Getting in Shape

healthy food suggestions

I have been trying to get back in shape for my may wedding. I try to make it to zumba 2-3 times a week and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I am trying to eat health but im having trouble finding things that are truely good and not eat chicken all the time. I have a wierd schedule and am a wierd eater.(lol) I can go all day just drinking coffee and want to eat in the evening. I really try to eat breakfast but i feel sick if i eat when i get up and i work fri and sat nights till 12 and want to eat when i get home. Any suggestions on "healthy" foods or websites that could help. Dont know if i should look for fat free, suger free, low carb, count calories. Ughhh thanks for your help

Re: healthy food suggestions

• edited January 2013
    Ditto PPs for the most part, but I will add this - never, ever go for fat-free anything. Ever.

If breakfast doesn't sit well with you, don't eat it. It sounds like you are intuitively doing intermittent fasting, which does have many benefits (though it's not strictly necessary for good health, it is far from detrimental). The last thing you want to do is eat when you're not hungry. As long as you're making healthy food choices, I think you'll be fine.
  • All the above advice is wonderful. I'll throw skinnytaste.com out there too as a good place to get ideas. 

I am also an avid no breakfast person. Coffee until lunch for me. It upsets my stomach to eat early in the morning and I personally function perfectly fine not eating until noon and that's even after a morning workout too. Other people can't and that's a personal preference. If you aren't hungry then don't force yourself to eat, especially if it makes you sick. As long as the timeframe in which you do is filled with healthy foods and you're still eating the right amount for yourself, you'll be fine. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • eating 'real' food with 'fresh' ingredients is definitely the way to go. 

as far as proteins -- other than chicken, you are more than welcome to go for steak, beef, turkey, all sorts of fish, etc.  just be sure that it's fairly lean meat. NO COLD CUTS. they're full of sodium.  Thinly slice other meat if you're craving a sandwich.

keep up the 'fresh' ingredients with lots of fruits & veggies.
    i love salads with tomatoes, garbanzo beans, onions, green peppers and a few croutons!  roasted garbanzo beans are also a great snack. 

I also tend to feel sick if i eat in the morning, so my breakfast is usually around 10am, lunch around 2-3pm, dinner at 6, and a snack around 9.  as far as breakfast, I usually pack a granola bar (kashi or cliff bars lately), or some plain oatmeal with cut up fruit in it, or a small bag of cheerios and blueberries (YUM!).
    my snack at night is usually something similar.  i made a banana/peanut butter/blueberry smoothie and then froze it....so that's been fun lately.  1/2 cup of that as a late night treat is tasty!

again -- just keep focusing on REAL, FRESH ingredients.  a lot of things advertised as 'fat free' 'sugar free' etc have other crap ingredients in them to make up for it.  start reading labels on the back to compare the different advertised products.  salad dressings are some of the worst culprits!  takes me 10 minutes to pick an italian dressing - finally i've given up and just done oil and balsamic on most of my salads =P
  • wow thanks for all the response lts f good ideas for me to try. I work at a restraunt and looked up calories in salad dressing, our lite red wine vingerette has 160 calories and the ranch has 80. I would have never thought. Anyway thanks for all the advice i will be looking this stuff up tonight after work. I also have a 4 year old with adhd and threw research have found to stay away processed stuff. I want to make a change for all of us in the way we eat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_healthy-food-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1567445d-5822-40a9-83d6-26d896e7076fPost:7659f6ee-9b3d-479a-be86-417e005f9d6b">Re: healthy food suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow thanks for all the response lts f good ideas for me to try. I work at a restraunt and looked up calories in salad dressing, our lite red wine vingerette has 160 calories and the ranch has 80. I would have never thought. Anyway thanks for all the advice i will be looking this stuff up tonight after work. I also have a 4 year old with adhd and threw research have found to stay away processed stuff. I want to make a change for all of us in the way we eat.
    Posted by jamie6969[/QUOTE]

<div>Salad dressing is super-easy to make at home, don't bother with the store-bought stuff. FWIW, I find that even a calorie-bomb of a salad drowning in dressing doesn't satisfy my as ordinarily that amount of calories should. I don't find olive oil satiating at all. I would rather have 500 cals' worth of veggies sauteed in a bit of butter than a 500-cal salad. Tossed salads never sate me. If your goal is to cut calories, look for foods that you find personally filling, not necessarily what magazines or other people or what have you suggest.</div>
  • I agree with everyone....and another good website is emilybites.com.  The only thing I would absolutely recommend is to eat something...ANYTHING...for breakfast.  It really jump starts your metabolism and wakes your body up.  It's absolutely the most important meal of the day as far as taking care of your body is concerned and giving it what it needs.  It could be something as little as a cup of cereal or even a small cup of greek yogurt...even whole wheat toast with peanut butter.
    Also...what's your workout routine like? 
    And myfitnesspal is a huge help for tracking calories, but also make sure to pay attention to the grams of fat, protein, carbs and sugars.  I found once I made sure I wasn't going over my recommended fat grams is when I saw weight come off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I eat a lot of salads.

My favourite treat right now is frozen edamame (from costco).

Cheese surprising although higher in calories helps me get my protein and fats in without added carbs.  

I also love some of the skinnytaste recipes and I cook out of a few WW cookbooks.

I do still eat processed food between wedding planning and work I just don't have the time to mealplan all the time.  I always try to watch my sodium intake for the day though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_healthy-food-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1567445d-5822-40a9-83d6-26d896e7076fPost:326529f4-f6fe-46ee-9c52-54a43b3dd772">Re: healthy food suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to sound like I work for Cooking Light or anything, but they have a lot of family-friendly/kid-tested meals and most of their stuff can be done in around 20 minutes.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>I will second Cooking Light- I have found most of their recipes to be wonderful. The recipes are not necessarily always Super Healthy, but generally balanced, and often lightened up versions of heavier foods. They do a great job finding a balance between healthy and tasty. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • These 2 websites are awesome! Lots of tasty, healthy recipes!
    They don't even "taste healthy" if you know what I mean. They just taste delicious.

www.skinnytaste.com

Good luck!
  • I've been working with a trainer and my "approved" healthy snacks are:

Yogurt Parfait

- Plain yogurt (i.e. Fage), sweetened with cinnamon and no-sugar added vanilla extract. (If you need it sweeter initially while you are weaning down off the sweet taste add xylitol, a sugar alcohol that doesn’t raise insulin and helps reduce the risk of tooth decay or, Stevia).   Add ½ cup of diced apple for crunch or frozen berries defrosted and with a little of their juice (no sugar added of course) for a great antioxidant punch!

Celery sticks stuffed with

- Peanut or almond butter

- Light whipped cream cheese or ricotta cheese whipped with your favorite herb mix and with chopped olives or walnuts stirred in

Tortilla Roll-ups-using low carb or whole wheat tortillas (have earlier in the day)

- Almond or peanut butter* whipped with light whipped cream cheese or Low Fat ricotta cheese.  Spread 1-2 tbsp on tortilla, Add ¼ cup chopped apple for some crunch.

- Cottage cheese or light whipped cream cheese, salsa, chopped red peppers and jicama.

Great portable snacks:

- 10 raw nuts and a fruit serving

- 1 oz cheese (especially string cheese) and a fruit serving.

Apple slices and nut butter

Baked apple

-      sprinkle with cinnamon and bake, fill with ricotta or cottage cheese and top with a tbsp of freshly ground flaxseed meal.

Smoothie

- 1 scoop whey protein powder, ½ cup berries, ½ cup plain yogurt

- cottage cheese, ½ cup ice and ½ cup water, cinnamon and vanilla extract.

- Try freezing this and have as a Popsicle

Faux Trail Mix

- ½ cup Kashi Go Lean cereal and 1 tbsp chopped nuts

1 cup veggie soup

Raw veggies and dip

-      use olive oil, Dijon and balsamic vinegarette mixed with your favorite spices

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards