Massachusetts-Boston

Serving Cake if 2 flavor options

So my venue stated that if we go with 2 cake flavors then we should have it presented at a dessert table.  We weren't going to have any other desserts available but we could add chocolate dipped fruit at a reasonable price. 

So my question to you all -
Did you have 2+ wedding cake flavors?
Was it served at the tables or on a dessert table?
If on a dessert table, do I need other desserts as well?

Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Serving Cake if 2 flavor options

• edited December 2011
    Did you have 2+ wedding cake flavors? Yes
    Was it served at the tables or on a dessert table? It was served at a dessert table.
    If on a dessert table, do I need other desserts as well? We had other desserts, but I don't think other desserts are necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having two flavors and they serve it so every other person gets a different flavor. For example, a couple would each get different flavors and would be able to share. We are also having a dessert table but I don't think it's necessary at all. My parents are very old school and wouldn't have it any other way.
  • edited December 2011
    Was it served at the tables or on a dessert table? Dessert table
    If on a dessert table, do I need other desserts as well? No

I had initially planned on doing the cake plated but our event coordinator suggested that it be stationed at a "dessert table" because we had more than one flavor.  She also explained that people like to eat dessert at different times, like during a break from dancing, etc. so this way it gives people options and the serving of dessert doesn't stop the party.  I must say, it worked pretty well!
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Was it served at the tables or on a dessert table? Yes

If on a dessert table, do I need other desserts as well? We had another dessert that was served to every guest (chocolate fruit cup), but that was only because it was included in our package. I would not have paid extra for another dessert.

I think the cake displayed on a dessert table is nice, because if people don't want cake they don't get served it, and they could have 2 pieces, and try both flavors, if they wanted!

Also- we had about 150 guests, ordered enough cake for 100 people and there was a lot leftover. Not everyone likes cake, and some people may leave before it is served, or just be too busy dancing!

• edited December 2011
    We are having 2 flavors and a dessert table, plus a gelato bar, but I don't think you need to have any extra desserts. Like PP said, not everyone will eat the cake. Plus, by the point in the evening, people are up and dancing and sitting at other tables to chat. They won't want to eat the piece in front of them because it is someone else's seat, but when they go back to their seat, they don't know who was sitting there... you know? So I prefer a dessert table. I am also ordering for less than the number of people coming, since I know there is usually a lot of leftover cake.
  • edited December 2011
    No we are just having one flavor

It will be served at the table

I don't think you need other desserts, cake is fine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • baystate09baystate09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having 3 flavors: chocolate w/raspberry filling, golden w/raspberry filling, and plain chocolate :-)

It will be served at the tables

I don't think anyone will complain or even notice if there are no other desserts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had 2 flavors, and  served it at a dessert table.  I did have chocolate covered fruit, but I don't think that it is necessary.  I've seen it done both ways.  
    12/12/2009
  • edited December 2011

Thanks everyone!

lnarey - you were married at The Commons, right?  How was the chocolate covered fruit? Was it just strawberries?  Thanks for the info!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had two cake flavors and they were served at the tables.  I think basically they gave people one of the flavors, and if people really wanted they could ask to switch.  We did not have any other desserts. 
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We had two flavors, but it was because we had a bride's cake (vanilla cake) and a groom's cake (chocolate).  Waiters brought 50/50 trays to each table for the guests, and the rest was placed on the coffee/dessert table in case people wanted extra.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards