Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

What flavors are you using??

We picked our flavors and fillings! 

1st Tier- Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling (My mother is unhappy about this =] )

2nd Tier- Strawberry Cake with Cherry Filling

Top Tier - Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling

Can you tell we love the red velvet and cream cheese??? lol
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 99 Invited!
image 45 Are Psyched!
image 5 Are L0$3RZ
image 49 Are MIA!

Re: What flavors are you using??

• Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  Very exciting!

Bottom tier -- Yellow cake with raspberry filling

Middle tier -- Yellow cake with buttercream filling

Top tier -- Yellow cake with rapsberry filling

The entire cake will be covered in buttercream frosting.  We're going to be saving the top tier for our anniversary.
  • Options
    angel2210angel2210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All three tiers are going to be chocolate with peanut butter filling. Chocolate cake was the one and only thing I wouldn't budge on. However, because I know some people don't like chocolate or are allergic to peanuts, I'll be ordering a groom's cake. Not sure on the flavor of that though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    aubreyaliseaubreyalise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

all 3 tiers are actually going to be key lime. it's a "light" key lime so hopefully it's neutral enough for everyone. it is our cake lady's signature flavor and delicious!

my grooms cake will be chocolate, although i don't know if that'll be at the ceremony or the RD. my original plan was the RD, but the details on that keep changing so i may just opt for the ceremony.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So far we're doing pumpkin cupcakes and  red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  We're doing a chocolate peanut butter groom's cake with a WoW theme.  And then mom and I have discussed doing a small 2-tiered vanilla cake for those that don't like a bunch of different things...not sure about that though. 

Either way, FI and I love our sweets!!!!
  • Options
    RobinischoRobinischo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All four tiers are Lemon-Lemon Chiffon with Fresh Lemon Syrup, Homemade Lemon Curd, and Italian Buttercream. We tried 3 kinds.  The others were kind of blah, but this one was amazing!   We're saving our top tier for our 1-year anniversary even though they advised us against it.  We're also looking into getting some sort of cheesecake bites.
    Bio needs to be updated badly!
  • Options
    katymarie101katymarie101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother is doing our cake for free the only thing is I don't get a say in it at all. But I do know that the grooms cake is  Chocolat and in the shape of a Top Hat.
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had really wanted to do different flavors for the different tiers but our cake baker talked us out of it. She said that we would need to increase the number of servings because people always see other flavors they want and have to go back and get that flavor. 

I don't want to have to deal with that so we're doing white cake with french vanilla mousse and fresh strawberries. It's soo delish and refreshing!  For the top tier though, we're going to do almond pound cake for ourselves.... yum!

• Options
    luckyme502luckyme502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bottom tier is lemon cake with raspberry filling, the second and third tier are red velvelt cake. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we are going with Lemon Meyer, red velvet and chocolate.

We haven't done any cake tasings yet (other than at bridal shows we have been to).  Is it premature to contact bakeries to do a cake tasting if we have 7-1/2 months til the big day?
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    Alley2bAlley2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom, her two sisters, and I are making the wedding cake ourselves (yes, we practice... I promise) After several taste testings and test bakes, we decided on...

Cream Cheese Frosting

Lemon Cake (on all 4 tiers) 

Raspberry Cream Cheese Filling (with real raspberries!) 

We've made several of these cakes for bake sales and parties, and everyone loves this the best! 

Yum!

Dana H. 

• Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't decided yet... but I know at least part will be red velvet.  It's the only kind of cake that I really like!  And it's amazing!
  • Options
    ashleylacourashleylacour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing French vanilla with mascarpone cheese filling for the main tier, fresh strawberry with cream cheese filling for the second, pina colada with cocunut filling for the third, and chocolate pistachio with espresso filling for the forth.  We did a tasting and I must admit I was obsessed with all of them. She has like 16 different options and they were all amazing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Chocolate on the bottome tier, White for the middle tier and Lemon with Raspberry filling for the top tier.  And it'll all be in almond buttercream frosting.  Then the grooms cake will be white cake with regular buttercream.  As I'm reading all of these, that red velvet sure sounds good.  Maybe I'll switch out my middle tier for red velvet since we'll have white on the groom's cake. 
  • Options
    MarsarahMarsarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The bottom layer is lemon creme (like the lemon creme cake from the Olive Garden). The second layer is chocolate with green mint creme, and the top layer is chocolate with chocolate fudge. I'm making banana chocolate macadamia nut biscotti for wedding favors. We're aren't saving the top layer because we are doing a destination wedding. The whole cake will have vanilla buttercream frosting, and each tier will be covered in fresh blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I can hardly wait!

• Options
    mflowers929mflowers929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My actual bottom layer will be a dummy cake, the first edible bottom layer will be carrot cake, I haven't decided on the middle layer yet, and the top layer will be vanilla which will be frozen for our anniversary =)
    We'll be doing it all in a buttercream (with the exception of the carrot cake layer which will be cream cheese icing) since I hate the texture of fondant.
    December 2010 siggy challenge - Caketopper:
    cake crown Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG I love the peanut butter idea mentioned above... wish i had thought of that! only thing is some guests may have allergies...
  • Options
    jelatajelata member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing while cake with cream cheese mousse for the bottom tier because it was really light and should please the masses. Then we're going with white chocolate with rasberry mousse for the second which was my FI favorite and we loved that it was fresh rasberrys but none of the seeds. And the top tier is going to be spice cake with cinnamon apple filling which I loved. I agree that buttercream frosting for the whole cake is the way to go, even marshmallow fondant just feels like eating playdoh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing cupcakes and we get to choose four flavors.  We're trying to narrow it down from: italian butter rum, chocolate cappucino, chocolate kahlua, lemon citrus, carrot cake, and chocolate decadence.  They all have cream cheese frosting.  The italian butter rum is a winner--by far the best cake I've ever tasted.
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did white cake with a butterscotch-buttercream filling, buttercream icing and fondant accents.

• Options
    beccastu06beccastu06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bottom tier - white almond sour cream cake with key lime filing, with one layer of seedless raspberry

middle tier - strawberry cake (pink) with bavarian vanilla filling

top tier (to freeze & save) - half of each!

Buttercream on the outside, no fondant.

it's a kinda crazy combo, but we love it!  :-)  can't WAIT!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing the top and bottom tier with white cake and raspberry filling and the middle tier marble cake with raspberry filling.  It will have white buttercream frosting on it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In general I'm not a cake person, so I wasn't so excited about the cake tastings. However our baker is amazing. At the tasting she said "You know they say never to trust a skinny baker!" (she's a little plump but none the less gorgeous)

Here's what she's whipping up for us:
    Vanilla Butter Cake with Strawberry Filling
    Chocolate Butter Cake with Raspberry Filling
    Both with Cream Cheese Frosting

Her cake is to die for if you're getting hitched in Portland like we are go check Wendi out. (http://www.eatsweetreats.com/)
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Red velvet and cream cheese too!

1 tier - Choc w/ choc mousse (because we are having the same for the grooms cake we decided to make this the smallest)

2 tier - White Cake with Rasp and french pastry cream filling

3 tier - Red velvet with cream cheese

It took us FOREVER to find a baker who did red velvet! Very excited

We aren't going to save our top tier because our baker gives us a free anniversary cake! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No Way! Our baker recommended that we come in 8 months before to do the tasting, but we booked them 1 year in advance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a square 4 tier cake with buttercream icing and cream cheese filling (i dont even like cream cheese) but when we for our cake testing it was soooo delicious Smile and for my FI's cake we are using the german chocolate buttercream with chocolate icing!! he absolutely loved it too
  • Options
    gldylocks01gldylocks01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't using flavored fillings. We decided to keep it simple, and the cost down! :) However, we are having chocolate cake, frosting, then yellow cake for each layer. That way, when you get a piece of cake you can choose which kind you want to eat, or both!
    Baby due March 2, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Going on Saturday to the tastingSmile
    But, I know she has chocolate with peanut butter and that will probably be a front runner for us considering we both love reese's!

Future-Mrs. from Kansas City, what an idea a wow groom cake hahaha I may have to steal that, my fiance is borderline obsessed with that game.

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    rgeddyrgeddy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    french vanilla w/ espresso filling. w/ buttercream
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_flavors-using?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ac8360aa-84b8-4ca7-9e44-78f84087faf1Post:522a6d48-2f3e-45d6-ba20-07133b9f4c8f">What flavors are you using??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We picked our flavors and fillings!  1st Tier- Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling (My mother is unhappy about this =] ) 2nd Tier- Strawberry Cake with Cherry Filling   Top Tier - Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling Can you tell we love the red velvet and cream cheese??? lol
    Posted by pandabear322[/QUOTE]

It amuses me that you have a smily face after "my mother is unhappy about this" haha
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Rita092010Rita092010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmm...we are doing champagne cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting...yummy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards