Wisconsin
Options

Vendor Reviews

Hi Ladies!  It's almost been a year since our wedding (time flies) and I never got the chance to share my vendor reviews.  Hopefully this will help some of you!  We got married in Lake Geneva.

Church - A+ 
Plymouth Church in Burlington, WI.  They have really cool stained glass windows so we got some great pictures.

Reception Venue B
The Abbey Resort in Fonana, WI.  The venue was beautiful with gorgeous views of the lake.  Our Event Planner was amazing too.  The hotel rooms were great and the spa was amazing.  Two things kind of made me mad.  One, our room rate for our block of rooms (we had over 40 rooms) ended up being MORE expensive than what regular hotel guests paid.  This was because we booked the rooms over a year from the wedding date, the economy crashed and the hotel had to offer cheaper rooms.  When I asked them to lower our room rates they refused.  I thought it was very rude, especially considering how many rooms we had.  Second the food tasting was AMAZING.  The food at the wedding was good, but not amazing.  I know wedding food is hard to do, because you keep it in a warming oven, so I wasn't too upset about that.

Invitations A+
Papier Girl in Naperville, IL.
We had them do custom invitations and everyone loved them.

Nails  B-
Salon 180 in Lake Geneva.  Some of the girls said their nails were chipping just one day after our nails were done.

Hair A -
Abracadabra in Delavan.  They were great, the only issue is they had some of the appointments wrong.  They didn't realize how many girls were getting their makeup done and thereofre didn't have enough staff which caused some timing issues.

Makeup A+
Avani Spa at the Abbey Resort.  My makeup was amazing and lasted all night.

Photography A++++++++
Ideal Impressions Photogrpahy in Lake Geneva.  Amazing.  Just amazing.  And to boot they uploaded all of the pictures to their website within two days of the wedding so we were able to enjoy them on our honeymoon!  I also love that you can download the pictures from the website free of charge.

Baker A +++++++++
Simmas in Wauwatoas.  Best. Cake. Ever.  We had so many guests asking for 2 and even 3 pieces!

Band A ++++++++++
Noah Riemer Band in Lake Geneva.  They were great!  They played during the cocktail hour.  They really got people revved up and played some awesome love songs.

Florist A+
Pesches in Lake Geneva.  The flowers were beautiful.  Just what I wanted.  And their prices were fantastic.

DJ F
Double Platinum DJ.  Worst DJ ever.  First the owner told us he'd be our DJ.  Then he sent us the contract and told us he couldn't do the wedding but he'd have us use his next best DJ.  Then the DAY before the wedding we get a call from this DJ saying Double Platinum over-booked and they would be the new DJ.  Never got a call from the owner explaining this.  I decided not to get upset.  Then the day of the wedding we found out the owner never sent our information to the new DJ.  So I had to write down the names of all of our wedding party members for announcements.  I also did "Out of State Shout Outs" to introduce everyone that came from out of state.  This was really important to me.  He didn't give them that either.  So on my wedding day in my gown I had to go to the business office, open my gmail and get the email I sent him.  Finally I told the owner we had our first dance coreographed and it was really important he started at the begining of the song.  He obviously never told the new DJ that either since the DJ started the song a few seconds into the song so we had to figure out where to pick up.  Stear clear of them.

I hope this helps some of you ladies!  Enjoy the planning!
My Furbaby Baxter Photobucket

Re: Vendor Reviews

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the good the bad and ugly. Unfortunately we already have our deposit down on Double Platinum. Who finally ended up being your night of DJ?

I don't mess around so be blunt with the owner about my worst fears...
    Sorry to hear about that though and helping those of us who may be using these places!
  • Options
    cc7003cc7003 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you SOOO much for your reviews. This is very helpful and I hope others will post their reviews post-wedding as well!
    image 125 made the cut! RSVP date--August 22
    image 108 are ready for photobooth fun! image 19 are camera-shy!
    image 0 Can't find the post office!
    Vacation
  • Options
    maggyruthmaggyruth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my friends is the owner of Abracadabra...I'm sure she'll be pleased to know they got a good review!
  • Options
    molisarmolisar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_vendor-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:9f620b24-3ab6-4fc7-9e54-277eaa8a3094Post:ffe3cec8-557d-46bc-9203-1852b24c389a">Re: Vendor Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my friends is the owner of Abracadabra...I'm sure she'll be pleased to know they got a good review!
    Posted by maggyruth[/QUOTE]

I happen to know Eileen too!  Small world :)
  • Options
    molisarmolisar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_vendor-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:9f620b24-3ab6-4fc7-9e54-277eaa8a3094Post:71d07f89-8932-4696-aec6-f694561eb5f6">Re: Vendor Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for the good the bad and ugly. Unfortunately we already have our deposit down on Double Platinum. Who finally ended up being your night of DJ? I don't mess around so be blunt with the owner about my worst fears... Sorry to hear about that though and helping those of us who may be using these places!
    Posted by vitacosmopolita[/QUOTE]

I hope I didn't scare you!!  My only recommendation is to bring all of your materials (i.e. wedding party accountments, etc.) that the DJ has to do.  So if for some reason he/she doesnt have it you're covered.  Maybe give it to a bridesmaid to hold.

The only other thing I'd say is to make sure you keep on him as to who will be doing your wedding (and try to get it in writing too!).  That way if he doesn't deliver you can at least get financial payback.  We didnt event know the name of the DJ company that he used.  All I know is it was a boyfriend/girlfriend team from Madison. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No worries. Its a good reminder. I'm being super prepared with all the vendors after learning about the nightmare stories from posts on the knot.

Also a belated congratulations to you!
  • Options
    smoochiesmocksmoochiesmock member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have Double Platinum booked for our wedding and the customer service has been great thus far.

Also, my sister used them in December of 2009 at her wedding reception and they did a really good job.  She  has recommended them several times.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The positive reviews are as helpful as the bad.  Don't back down, I get the feeling you might have been pressured to back off your DJ review.  I only say this because of the pressue I have recieved about my reivew before I post about my ceremony reception.  We all know the vendors read this board.  Don't be scared.

As for the other stuff, I feel that if you are happy with the photos that is a hugh success.  That lasts forever!  Sounds like it was a great time.
    Thans for the reviews.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards