Iowa-Des Moines

Wedding Dress Help Needed!!

Hi all,
I haven't posted on here before, but I think I have hit a dead end in planning. I went dress shopping last friday with my Mom and my MOH. We had appointments at Wedding By Design and Bridal Boutique. I am a plus sized bride who is very tall (6' 1" in fact) who wants a rather untraditional gown. I am interested in the La Sposa line, but I am too tall for any of their gowns. Here is a link so you get an idea. http://www.splasposa.com/  I don't know where to look next. I had an awful experience at Bridal Boutique, my bridal consultant didn't let me try on anything and rushed me through the appointment. Where do I go from here? I am nervous about ordering online because of my height. I also want to keep my dress well under $600. I want a bohemian simple dress, that makes me look like a million bucks. Just like any bride wants.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Dress Help Needed!!

• edited December 2011
    Hello!

Welcome to the board! The La Sposa dresses are beautiful, but are well over $600. I used to work at Schaffers Bridal and these dresses are well over $1,000. You can probably find a private label dress that looks similair to the La Sposa lines that may be around your budget. Also, ask your bridal consultants to see dresses that are available in tall. Usually, it's at an additional cost to order the tall length but at least the dress will be the perfect length :). Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on where else to look...
  • edited December 2011
    Ahh, wedding dress shopping! A great experience, but also hard since it's SO important!
    Considering what the last person said, about the price point of La Sposa gowns, have you considered David's Bridal? I'm not a huge fan of DB to begin with, but they do have fantastic prices. At least check out online first to see if there's anything worthwhile.
    The Bridal Connection in Ankeny had a sale recently - I wonder if it's still going on or they still have sale prices?
    I got my dress from the Bridal Boutique during their day after Thanksgiving sample sale. I mainly liked it because they didn't help you - you just got to pick and try on all on your own.
    Good luck! I didn't have too many suggestions, but I hope you find something you love!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm actually slightly over 6'1", so I know what a pain it was to look for dresses.  I actually went to David's Bridal.  They have a large selection of plus-sized gowns and most they can order in extra length (either 3" extra or 5" extra).  Also, they have all of the different sizes in stock so you can actually try something on in your size, which is a big plus.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would also check places in Omaha, I know it seems super far to drive but you can get alterations done here, and they are a bigger city so should have more selections!

Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011

I have this problem with all 3 of my sister bridesmaids.  They are all 6'3".  Turns out Mori Lee is a designer that is extra long - they are all considered extra length.  I just got my dress that was a Mori Lee and I am 5'8" and I am cutting 4 inches off with heels on.  My dress was $400.  Hopefully this will help!

• mpayseurmpayseur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your help! I think I am an unusual case not only because of my body type but because I want and un-bridal bridal look as well. I explored a few stores in Minneapolis but they offer pretty traditional dresses. I had no idea that Mori Lee is already longer. It makes sense because both of my prom dresses were Mori Lee. Thanks again all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You may be surprised at what alterations can do! I found a dress I loved and they had to add 2 1/2 inches to it. (I'm 6' also). It looked great, like it was supposed to be the way they changed it.
    I got it at a place in Oskaloosa called Bridal dreams. They are AWESOME. Alterations in house and very reasonable. I think they have a fairly good selection of plus sizes too. I bought mine off the rack for $400 and I'm not sure how much alterations were but in the past they haven't been terribly expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards