter :) So keep this in mind if some of your wedding party will have dates! 
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

This is a good thing to remember. I forgot to mention that we sat at a big, long table (it was actually two square tables pushed together) and our BP dates sat with us. This way, no one was left out. It was fun!
  • Oh yeah, SOs for your BP would need to fit at the table, for sure.  Forgot to mention that, but assumed you would plan for as such :)
    Anniversary
  • I did a head table where Bridal Party & their SOs all sat with us. I'm sort of indifferent to this, it was really convenient for the speeches but also cumbersome to get to our spots because the table was so long. I did like having everyone close to us, but I suppose the same could be accomplished with a sweetheart table.
  • We are having a sweetheart table! Mainly because our wedding party consists of 8 people total, and we would have to make room at the head table for the 8, plus us, plus their spouses or guests. We figured that would be too many to be sitting at one table, so we picked the sweetheart option. Also, I've heard that it is nice to have a few minutes of quiet time with FI during the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much to everyone for their input.  It has been really helpful to take these to my FI to look at the pros and cons.  Plus in more unbiased than each of us just arguing for our own side in the argument.  I think we're going to end up going with the sweetheart table (which was not my choice but I'm ok with it) for logistical reasons.  

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards