New Jersey

Such a stupid question, but I have to ask...

When you get something engraved for someone with just one inital, do you use their first inital or last initial?
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Such a stupid question, but I have to ask...

• jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, I wonder why you are asking that.  I would like a J.

J/K  I think it depends on the person and what it is.  If it's a wine glass I would go with first name initial!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I actually already figured out my order for those!!  I'm doing first initial for them.  :-)

I was asking this time because of the locket cufflinks I plan on getting FI as part of his wedding gift. 
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THAT I don't know.  Is there an option to have both?  (I'm so helpful)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, just one or the other.  I feel like if I did get both FI would wind up wearing his initials backward anyway so it would be pointless, haha.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These give you the option of up to three letters each.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Ohh!!  Thank you!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • andreapnycandreapnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    peaches - i like last name for cufflinks.
  • edited December 2011
    This is a really tough call, and probably personal preference. I'm not sure what is "right" or if there is a "right" answer.

For wine glasses for a specific person - as mentioned, I'd do first initial. For wine glasses for a couple, I would do the man's last name.

I recently purchased cufflinks for SO from TIffany's, and they had the option of three letter monogram, so it was an easy choice. (but they were not a locket.)  I like the mention above of the three letter monogram for a locket cufflink - that way you don't have to decide.
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  I wound up going with the single initial cufflinks (I found a 15% off coupon for the site so they were cheaper than the other ones and they had all positive reviews).

I also wound up using his first initial instead of his last because I talked to FI and gave him a hypothetical situation about getting engraved cufflinks for his groomsmen and I asked which initial he would use and he said first.  I even tried to persuade him about the reasoning behind using the last initial and went so far as to give him a situation about a groom getting married and the sentimentality behind the bride and groom sharing a last name and he goes, "If that's an American thing, then go ahead, but I'd rather have my first initial than my last."  Alllllllllllriigghhtyyyyy then!  First initial it is!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you got your answer!  I guess it makes sense to go to the source.  Plus your wedding is still so far away he'll forget you asked him :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Haha!  My fiance is totally clueless regardless, so even if we had that same discussion the day before the wedding he would be completely caught off guard.  I could have balloons and decorations all over the apartment the afternoon of his birthday and tell him I was playing around with ideas for my sister's party in a month and he'd never even consider the fact that I was actually planning a surprise party for him that night.  He's so cute, but can be so oblivious sometimes, haha.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards