Wedding Etiquette Forum

Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?

Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:5797c7ef-b5f9-4202-8f29-671ecb6870b1">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just really think it is no one's business to regulate another's bodily functions.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I understand. It's a really fine line between being unreasonable and letting them go constantly, I think. It's easier for teachers when it's an almost county-wide policy, but we still need to be smart and use good judgment.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:1ce337e8-b8a2-4e02-8bbf-76ebd651b7c4">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And the 5th graders use it as well, but instead of 8 for a nine week period they get 12. But I don't work in that school anymore, so I'm not sure if there's been any incidents or parent problems.<strong> If a student has a small bladder or medical issues, the parents have always told the principal and the principal lets us know and we make exceptions.
    </strong>Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

But for me that is mega embarrassing. I remember having to tell my teacher about having the issue and she didn't believe me. So my personal matter became one for the whole class.
  • I don't think anyone should have to disclose medical issues just so they can go pee. That's bull.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:a3fc2c88-a9f1-4374-b66d-ca47f0e4c451">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : But for me that is mega embarrassing. I remember having to tell my teacher about having the issue and she didn't believe me. So my personal matter became one for the whole class.
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

Well, as I said, the parent usually goes to the principal. So the student doesn't even have to know the parent has said anything to the school. I can't think of a time that a student has said anything, because it's always information coming from the principal or the school nurse.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:9d52a579-1524-4680-b632-53db61002dda">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think anyone should have to disclose medical issues just so they can go pee. That's bull.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Just presenting another side of the issue, and how it's handled for me and our county.
  • I don't like the 3 bathroom breaks a week rule, but I don't see the problem with some regulation. Teachers can't just get up and leave whenever they want during class. I work RETAIL and I can't just go when I want. The kid will survive 20 minutes until the bell rings. It's so dangerous to hold it in for too long, though. I get frequent bladder infections, but mine started by holding it in for hours, not 30 minutes. If you're getting bladder infections after just holding it in for short periods of time, there could be something else going on. In elementary school I think teachers and students need to come to their own compromise. It's all about timing and each class is different.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:ece67627-532b-44da-b4b2-ca1c5cd7adc4">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : I for one always have to use the restroom within an hour after eating.  Always.  I don't think specific bathroom times are going to work with everyone.  Also, students have to be trusted, <strong>so not trusting them to not use going to the bathroom as escaping is BS to me. </strong>When you gotta go, you gotta go.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

I teach HS and one of my classes happens during a lunch period.  I have caught no fewer than three of the 17 students everywhere except the bathroom when I sent them because they asked.  In fact, one asked to go today five minutes after he was tardy to class because he was supposedly in the bathroom.  I say no a lot.  I allow them to come in after the bell so long as they ask if they can run to the bathroom real quick. 

Our kids have five minutes between periods, just like me.  There's one faculty bathroom in the whole school and I manage to make it back just fine. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:e046314c-0e09-46b1-bd76-7cf1b189ec5b">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : I teach HS and one of my classes happens during a lunch period.  I have caught no fewer than three of the 17 students everywhere except the bathroom when I sent them because they asked.  In fact, one asked to go today five minutes after he was tardy to class because he was supposedly in the bathroom.  I say no a lot.  I allow them to come in after the bell so long as they ask if they can run to the bathroom real quick.  Our kids have five minutes between periods, just like me.  <strong>There's one faculty bathroom in the whole school and I manage to make it back just fine. </strong>
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

haha yes and it's in the office! omg I hate the really fast shuffle I have to do the office bathroom and the really fast shuffle back. Especially in heels! I just try to wait until lunch as best I can. Or really, the student bathrooms are fine, so while I'm monitoring I'll go.
  • edited January 2012
    I hated the teachers who gave us limited hall passes per semester, especially if I had that class right after lunch. With over 2500 kids in the school, trying to get a bathroom break during passing time was a joke. I think restricting bathroom passes is fuucking stupid.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:a9bfd8e8-ea14-46ac-9062-56a7fae0d20d">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : haha yes and it's in the office! omg I hate the really fast shuffle I have to do the office bathroom and the really fast shuffle back. Especially in heels! I just try to wait until lunch as best I can. Or really, <strong>the student bathrooms are fine</strong>, so while I'm monitoring I'll go.
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

I try not to use them.  We have a group of kids coming through right now who, as middle schoolers, vandalized the bathrooms very badly.  Writing on the wall with fecal matter and used tampons badly.  Disgusting.  Well, this is their second (maybe third) year at the HS where I am, and the boys' bathroom by my room has been shut down for at least two weeks of the 19 weeks of school that we've had so far. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:5cab0cc1-bf7c-42c0-9aa2-1ca78c8349f9">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : It is no longer just 20 minutes though, or it can be. My high school classes were an hour and a half.  But I understand we are talking about 5th grade, so I will stick with the 20 minute arguement. Kid has to go to the bathroom with about 15 minutes before the end of a class time.  Teacher tells him to wait until class is over.  Okay, kid waits.  Runs to the bathroom as soon as he is able, but since is classroom is not near the bathroom, he arrives to a line of 10-20 people (all other kids told to wait).  He can't get through the line in the 8 minutes that they have between classes.  So instead of being late to his next class, he decides to hold it again.  Asks 2nd teacher and he also tells the boy to wait until a break.  So now a "20 minute holding" turns into a 2 hour holding.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Which goes back to the judgment thing. If a kid comes in my class late because there was a line at the bathroom, I walk over to the boys bathroom monitor (or I'll know myself, since I'm for the girls), ask about the line, story confirmed or denied in about 30 seconds, back to normal programming.

I just think there has to be some sort of policy, or it would leave way too much room for interpration. Teachers (as well as other fields) just have to learn to use their best judgment case by case.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:de8267f5-9791-47f5-9d3d-3837183fef35">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : Which goes back to the judgment thing. If a kid comes in my class late because there was a line at the bathroom, I walk over to the boys bathroom monitor (or I'll know myself, since I'm for the girls), ask about the line, story confirmed or denied in about 30 seconds, back to normal programming. I just think there has to be some sort of policy, or it would leave way too much room for interpration. <strong>Teachers (as well as other fields) just have to learn to use their best judgment case by case.</strong>
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No, students should be able to learn to use THEIR judgement. 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:bffbeb0c-7b8a-4bf7-bcfb-1f4b8c5e3158">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : I try not to use them.  We have a group of kids coming through right now who, as middle schoolers, vandalized the bathrooms very badly.  Writing on the wall with fecal matter and used tampons badly.  Disgusting.  Well, this is their second (maybe third) year at the HS where I am, and the boys' bathroom by my room has been shut down for at least two weeks of the 19 weeks of school that we've had so far. 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

Ugh that's so frustrating. We thankfully haven't had problems like that. At least the couple years that I've been at this school.
  • I don't see the big deal about disclosing a medical issue.  You think the teachers are going to spread it around the school that your kid has an issue?  That is ridiculous.  I am privvy to a lot of private information, and I disclose it to the appropriate people on a need to know basis.  The kid doesn't even have to know that their teacher knows.  Kid asks to go to the bathroom, teacher knows there's an issue, says yes, and the kid goes.  No problem. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:fc5056e4-5ddf-459e-a0b1-12d1c841c3cc">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : No, students should be able to learn to use THEIR judgement. 
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world :) But that's just not entirely feasible for all students, especially in 6th grade. They aren't quite the best at that skill yet. By the end of the year, and they've matured a bit more, it's definitely better.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:155298b9-3df0-4f67-86d0-66ebe480eafc">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see the big deal about disclosing a medical issue.  You think the teachers are going to spread it around the school that your kid has an issue?  That is ridiculous.  I am privvy to a lot of private information, and I disclose it to the appropriate people on a need to know basis.  The kid doesn't even have to know that their teacher knows.  Kid asks to go to the bathroom, teacher knows there's an issue, says yes, and the kid goes.  No problem. 
    Posted by bmoruzzi@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

Sure but won't that cause ill will between the students when the others realize this kid is getting to go when they're not?

And shutting down bathrooms because of dumbass kids has to be one of the stupider things I've ever heard. They're bathrooms for chrissakes -- people sort of need them, no?
    Lizzie
  • I've never been a fan of limiting people/students that are making appropriate choices just because some other students cannot. 

Also, as a teacher, I presume if you were abouttopeeyourpants bad, you would step out of the room and take care of the problem. 
  • My son is in 5th grade, they raise their hand with their fingers crossed to let the teacher know they need a biology break.  She just nods at them and off they go (no pun intended).  They've done this for years, seems to work with minimal distraction.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Crfb, What do the teachers do in that school when they need to go to the bathroom?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:fa5c292a-2df3-445e-ba44-c1cd6bc8b330">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My son is in 5th grade, they raise their hand with their fingers crossed to let the teacher know they need a biology break.  She just nods at them and off they go (no pun intended).  They've done this for years, seems to work with minimal distraction.
    Posted by Meghannsix[/QUOTE]

THAT MAKES WAY TOO MUCH SENSE!
    Lizzie
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:2cd3cd57-84ee-42b0-b962-fb4bdbb83d03">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I realize that school systems don't have the best funds.  But when I was in HS, there was usually someone wandering the hallways.  We had 2 assistant principals and one principal, we also had a police office assigned to our school.  At least one of them was always in the hallways.  So if a kid was up to no good, they would do something about it. I can not really talk about my middle or elementary school experiences because they were private schools so usually someone was there.  I think we may have had a person whose main job was to make sure the hallways were clear.  But I think that even in public schools, something similar to my HS experience is not out of the question.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Hm, that's really interesting. I've never heard of something like that. The schools that I've been at (from subbing to interims to full time teaching) there's never been the money for that. I think that's a great idea if schools are able to afford it. That would help a lot of bathroom issues, like wanderers.
  • I agree it should be case-by-case. I teach HS, so it's a little different. If I have a student get to class with 3 min. to spare but they wait until after the bell rings to go to the restroom, I might let them go that time, but they know darn well that won't happen again. Same with coming back from lunch (they are allowed to use the restroom at lunch at my school). In both cases, it seems like a matter of "I'd rather talk to my friends during the passing period and then miss class to go to the bathroom." I know some teachers at my school give the kids a certain number of passes per semester, and if they use those up, they owe them some time after school to make up for the time in the restroom. Their reasoning is that it deters the kids that go just to get out of class, and those who really have to go should have to come in and see what they  missed for the five min. they were gone to use the restroom.

I personally don't have a lot of issues with kids abusing it. If I have one abuse it, I talk to him or her to end it, not punish the whole lot of them. They do let us teachers know if a kid has a medical issue that requires him or her to use the bathroom excessively, which is good, so I know to not talk to them about using it as an excuse to get out of class.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:6b3643f2-ca7d-4e28-9fec-83f5a0ae9af8">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : In what school?  My high school with the 4 1.5 hour classes a day? They went to the bathroom.  They also taught only 3 classes a day and had the 4th 1.5 hour period as a prep time.  If a teacher had to go to the bathroom during class (I can't think of a single time this happened in one of my classes, but it is not out of the question), they probably would have told their kids to read the book for a bit while they went to the teacher's lounge (there was one in every 'hall' and floor, so we had 5 teacher's lounges).  The kids probably talked rather than read, <strong>but it was most likely over in less than 5 minutes.</strong>
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

This is true, and it's also why I think kids can go to the bathroom and get back to class by the time we begin. And the staff bathroom is farther away than the student bathrooms are, and there are six stalls for each sex. I get that there are more kids, but there's also more stalls, and if they leave class, go to the bathroom, wash up, and come straight back, they always make it in time. If they play around before going to the bathroom, then decide they need to go, they won't have time.

Maybe our students are just fast pee-ers? Ha ha.
  • Sometimes kids just need a quick break too. I'd rather a kid excuse themselves and leave for 2 minutes than go off the wall because they were stir crazy.  
  • My teachers left us alone to go to the bathroom, too, but we get written up for leaving kids alone. It's illegal, here at least.  We have 90 minute blocks, too, so I just have to hold it, which really sucks when I have prep first period and then no break until my lunch. 

I don't see an issue with limiting bathroom usage. It's extremely distracting, especially to kids with learning issues, for someone to pipe up every ten minutes to ask to leave. Conversely, we can't allow kids out of the room on their own--they need a written pass that lists their name, time, date, class and destination.  Writing that thing out takes a minute or two, and reduces my contact time with the class, anyway.

Like others have said, I've found it much easier to allow kids to come in a minute late or leave for a minute before the bell rings to go to the bathroom than to limit passes, but I definitely don't feel bad saying no when it's warranted.
  • crfb, in hour and a half school. From what you said,, that is a schoolwide problem. They need more bathrooms available to the students to use in-between classes, for sure. Teachers in elementary schools aren't allowed to leave a class unintended, as far as I know. In my middle school, same thing and we didn't even have doors on our classrooms. In my high school the teachers were absolutely forbidden to leave a classroom unintended. Teachers were expected to hold it, but we were allowed passes at their discretion, so it wasn't like it was unfair or anything to the students. The teachers were the ones who got screwed, though. Students just got good at planning ahead and not leaving the same class at the same time everyday.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:66c39408-b993-40ba-a09b-be18ade0bcc3">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, but when I was in HS, even MS, I always had to go to my locker too.  In MS the bathroom was right across the hallway and our lockers were right out front of our classroom, but that isn't the case in most public MSs. In HS, my 10 minute passing period could require walking the equivalent of about 2 football fields.  Once you work in going up and down the stairs and waking back and forth from different halls.  I would have probably had time to go to the bathroom (I am an insanely fast walker), but people who walk at a normal pace, probably wouldn't have. Also, almost no matter where you were in our school it was quicker for a teacher to get to their bathroom than it was for a student to get to ours.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if they had to figure out lockers and pee during that time, I can see it being a serious issue. But the way our school is laid out, each grade has their own hall, and they don't have to get off that hall for anything, not even their lockers. Each grade is shaped like a U, with classrooms on each side of the U, lockers on the opposite side of the classes, and bathrooms at the bottom of the U.

Students also aren't allowed to go to their locker except during designated periods. But they only have four classes, and we allow them to go to their locker after the first two classes, and that's a 10 minute break, not just a five.

I think maybe I'm starting to see why our policy for the bathrooms works pretty well for us, but not as well for other schools. We just have everything super laid out so that it's very structured.
  • lindseyann410lindseyann410 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Just read through, and I just wanted to make a couple of points, especially to what cfrb has said.

Disclaimer:  I do no limit restroom breaks, but I do tell them to wait until an appropriate time (i.e. when I'm not giving directions/ direct instruction).  

1.  I work in a very small school.  There are no cameras, no hall monitors.  There is no money in the budget to get cameras and hall monitors.  

2. There have been plenty of times when I've had to go to the bathroom while teaching and I hold it.  ETA: It is illegal to leave a classroom unattended. If I left and a student got hurt or bullied, I would be in major trouble and could be sued.

3.  Cfrb, you said you don't care if a kid abuses going to the restroom, because it's on them that they miss whatever is covered. That is not true; the student's learning is reflected on the teacher.  Teachers are responsible for making sure that all students get all the information they need.  If they miss it, the teacher has to then re-teach it to that student, which takes up time that could be spent helping others.  

Also, if a student commits vandalism or skips class when a teacher lets them out for a "bathroom break", the teacher can also be held responsible for letting them go.

So no, it's not okay for students to wander the halls. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:4eb29999-5e86-445f-9ae4-873d80f4d002">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just read through, and I just wanted to make a couple of points, especially to what cfrb has said. Disclaimer:  I do no limit restroom breaks, but I do tell them to wait until an appropriate time (i.e. when I'm not giving directions/ direct instruction).   1.  I work in a very small school.  There are no cameras, no hall monitors.  There is no money in the budget to get cameras and hall monitors.   2. There have been plenty of times when I've had to go to the bathroom while teaching and I hold it.  ETA: It is illegal to leave a classroom unattended. If I left and a student got hurt or bullied, I would be in major trouble and could be sued. 3.  Cfrb, you said you don't care if a kid abuses going to the restroom, because it's on them that they miss whatever is covered. That is not true;<strong> the student's learning is reflected on the teacher.</strong>  Teachers are responsible for making sure that all students get all the information they need.  If they miss it, the teacher has to then re-teach it to that student, which takes up time that could be spent helping others.   Also, if a student commits vandalism or skips class when a teacher lets them out for a "bathroom break", the teacher can also be held responsible for letting them go. So no, it's not okay for students to wander the halls. 
    Posted by lindseyann410[/QUOTE]

ugh yes. and then if they don't get a chance to make up what was missed, they mess that part up on standardized testing and the teacher gets called to the mat for why that kid didn't do well.

#viciouscycle
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:4eb29999-5e86-445f-9ae4-873d80f4d002">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just read through, and I just wanted to make a couple of points, especially to what cfrb has said. Disclaimer:  I do no limit restroom breaks, but I do tell them to wait until an appropriate time (i.e. when I'm not giving directions/ direct instruction).   1.  I work in a very small school.  There are no cameras, no hall monitors.  There is no money in the budget to get cameras and hall monitors.   2. There have been plenty of times when I've had to go to the bathroom while teaching and I hold it.   3.  Cfrb, you said you don't care if a kid abuses going to the restroom, because it's on them that they miss whatever is covered. That is not true; the student's learning is reflected on the teacher.<strong>  Teachers are responsible for making sure that all students get all the information they need.  If they miss it, the teacher has to then re-teach it to that student, which takes up time that could be spent helping others.   Also, if a student commits vandalism or skips class when a teacher lets them out for a "bathroom break", the teacher can also be held responsible for letting them go.</strong> So no, it's not okay for students to wander the halls. 
    Posted by lindseyann410[/QUOTE]
    Oh, yes, to this as well. In a perfect world, it would only impact that one kid. In reality, it impacts the 27 other kids in the room whose attention has been broken or will be broken when the kid returns and asks for clarification or directions that were already given.

If you work somewhere with merit pay, it impacts you directly when said kid can't pass a test because they missed material from wandering around.  Believe it or not, I communicate a lot in a 5-10 minute section of class, so that can really affect a kid.

And agreed about the teacher being responsible--we are held directly responsible for students' whereabouts whenever they are "in our care" during class time, whether they are directly in class or not. That doesn't even address the issue of a fire drill or evacuation/lockdown occuring while a kid is wandering.  Fair or not, that's the reality of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards