Snarky Brides

Regional Questions.

Re: Regional Questions.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:def46fac-80af-4fa7-b652-a936d585cdbd">Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]*If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state?
    *Pop or Soda?
    *Bayg or bahg? (bag)
    *Casserole or hot dish?
    *ATM or TYME Machine? feel free to add more.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Indiana
    Pop
    Bahg
    Casserole
    ATM
    Warsh (wash, though it makes me cringe)
  • Belgh grits.  Sorry, guys.  I just don't get them.

Ew to corned beef hash in other parts of the country.  Here it's super-finely chopped deliciousness.  When I ordered it in San Fran, it was whole hunks of shredded corned beef.  Ew.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:84b94439-bfae-42bd-b3ba-2931ef44ad1e">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]On line. And we have a ton of weird pronunciations and sayings. We say "Mer-i-land" instead of "Mar-y-land."  My mom still adds "r's" to every word that ends in "a".  So she says "idears" or things like "I sore" for "I saw."
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

I can't stand idear. It drives me nuts. And my mom says everything that's Mc as Mac. Like MacDonalds instead Mc. And she also says Crackle Barrel instead of Cracker Barrel. So annoying. Oh, and "oil" as "uul" or "ool." I can't even type how she says it it's so weird.
  • Inspector Gadget? WIN!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My dad says warsh!  Drives me crazy.  My grandma calls couches davenports.

Online.
    Tennis shoes.
    Market.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:fd8d4d08-062b-4fdf-9620-06b5454e08af">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Belgh grits.  Sorry, guys.  I just don't get them. Ew to corned beef hash in other parts of the country.  Here it's super-finely chopped deliciousness.  When I ordered it in San Fran, it was whole hunks of shredded corned beef.  Ew.

We were meant to be you know?

I hate grits, and I love the corned beef hash just the way you described.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:bfbafe63-015b-46b4-b506-7e4c7e8d3f27">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Regional Questions. : I can't stand idear. It drives me nuts. And my mom says everything that's Mc as Mac. Like MacDonalds instead Mc. And she also says Crackle Barrel instead of Cracker Barrel. So annoying. Oh, and "oil" as "uu" or "ool." I can't even type how she says it it's so weird.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    My grandmother used to say "oil" in certain words as "erl".  So linoleum is known as "erl cloth".  I guess it was called "oil cloth" back in the day.  Weird.

My mom's accent is thicker than mine, but I catch myself dropping "r's" or saying things like "Meriland" although I don't add r's.  I wrote a paper this summer analyzing our speech patterns and we're pretty much the same. (FI and I--Midwest/EastCoast)
  • mm big thick chunks of corn beef.... mmm sauerkraut.... mmm Rueben sandwiches.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:b8f50fe4-c4fe-4297-9f98-5e2a07d4282c">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Regional Questions. : We were meant to be you know? I hate grits, and I love the corned beef hash just the way you described.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]
    I always knew it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:7808c598-5487-474d-993e-2bafa6b0de93">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]mm big thick chunks of corn beef.... mmm sauerkraut.... mmm Rueben sandwiches.

Those are seriously tasty.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:7808c598-5487-474d-993e-2bafa6b0de93">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]mm big thick chunks of corn beef.... mmm sauerkraut.... mmm Rueben sandwiches.

All of this sounds disgusting and now I'm craving a big bowl of cheese grits. Yummy.
  • We say coney sauce (the stuff that goes on hot dogs, kinda like chili), but H's family in NY call it hot meat sauce.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:954e1dab-bcf4-4ea2-a7cc-715eaac02016">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We say coney sauce (the stuff that goes on hot dogs, kinda like chili), but H's family in NY call it hot meat sauce.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    Nathan says "coney" for hot dogs.  The first itme I heard that I was like WTF?  And his mom said, "You should know COney Island!"  I said, "I know that at Coney Island, we call them hot dogs."
  • Yeah it's Coney Dogs here as well. Or Chili Dogs.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2010
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? North Carolina

*Pop or Soda? Coke or Soda

*Bayg or bahg? (bag) grocery bahg

*Casserole or hot dish? Casserole.  A "hot dish" would just be a heated plate, it wouldn't be full of anything to eat.

*ATM or TYME Machine? ATM or "cash machine"

- tennis shoes

- buggy

- grocery store

- in line of standing and waiting, on line for being on the internet

- I say "cut on the light" instead of "turn on"  I've been told that's weird.

ETA: here they're hot dogs, unless you go to Sonic and get a coney, but that's the only place.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:7fbea6de-63ce-427e-8ed8-6a8d4f12b46c">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Regional Questions. : Nathan says "coney" for hot dogs.  The first itme I heard that I was like WTF?  And his mom said, "You should know COney Island!"  I said, "I know that at Coney Island, we call them hot dogs."
    Coney dogs are different than hot dogs here. Coneys have sauce and sometimes mustard and onions. At least that's how it is in Northern Indiana.
  • edited October 2010
    I just asked him and coney dog is for a hot dog with stuff on it, but he's not sure what.  So he probably uses it the same way as you do, Mara.

ETA: Everything is a hot dog here.  Hot dog with mustard, hot dog with onions, chili dog, etc.  No coneys.  But now that we have Sonic, maybe that will change.
  • For me - I call the tv remote control a clicker.
    panther
  • I love coney dogs. Especially with mustard and onions and a side of crinkle cut fries. One of the best hot dogs I've had was at a Colts game. But only from the Hoosier Dome. Lucas Oil Stadium's food sucks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:e6f1f27b-7b72-487d-ae28-997aebd0d192">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me - I call the tv remote control a clicker.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

My mom calls it "the power." But I'm pretty sure she says it so she can say to my stepdad, "give me the power" and he hands it over. She's clever like that.
  • Most people around here call ottomans footrests. But I call it an ottoman. Dining room table is usually the kitchen table, regardless of location.
  • *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state?
    California 

*Pop or Soda?
    Soda
    Isn't it in some parts of the south that a lot of people call all sodas a Coke? Then they specify with things like '7-up Coke' or 'Dr Pepper Coke'??

*Bayg or bahg? (bag)
    Bahg 

*Casserole or hot dish?
    Casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine?
    ATM. Never even heard of someone calling it a tyme machine. Weird.
  • N says "yet" for "still."  He'll say things like "I'm hungry yet" whereas I would only say "I'm still hungry."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:e6f1f27b-7b72-487d-ae28-997aebd0d192">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:

Me too!

Also yes I meant on or in line as in waiting in line. My Long Island friends always say waiting on line instead of waiting in line. I think it's funny.
    Photobucket
  • I have a lot of idioms I have picked up from my mom that I did not realize were not the proper terms for said items until people had no clue what  I was talking about!

the best example I can think of is calling a cordless phone a "walk phone"

i went to intermediate school instead of a jr high or middle school.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:e6f1f27b-7b72-487d-ae28-997aebd0d192">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:

<div>I call it the "twanger", which is short for "magic twanger". My uncle was the first person I knew to have a remote for his tv, and that's what he called it. It stuck. </div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2010
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? Indiana.  I am incredibly sad that my parents are putting their house on the market and looking to move soon, so I won't have a "home" there anymore :(
    *Pop or Soda? Pop all the way
    *Bayg or bahg? (bag) I'm deaf, so not the best person to ask.
    *Casserole or hot dish? Casserole
    *ATM or TYME Machine? ATM.  I've never heard of a TYME machine.
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state?
    -South Dakota legally, but I spent most of my early life in Europe

*Pop or Soda?
    -Soda.  i hate that people say pop out here

*Bayg or bahg? (bag)
    -I don't think I usually say bag.  Sack, clutch, purse... but not bag

*Casserole or hot dish?
    -Casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine?
    -A.T.M.

*Sneakers or tennis shoes?
    -Trainers

*Cart or buggy?
    -Either if pulled by a horse. Trolley in a grocery store

*Grocery store or supermarket?
    -Grocery

*Sack or bag?
    -Sack

*In line or On line
    -on queue

*You all, y'all or all y'all?
    -You all, but y'all just for fun
  • *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state?
    VA, although I still feel more comfortable back in WI (born there)

*Pop or Soda? Soda here, pop if I'm around people who won't look at me strangely.

*Bayg or bahg? (bag)
    Bayg

*Casserole or hot dish?
    Casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine?
    ATM Machine ;)

*What you use to change the channel*
    Remote

*What you put groceries in at the store*
    Cart (also have heard buggy)
  • *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? Oklahoma

*Pop or Soda? I grew up saying "pop" but now I say "soda"

*Bayg or bahg? (bag) bahg, even though it took me forever to figure out what the F this meant!

*Casserole or hot dish? I call everything "Corningware"

*ATM or TYME Machine? ATM

Sneakers or tennis shoes? Tennis Shoes

Cart or buggy? Buggy - THANK YOU! NO one down here has heard of that

Grocery store or supermarket? Grocery store

Sack or bag? Bag

Here's one: You all, y'all or all y'all? Y'all

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards