Plus-Sized

plus size bridesmaid.

I choose to of my bridesmaids right off back. But recently asked other friend if she'd like to be in the wedding. She said yes. I showed her the dress were looking at and she loved it. What I didn't notice is the size it went up to. A size 26 and shes about a size 28. Were going through Davids bridal. Is there a way they can alter the dress like up a size?? Me and her are both freaking out and we don't know what to do. I looked through Davids bridal and almost all their bridesmaids dresses only go up to 26. Help please
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: plus size bridesmaid.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_plus-size-bridesmaid-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:6c01b33e-21a2-4208-92ad-a7b7348deee5Post:1e25abf3-b53a-4334-b00f-2a0d13aea70b">plus size bridesmaid.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I choose to of my bridesmaids right off back. But recently asked other friend if she'd like to be in the wedding. She said yes. I showed her the dress were looking at and she loved it. What I didn't notice is the size it went up to. A size 26 and shes about a size 28. Were going through Davids bridal. Is there a way they can alter the dress like up a size?? Me and her are both freaking out and we don't know what to do. I looked through Davids bridal and almost all their bridesmaids dresses only go up to 26. Help please
    Posted by jessi3617[/QUOTE]

You might be able to buy a second dress and use the fabric to add in side panels, but it's not going to be cheap.  Most of their dresses have some room to be let out, but not much.  Also, if she is a 28 street size, she probably isn't going to fit into a 26 dress.  My girls were about a 16 street size and both had to order a size 18 dress. 

have her go try on the 26 and see how it fits.  Depending on which dress you choose, the sizing may be more forgiving.
  • That's what we are hoping. She's been losing weight like crazy . She's lost 60lbs for far and we have a year to go so she is hoping to lose about another 40 or 50. The problem we've ran into is most of the stores around us only carry up to 26.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_plus-size-bridesmaid-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:6c01b33e-21a2-4208-92ad-a7b7348deee5Post:a30a4a78-8c25-4168-922f-afa7491d3c43">Re:plus size bridesmaid.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's what we are hoping. She's been losing weight like crazy . She's lost 60lbs for far and we have a year to go so she is hoping to lose about another 40 or 50. The problem we've ran into is most of the stores around us only carry up to 26.
    Posted by jessi3617[/QUOTE]

Well, I can say this, as a plus size gal...  don't pressure her to lose any weight for your wedding.  (I'm not saying you ARE, just be careful not to do this).  Also, DB styles change VERY often.    So, don't count on the dress you love now being there in a year. It's possible, but I wouldn't get your heart set on a particular style.
  • No I would never pressure she I'm also plus size 16/18 and I don't want her to feel she has to. One reason I'm looking for another store that has bigger sizes. And no I haven't got my heart set on it set because I do kno they change. We just like it a lot. But I want all my girls to feel comfortable so I'm trying my best to find another store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is there a possibility of finding a seamstress to make one similar? 
  • Right. They told us it needs to be ordered by October. But a lot of people say Davids comes in about 8 12 weeks so I think even if we order it in January we'd be ok. Good news. We found a size chart from Davids online she took her measurement and as of right now she's under all the measurement except her hips. But I have looked around and found Alfred Angelo has dresses in bigger sizes so if I need to I'm prepared to change dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Despite what DB tells you, the dresses always come in way faster than they say.  All the dresses that I've gotten there (all BM dresses) have come in under 4 weeks after ordering.  I was quoted 10-12 weeks.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • I was going to co-sign on the street size vs. bridal size. I wear a street size 18/20 and most of the BM dresses I tried on were either 22 or 24. My suggestion would be to either change the dress, or maybe allow your BM's to wear different dresses, but all in the same colour and length. Just a suggestion if the sizing doesn't work out. 
  •  We found a size chart from Davids online she took her measurement and as of right now she's under all the measurement except her hips. But I have looked around and found Alfred Angelo has dresses in bigger sizes so if I need to I'm prepared to change dresses.
    Depending on the cut of the dress, hips may be one place that can afford to be bigger - an A line, for example, is going to flare out there anyway.

Definitely second PPs on waiting until closer to the date and on supporting her weight loss without making it about the wedding.

If you do have to look at other dresses, consider letting each of your bridesmaids pick their own style.  Different shapes, sizes, and proportions are flattered by different style dresses.  If everyone picks their own, they have more ability to pick what they will feel confident in (and have more control over the budget to boot.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RaptorSLH said:
    Depending on the cut of the dress, hips may be one place that can afford to be bigger - an A line, for example, is going to flare out there anyway.

As a 16 on top and 22 on the bottom, there was only one A Line dress at DB that I didn't fit into when I was trying things on. So this is definitely something to consider.
  • Have you looked for any plus-sized boutiques? I have a bridesmaid in TX and she just called in her measurements and made her deposit over the phone. Most boutiques will probably do the same and ship it to you.
  • What dress is it? Some dresses come in extended sizes in the store. I work at David's and a lot of the dresses come in certain sizes and colors online and then you get to the store and lo and behold more sizes, extra length, and more colors open up. Also what color dresses are you doing? I have been in at least 12 weddings and have a lot of plus size friends who have had to alter dresses. Some are easier than others. The best thing to do honestly is go try the dress on. I have tried on multiple dresses there and there are several styles where I go down 1 to 2 sizes. I am pear shaped 18/20 on top 22/24 on the bottom. I have purchased dresses in an 18 that fit perfectly. It's all about what the dress looks like. Do you have the style number?
  • Stephanie its the F 14196 in watermelon. Which I just found out today its being discounted. So I guess we will just be getting a different dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards