Maine

wedding bands

So...FI and I went to look at wedding bands yesterday. I know this is a decision I'll have to make on my own, but figured it might help posting here too. I am torn between a simple thin, knife's edge, platinum band and a knife's edge channel set platinum band. There's a good $1500 difference for the diamonds, but I really adore this band. 

FI told me that I should get the more expensive one if that's what I like because I'll be wearing it my whole life, "so that works out to less than 12 cents per day." haha. I understand that it's an investment. I guess I'm just uncomfortable spending the money on myself, knowing we're paying for the wedding, the honeymoon, etc. Has anyone else struggled with this? 

I do like both bands very much. I guess my thinking is: I like both so I should buy the less expensive, though I do like the channel-set one better. I think I also have guilt about already having an incredibly sparkly and expensive ring already...

Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!

Re: wedding bands

• edited December 2011
    I am getting a thin plain platinum band.  The decision was kind of made for me because I am having a Jewish ceremony, and the wedding bands are supposed to be uninterrupted by stones or engraving (and I don't want a separate ceremony band).  

I think it's a little more practical for me to have the plain band, too.  If I'm doing something outside or active and I want to take off my diamond ring, I can still wear the plain band.  My engagement ring isn't super blingy, but it's definitely sparkly diamonds, so there might also be occasions where I don't want to wear the more expensive ring for whatever reason.  I think channel-set diamonds are harder to keep clean.  

That said, if you would be happier with the diamond band and would regret not having it, I think you should get it.  
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My engagement ring has channel set princess cut diamonds on each side of the center diamond, so I want to get a similar band to match it.  If I can manage it, I want to get two so I can wear one on each side of my e-ring, but I'm pretty sure buying both before the wedding is not in the budget right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with your FI. This is something you will wear EVERY day for the rest of your life.  My band was expensive and we both gulped a bit.  The ring he bought did not have a matching band and it's very unique (a little bowed shape, diamonds on the front of the band and backside) so we couldn't find a band that matched up nicely.  We decided to have one custom made and it was probably double what we thought we'd spend.   We don't regret it though.  If you can make it work, do it without guilt!  It's the one "piece" of the wedding you wear every day. 
    Married 9.4.11
  • Krista521Krista521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i vote for the diamonds!  when you think about it, after the wedding is over you have your hubby<3, pictures to enjoy and your rings, the rest is a memory for the most part.  It may not seem practical now but someday your rings could turn into heirlooms and not only that it seems to me that your incredibly sparkly and expensive ring now would be lonely without a beautiful sparkly wedding band to match!  Go with your gut, my gut would def tell me diamonds :)  

another thought, get just the band now and wait for the diamond band for an anniversary gift down the road.. you can always stack your rings!  my e ring is a 3 stone princess cut and we had a hard time finding a band that fits the shape and that i like (that was actually the tricky part) .. so when we did.. a nine round cut stone curved band with a milled edge, i wanted to buy two! to put one on each side of my e ring.. so we bought the one and my future hubby said wait a couple years for an anniversary to get the next one.  Its just a thought for you ... and it would be like you aren't actually saying no, you are just saying not now. 
    Anniversary
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate all your thoughtful posts. You've given me a lot to think over. I can see both sides of this issue and I'm not sure yet what I'll end up choosing. 
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with pp's!  You're gonna wear it for forever so get the one you really want.

When we went looking, we just picked out what we liked and did not look at price until the decision was made.  We wanted to make sure we got something we will love forever without price weighing our decisions.

I say go for it if you really love it!
  • H&S091711H&S091711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a tough decision, and one we went through too. In the end we went for the more expensive option, as long term we both knew that's what I wanted. Even though it meant more upfront cost, there is no point in getting a plain band now and then replacing it down the road because lets face it, even a plain platinum band isn't chump change. I say get what you really want. You didn't settle on the man, why settle on the ring ;)
    Offbeat Brides & September 2011 August Siggys - Pets and Honeymoon Location: Roatan, Honduras!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • teagan1985teagan1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose a plain band because my engagement ring is flashy and I wanted my wedding ring to be a humble symbol of commitment.  However, if you are less of a 16th century puritan than I am, and you can afford it, go for the bling!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having a simular problem. We just went to look at bands, and my ring is an emerald and a ..marquis? cut. Like.. < > and they didn't have anything that fit it. Which is odd, but anyway..so I can either do custom, which is very expensive and I think would look odd to have a band with a < in it (what do you think?) or get a different band and wear my engagement ring on the other hand. Sucky. So, what do you guys think?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_wedding-bands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:6e067b7d-aa40-41e4-8a07-f33b147c6257Post:12693aac-2c41-49b5-801a-0de485e81216">Re: wedding bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a simular problem. We just went to look at bands, and my ring is an emerald and a ..marquis? cut. Like.. < /> and they didn't have anything that fit it. Which is odd, but anyway..so I can either do custom, which is very expensive and I think would look odd to have a band with a < in it (what do you think?) or get a different band and wear my engagement ring on the other hand. Sucky. So, what do you guys think?
    Posted by shandorfml2[/QUOTE]

<div>My engagement ring is three oval cut diamonds, and I would also need a custom band with a v to get it to fit flush.  I don't think it will look odd with both on, but I will probably wear only my wedding band sometimes (like I explained in my earlier post in this thread), and I agree with you that it will look odd on its own.  I am thinking about trying to wear a plain band with it, and switch my e ring to my other hand if it looks like it's causing any damage.  You can also get your two rings soldered together.  They could probably put little spacers in or something to keep them the right distance apart and prevent them from rubbing. </div>
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div>My older sister's engagement ring necessitated a custom ring like you're both talking about. She only wears her band right now - I don't think it looks odd, but just unique. That's just my take on it. :)</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_wedding-bands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:6e067b7d-aa40-41e4-8a07-f33b147c6257Post:8a957536-02c9-464a-918d-3f0d3a89984f">Re: wedding bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding bands : My engagement ring is three oval cut diamonds, and I would also need a custom band with a v to get it to fit flush.  I don't think it will look odd with both on, but I will probably wear only my wedding band sometimes (like I explained in my earlier post in this thread), and I agree with you that it will look odd on its own.  I am thinking about trying to wear a plain band with it, and switch my e ring to my other hand if it looks like it's causing any damage.  You can also get your two rings soldered together.  They could probably put little spacers in or something to keep them the right distance apart and prevent them from rubbing. 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
  • edited December 2011
    Why not just buy both?  Have the diamond band for everyday wear with your e-ring, and the plain band for whenever you don't want to wear your bling.   That is what I'm doing.  The plain one is my travel band b/c I don't wear jewelry when I travel overseas.   

But, if you are only going to get one, you should get the one you really want.  After all is said and done, the only thing that is left from your wedding day, aside from memories, are the photos and the rings.  In my opinion those are the two most important "investments,"  wedding-wise. You said you "adore" the diamond band.  That says it all to me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards