Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Where did you go to get your cake in the Boston area? Is $800 for a simple wedding cake reasonable?

I am looking for a simple wedding cake to serve about 200 people.  I just want to have simple ribbon around the edges of each tier and real flowers at the top. Also, I would like butter cream frosting with real flowers on the top and sides of tier to bring out more color.  I went this past weekend to a do a cake tasting at Icing on the cake and I haven't tried anything else.  I am open to doing the sheet cake in the back for extra slices to save myself money.  I feel like I need to try another cake place out as I am not sure if the $800 I got quoted is the best deal I can get for a cake. 

Re: Where did you go to get your cake in the Boston area? Is $800 for a simple wedding cake reasonable?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Donna's cakes out of West Roxbury.  Her cakes are delicious and her prices are really great.  I'm doing cupcakes so I can't quote a price for a cake but I do know her prices are less then what you are paying.

That being said I do think what you got quoted is pretty average.

Goodluck!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    blaharnblaharn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ew,no! That's a lot of money! My cake is very similar to yours with the ribbon and flowers and it's just over $300 from Dessert Works. And it's delicious :) I know that a lot of people love Konditor Meister as well and their price point is similar.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used the Bean Counter Bakery out of Shrewbury (I believe they have a location in Worcester as well).  I also went to Icing on the Cake for a tasting - the prices were comparable at Iciing on the Cake (maybe even a liittle cheaper), but we liked the cake at Bean Counter better.  Anyway, I think the price you were quoted seems pretty standard

Here's a link to the bean counter gallery in case you are interested in checking them out.

http://beancounterbakery.com/portfolio.php?c=1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest Dessert Works, depending on where in MA you are. Our cake from there is included in our venue package, but their cakes are delicious and from what I hear their prices are pretty reasonable too. (if you go there make sure you try the dolce de leche cake...so good!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bean Counter Bakery is totally worth the trip! Oh my goodness they have good cake! Alice is so talented and her cakes are gorgeous. I cannot say enough nice things about her. She was so nice to deal with and I thought her prices were reasonable. Her frosting is the best, too. We did 4 tastings and hers was hands-down the best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay - another Bean Counter fan!  They are totally the best.

I also meant to mention in my post above that I did the extra sheet cake to cut down on price. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cake was $800, BUT we had a really elaborate cake with handmade edible sea shells, sanddollars, and starfish cascading down it and on the top. Ours was also fondant, and 4 tiers.

I think that would be too much money to spend on a simple type cake...we used Montillios, so I'm sure their prices are good for the type of cake you have in mind.
    Mr. and Mrs. Sharkdiver!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $ 800 sounds very expensive to me, but my cake was part of my package so I don't have a feel for what cakes cost.
     I will say that we did indeed use Icing on the Cake though, and people are still raving about how good it was!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have 236 guest.  My quotes range from $4 per slice to $4.75 per slice.

My design was just a white frosted cake with single dots going around it in a diamond pattern with blue ribbon along the base of each of the 4 tiers.

$944-$1121.  Those are even NH prices.  Cake costs are kinda crazy I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If your venue has a package deal with the cake included, it's worth asking them if they will give you a credit if you use another cake vendor. Also, if you go off-package, you should check if they'll charge a cake cutting fee. If they do charge a fee, that might negate any potential savings from getting a less expensive cake.

If you don't have a package and you can choose whichever vendor you want, I don't feel like $800 is too out there. If it's supposed to feed 200 people, then that's $4 a slice, which is pretty average as wedding cakes go.
  • Options
    SandaPandaSandaPanda member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $800 is on the high side.  Generally it is about $3.00 per slice...We are serving 100 people and spend about $300-350...and got a simple cake as well but 3 tiers.  Our vendor is Konditormeister...and we loved their cake selections/flavors. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We also used Dessert Works and they were great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $4 a slice isnt bad.  Its not a deal, but its in the normal range.  I would look for other vendors to see if you can get a better deal.

We got our cake from Cakes for Occasions.  I dont suggest them.  They treated us like a cattle call at our tasting and all of the cake was frozen that we tried.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

$800 for a butter cream cake sounds kind of high. I am using montillios, I am paying more than that for my cake, but it is covered in fondant and is elaborate, so I was expecting to pay more. but they are resonable, and their cake is great. You really can't go wrong with them.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm sorry you did not have a good experience here with us at Cakes for Occasions. We pride ourselves on high quality cakes and impeccable customer service.

While we manage a busy store front (especially on Saturdays) we do not want any bride to ever feel rushed in their decision making which is why we book private 1 hour appointments in our designated bride’s room.   While some appointments can go longer and others may not take as much time, we always offer a second (or even a 3rd, if necessary) so the bride does not feel rushed. We try not to have appointments run over so that we do not impose on the appointment scheduled afterwards because we respect and realize that time off for a bride is valuable, especially when they are in the planning stage of their wedding and they may have multiple appointments booked for one day. Perhaps the store was busy that day or you may have needed additional time in deciding on your cake, which we would have been more than happy to schedule a second appointment.

Regarding your second issue.  All the cakes that we create are stored at refrigerated temperatures Not knowing which flavors you tried, all mousse cakes have gelatin and are a little more firm directly out of the refrigerator but certainly not frozen.  Typically, we always inform the couple that the cakes were just pulled from the refrigerator, perhaps this was not mentioned, for which I apologize.
    Sincerely
    Kelly Delaney
    Owner

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards