Attire & Accessories Forum

Average bridesmaid dress cost??

Hey! I have been trying to find our how much the average bridesmaid spends on their dress, but haven't come up with anything. I don't have a dress picked out yet. Does anyone know  what an average cost would be? Is $150.00 too much? I think that would be our cap. I don't want people to get a dress that they can't really afford in these times but I want the dress to look nice. Any thoughts would be great, thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Average bridesmaid dress cost??

• You need to pull aside each of your bridesmaids individually and ask them what they're willing to spend. You should be able to find something within that range, but if not, you can subsidize the costs.

It's not fair to just try to pick an average number and assume everyone is willing or able to pay that much.
  • I agree- pull them aside and ask what they are comfortable spending. They'll let you know!

If you looking for general price ranges, I can tell you the ones my girls ordered were 125 (they were cheaper to begin with and we got a good discount because I ordered them at the same place I got my own dress). I was in a wedding two summers ago where I paid 220.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having mismatched dresses (one color that I approve first but they can get their fun cocktail type dress at any store...so it'll be easier for them to find ones on sale or within their individual price range).
    This is becoming very popular and makes the wedding party look like less of a recital. As long as you monitor it to how you vision, you'll love the outcome and they'll LOVE you even more for letting them choose their own budget.
  • My bridesmaids dresses were $198...but the store (Priscilla of Boston) offered a 10% discount.  Not a whole lot off, but it helped.
  • While $150 is indeed about average, that's more than a lot of people can afford.  You need to ask each girl individually what she's willing and able to spend before you start shopping.  Telling someone the national average isn't going to make money magically appear in their bank account.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My BM's dresses were $175 but the shop I chose had free alterations so $175 is what they paid and not a penny more.
  • I thought $150 was going to be a LOT to ask but all my BM's actually (individually) said that they'd be willing to pay more ($200) if it was a dress they could see themselves wearing again and it was good quality. I know people have already said this - but ask them what they would be comfortable to pay. Also consider accessories (if you want them all in the exact same pair of shoes) and if they will also be paying for their hair & makeup. It's a lot to think about but you'd rather settle it now than have a silly argument months later. Best of luck! 
  • lilcassers

Perhaps I should have asked my FIL's family to tell me what their 'salary bracket' was before choosing the BM dresses.  That is just ludicrous. Not all lawyers and doctors are so elitist that they would only seek to purchase things at a certain money level. 

I have to say - I don't care if my wedding dress or any of my BMs dresses cost a whole five dollars.  If we looked good and felt pretty in what we're wearing, then that's all that matters - not how much we spent on the attire.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_average-bridesmaid-dress-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:94b58f09-dbcb-4a71-91c4-d8b89626765ePost:b0f4b5c1-b0c2-4957-a222-7883edb5feea">Re: Average bridesmaid dress cost??</a>:
    [QUOTE] I have to say - I don't care if my wedding dress or any of my BMs dresses cost a whole five dollars.  If we looked good and felt pretty in what we're wearing, then that's all that matters - not how much we spent on the attire.
    Posted by Missa513[/QUOTE]

I agree with this! I think as long as everyone in happy, comfortable and looks nice it will all work out in the end. 

I never even thought about asking my BMs! I have 6- and a wide range of pay checks. I have been in 2 weddings in the past few years and I was never asked about my price range.....I didn't think much of it. I felt that if someone thought of me enough to be in their wedding party I should be able to buy the dress that comes with my commitment. I think I spent about $200 all together for each wedding.

I think I might just be stuck because I want to please everyone but it is not going to happen. I have time to figure it all out! Thanks for all your comments. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_average-bridesmaid-dress-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:94b58f09-dbcb-4a71-91c4-d8b89626765ePost:b029c457-9486-41ea-9814-e65e60438b57">Re: Average bridesmaid dress cost??</a>:
    [QUOTE]"average" depends on the salary bracket of the group you hang out with. $150 is cheap for my fiance's rich jewish family who are doctors and lawyers where $150 is about what my girls were willing to spend on their dresses for my wedding.
    Posted by lilcassers[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy tackiness! You'll want to make sure you curb phrases like "rich jewish family" when you are around your in-laws! </div><div>
    </div><div>Some pointers from someone also marrying into a Jewish family: </div><div>
    </div><div>1. Bringing up Jewishness in relation to wealth or certain careers is a double edged sword... it's true that a high percentage of Jewish people are in careers that require higher education and are high paying, but you will come across Mel Gibson crazy if you do not tactfully tread that thin line. </div><div>
    </div><div>2. Your comment seems to make reference to JAPs: Jewish American Princesses. If you are not Jewish, you don't get to use the term. It's like gay men using the other F-word... it's off limits if you aren't part of the group. </div><div>
    </div><div>3. His "Jewish family" will become your Jewish family. It's a religion, not a novelty. You will be expected to celebrate the same holidays with them and at least, expose and explain both religions to your children. It's really a beautiful faith that values forgiveness, education, respecting women/wives, remembering people that have passed on and appreciating the goodness of life. </div><div>
    </div><div>4. Rich should be used to describe the texture of cheesecake. Wealthy refers to people that have significant assets. </div>
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • Have any of you checked out WeddingtonWay.com?  It's an online boutique for bridesmaid dresses!  Super cute dresses that are reasonably priced (dessy collection, coren moore, and simple silhouettes, i think)!  I had my bridesmaids buy their dresses online, and it was a total of $158 for each bridesmaids (alfred sung styles).  They were extremely easy to work with (they sent me large swatches of the colors in the fabrics that I wanted), and best of all, i didn't have to coordinate with my bridesmaids and have to go to a store!  We were able to complete the purchasing process all on Weddington Way's website! AND, I was able to ask my bridesmaids what styles they liked by using Weddington Way's bridesmaids ranking tool!

Anyway, sorry for the long post!  I just got really excited, because i was so worried about the purchasing process, and just had a really great experience working with Weddington Way!  Wanted to throw it out there for all of you to check out too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards