Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Arms

I just started a jogging routine to tone up, but was curious if anyone had any really great toning exercises for the upper arms.  I'd like them to be somewhat cut, but I don't want to look like the Hulk:D

Also, does anyone else get little red bumps on their upper arms?  I'm really fair-skinned, so everything shows on my skin and I have no idea how to get these to go away.

TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Arms

• Pushups are great for the arms, shoulders, and chest.  You can also do chair dips to help tone the backside of your arms through the tricep area.  If you have access to free weights, rows work well also.  You can get a lot of good advice from the girls on the Getting In Shape board too.

As for the bumps, are they there all the time or only show up with certain triggers?  And are just the bumps red, or is it the surrounding skin as well?
  • Once we move, we'll be able to set up our row machine and weight machine, so that'll probably help a LOT.  But we also have a lot of free weights, so that's a good place to start.  Also the chair dips.  My upper body strength is pretty pathetic which makes me feel like a flipped turtle unable to get up when I try pushups, but maybe if I start with the weights, gain some strength that way, I'll actually be able to do a pushup.

They're all the time and it's just the bumps.  The skin around them is normal colored.  I've tried exfoliating, but that just seems to aggravate the skin on my arms and the bumps themselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have trouble with pushups, try doing some on your knees instead of your toes.  That will help you start building up strength to go to "regular" pushups.  Dips you can make easier by keeping your feet in closer to your body, almost like you're sitting in a chair, as opposed to keeping them out in front of you like for normal ones.  The row machine will be FANTASTIC, because that will not only do great things for your arms, but it's quite the cardio workout!

I've got nothing on the skin bumps...have you tried talking to a dermatologist?
  • I have those little bumps on the back of my upper arms.  I believe they are called keratosis pilaris.  From what I understand they are hereditary(!).  Bleh.  My first dermatologist told me there isn't anything you can do about them, but then I read that you can try Amlactin, which is a moisturizing lotion with alpha-hydroxy acids.  I've been using it twice a day for about a month, but sadly haven't seen any change.  :(  Sephora also sells something called KP Duty for the bumps that some people seem to like.  I'm probably going to try that next. 

As for toning - definitely try the dips people above described, and push-ups.  They work wonders!!!

• Dips and push ups that target the deltoids. Keep yours hands closer together and arms as  close to yours sides as you can when moving up and down. Free weights can also be a good option.

Anniversary
  • Pushups and tricep dips are simple & effective. Consider a pull-up bar (or head to the local playground!) and start with a flexed arm hang. Assuming you're a woman, you won't look like the Hulk pretty much no matter what you do. The craziest, strongest chicks at my Crossfit box have defined muscles for sure but not a one of them is bulky and they can lift more than you would believe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You have plenty of time and great advice here on how to tone your arms. Let me put to rest the little red bumps. Let your photographer deal with them. If your photograher doesn't ask about any personal concerns or what you both are rather sensitive to in your photos, and reassure you that they will deal with them, pick someone else. Those little red bumps are a quick flick of the editing wand. In person, no one notices them except you. In pictures ask your photographer to make them gone. Piece of cake!
  • Resistance bands are great for toning all over.  I found one that came with a great DVD for maybe $15.  I would really recommend that.  

As far as the little red bumps go, those are pretty normal.  I lot of fairer-skinned people get them, particularly when they tan a lot.  If you do tan a lot, you might want to consider a different method.  Otherwise, you can see a dermatologist but everyone I know that has them really bad doesn't seem to have found a way to get rid of them, so your best bet might actually be to use a light makeup or bronzer to cover them up on your wedding day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_arms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:840ad465-4b94-4ec2-ae07-0363cf3c0b9bPost:ebabeeb2-adf4-48e0-ae4f-8b903d7b563d">Re: Arms</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>If you have trouble with pushups, try doing some on your knees instead of your toes. </strong> That will help you start building up strength to go to "regular" pushups.  Dips you can make easier by keeping your feet in closer to your body, almost like you're sitting in a chair, as opposed to keeping them out in front of you like for normal ones.  The row machine will be FANTASTIC, because that will not only do great things for your arms, but it's quite the cardio workout! I've got nothing on the skin bumps...have you tried talking to a dermatologist?
    Posted by dogsandfrogs[/QUOTE]

LOL wait, pushups on my knees don't count??? :D :D  I can't even imagine trying to manage ones on my toes at this point... I'm not pear-shaped at all, but all of my body's strength seems to be in my lower half.  It's kinda pathetic, tbh.

I can't WAIT for the row machine.  I'll just be able to go in the basement, blast the music, leave the pets upstairs and row until I pass out!

Any dermatologist I've seen thinks they're no big deal and, to be honest, they're probably not as big of a deal as I think they are.  It's just because they're on my arms that they're magnified (to me) so much more.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_arms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:840ad465-4b94-4ec2-ae07-0363cf3c0b9bPost:86770657-f4fa-4147-af0a-351e02e6a684">Re: Arms</a>:
    [QUOTE]Resistance bands are great for toning all over.  I found one that came with a great DVD for maybe $15.  I would really recommend that.   As far as the little red bumps go, those are pretty normal.  I lot of fairer-skinned people get them, particularly when they tan a lot.  If you do tan a lot, you might want to consider a different method.  Otherwise, you can see a dermatologist but everyone I know that has them really bad doesn't seem to have found a way to get rid of them, so your best bet might actually be to use a light makeup or bronzer to cover them up on your wedding day.
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

I think I've actually got a resistance band somewhere (and a pilates circle... I should dig up those DVDs, actually.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I have an arm-central DVD...)

I actually don't tan at all... because I'm so fair, I make a point of staying out of the sun, or wearing long sleeves and a hat if I'm going to be out in the sun and slathering on the sunscreen.  But I'm definitely going to try out some makeups on my arms and see how that works out!  Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a few arm toning moves that are perfect for TV watching:

arm circles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvlPQMe4gL8)
    i usually do about 2 minutes each way without weights. if that's easy, add 2-5lbs.  this will work your arms, shoulders, back/abs/core.

arm raises with 2-5lbs. (hold your arms out in front of you, raise above your head, and lower back down.) (variation: arms down at your sides, lift up as far backwards as you can, lower back down)

chair or stair dips

pushups (arms wide, arms normal, diamond)

...the key to not 'hulk', is to use low weights and more repititions or time.  this will concentrate on toning using your own body weight/resistance, instead of building large amounts of muscle.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_arms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:840ad465-4b94-4ec2-ae07-0363cf3c0b9bPost:733b3977-bb62-4ebc-8b5a-67999c9ede08">Re: Arms</a>:
    [QUOTE]a few arm toning moves that are perfect for TV watching: arm circles ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvlPQMe4gL8)" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvlPQMe4gL8)</a> i usually do about 2 minutes each way without weights. if that's easy, add 2-5lbs.  this will work your arms, shoulders, back/abs/core. arm raises with 2-5lbs. (hold your arms out in front of you, raise above your head, and lower back down.) (variation: arms down at your sides, lift up as far backwards as you can, lower back down) chair or stair dips pushups (arms wide, arms normal, diamond) ...the key to not 'hulk', is to use low weights and more repititions or time.  this will concentrate on toning using your own body weight/resistance, instead of building large amounts of muscle.
    Posted by gymbugmj2k[/QUOTE]

These are all great suggestions!  Thank you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i have the bumps on my arms and legs and they're EVIL! I hate them. From what I've found, it could either be eczema or keratosis pilaris. I plan on going to a derm soon here to start some kind of treatment
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While trying on a wedding dress, I asked my 3 year old niece what she thought. She responded "where are your glass slippers?"
  • I have those lil arm bumps too.  Using moisturizer on them when still slightly dmap from the shower seems to help, but really they aren't noticable to anyone else.
  • Totally sounds like KP ... I have had if forever. I try to just moisturize and it helps BUT if there is something special coming up or for summertime when sleeveless options are always there, I use Amlactin twice a day RELIGIOUSLY. It works. I have heard similar about KP Duty although have not tried it myself. Eucerin also helps and they used to make a Eucerin body wash that was the bomb, but I haven't been able to find it here in the styx in a long while. 

And for toning .. .skull crushers with small dumbells, bicep curls with a band and a kajillion chair dips and you will be looking fine!
  • I did the 100 push up challenge and had amazing results, I thought my arms were fine, but did this with my sister, as she needed to do for her fitness class, anyways, absolutely love my arms now, and people comment all the time of them, and ask what I did...  would definitely google it, costs nothing and is effective!
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards