Rhode Island

Kristin Greene vs. SERAi

Narrowing down hair stylists for the big day and wanted to put a few questions out there.
Planning this from NJ makes it a bit more difficult, and we are basing our decisions on reviews available and recommendations. We don't need a make-up artist, just hair stylist.

Kristin Greene has great reviews on Wedding Wire, but for our date her assistant is available, Eleni. Anyone have experience with this vendor? I know this vendor is also very busy opening up a new salon in Cranston, and  wondering if this will affect the quality of work.

SERAi has less reviews than Kristin Greene, but also very positive. Is there a stylist here to request? Anyone with personal experience?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi

• I used SERAi for both hair and make-up and was very pleased with both results.  Bri did my hair.  I'll admit I was a little concerned after my trial that what I envisioned for my hair didn't come through. (Not terrible, just not perfect.)  But while I wasn't 100% happy with my trial hair, I was 110% happy with my hair on my wedding day.
    I mainly chose SERAi because of their before/after albums on their facebook page.  I would completely recommend them to anyone. 
  • I am using Kristin Greene's services but she is also unavailable for my date, her assisant Ali will be doing my hair &makeup as well as the wedding parties. I had my trial in December and it was great. 

I feel your pain, planning from any distance is no fun. I have been pretty lucky most of our vendors have been quick to respond to emails & open to Skype calls.
  • I booked Serai over Kristin Greene because anytime I tried asking KG a question, she'd stop responding.  I'd get a follow up weeks later saying her email stopped working.  Ok, well, here are my questions, can you please answer them when you have a chance?  After playing that game for awhile, I got in touch with Serai.  They answered all of my questions promptly and fully.  I have my trial in a few weeks.  This was the one vendor I booked without a meeting first, which I'm a little nervous about, but they get great reviews and their before-and-after pictures are very convincing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:0f05743d-4870-4f01-86a0-411145ff49e9">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]I booked Serai over Kristin Greene because anytime I tried asking KG a question, she'd stop responding.  I'd get a follow up weeks later saying her email stopped working.  Ok, well, here are my questions, can you please answer them when you have a chance?  After playing that game for awhile, I got in touch with Serai.  They answered all of my questions promptly and fully.  I have my trial in a few weeks.  This was the one vendor I booked without a meeting first, which I'm a little nervous about, but they get great reviews and their before-and-after pictures are very convincing.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

Ven&Radio,
    Ok, so it's not just me!  I also have waited for replies from Kristin Greene. Finally got a reply then asked a few more questions, and still no answer days later. I feel that if I am having trouble reaching the vendor now in the planning process, it's not a good sign for communication down the road when it is crucial.  Like I said, I know she is opening a new salon and is very busy, maybe taking on too much.

SERAi did respond to my phone message quickly with an email as I requested. I just emailed them again with more questions and I am waiting for the next reply. Did you do a trial with SERAi? Where was the location for the trial if so?

Also no communication with Sara Faella and her Glam Squad. Tried calling and emailing and nothing. So they are off of my list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:a4d2df16-7be6-4c41-a4d3-1414d8722ab3">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am using Kristin Greene's services but she is also unavailable for my date, her assisant Ali will be doing my hair &makeup as well as the wedding parties. I had my trial in December and it was great.  I feel your pain, planning from any distance is no fun. I have been pretty lucky most of our vendors have been quick to respond to emails & open to Skype calls.
    Posted by Liz C16[/QUOTE]

LizC16, Looking at your avatar, it says you are from Los Angles. Is that where you are planning your wedding from? You have had quick responses from KG?  For your trial, who did your hair, Kristin or Ali, and at what location? Thanks for any info!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:0a845ccf-02fb-496b-9266-b92548b57304">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used SERAi for both hair and make-up and was very pleased with both results.  Bri did my hair.  I'll admit I was a little concerned after my trial that what I envisioned for my hair didn't come through. (Not terrible, just not perfect.)  But while I wasn't 100% happy with my trial hair, I was 110% happy with my hair on my wedding day. I mainly chose SERAi because of their before/after albums on their facebook page.  I would completely recommend them to anyone. 
    Posted by Molly&Andy[/QUOTE]

Molly&Andy,
    You said Bri did your hair for the trial. Was she the one to do your hair for the wedding as well? Was there a choice among stylists to pick from, or was it based on availability? Thanks for any info!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bri did both my trial and day of hair.  (I had Samara, the owner, for my make-up.)  I believe they probably set it up so that your person does both trial and day of.  I didn't get to pick, so I assume it is all based on availability.  I believe the trials all occur at their studio in East Greenwich, RI.  I think they try to do all trials during the week, since they are normally booked for weddings on the weekends. 
  • So beyond happy that someone started this post!! 

After winning the free hair/make-up contest last summer by Kristin (yea!!), I was super excited.  But now I don't know what to do - I've been trying to schedule my trial for 2 months and I'm getting very nervous.  There was a time where she didn't respond to my email for a month.  I know I'm not a paying client, but I feel very used and hurt.  I'm at a lost as to how to handle this  - any insight would be appreciated! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:967e92c8-1510-4875-98ec-f6bf217082e7">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi : Ven&Radio, Ok, so it's not just me!  I also have waited for replies from Kristin Greene. Finally got a reply then asked a few more questions, and still no answer days later. I feel that if I am having trouble reaching the vendor now in the planning process, it's not a good sign for communication down the road when it is crucial.  Like I said, I know she is opening a new salon and is very busy, maybe taking on too much. SERAi did respond to my phone message quickly with an email as I requested. I just emailed them again with more questions and I am waiting for the next reply. Did you do a trial with SERAi? Where was the location for the trial if so? Also no communication with Sara Faella and her Glam Squad. Tried calling and emailing and nothing. So they are off of my list.
    Posted by LooLooBell1[/QUOTE]

LooLoo, I'm having a trial later this month with Serai.  My wedding isn't until September.  I would have preferred to do a trial before booking, but my schedule has been crazy latey and it was going to take me nearly 2 months before I had time for a trial.  So I decided to secure the date first, then do the trial.  This is the only vendor I've taken this kind of leap of faith with.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:9b23472c-8c31-430f-b7f0-37971ba971b7">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi : LooLoo, I'm having a trial later this month with Serai.  My wedding isn't until September.  I would have preferred to do a trial before booking, but my schedule has been crazy latey and it was going to take me nearly 2 months before I had time for a trial.  So I decided to secure the date first, then do the trial.  This is the only vendor I've taken this kind of leap of faith with.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

The edit button isn't working for me.  I also wanted to add, the trial will be at Serai's studio in East Greenwich.  The day of the wedding they will be travelling to my location, but that's costing me an extra $35 (this may vary depending on distance, but I know this is the minimum charge).
  • I just got married and I used SERAi for both my hair and make-up and I loved them!  I admit that I did not try to book Kristin Greene at all, but after looking several other places, I booked SERAi.  They were always great at getting back to my emails, and any miscommunications were easily and quickly adjusted.   I had a trial with them where I looked great, but it was much more dramatic than I wanted.  At the trial I also decided I wanted to order hair extentions for my wedding day, which I did not have another trial for, but felt confident they would look great on my wedding day.  Samara did my make-up and Kyla did my hair, though both worked on my bridesmaids hair (no make-up for them).  They were able to tone down my make-up and it looked awesome, as well as cover up a scar I had on y shoulder (because I had a strapless dress).  My extentions were really great, and they kept fixing even the smallest details about our hair we wanted until we were 100% happy with it.  I would absolutely recommend them to anyone!
  • <div>Yes planning from LA...its been fun :P From Kristin herself it could take a couple days, but Ali was wicked fast to respond. I had Ali for my trial when I was back east for christmas, my trial was at a wedding invitation boutique in East Greenwich, called New England Invitations.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:53fc67c5-5a06-4af9-8c63-88af9ff6b40e">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi : LizC16, Looking at your avatar, it says you are from Los Angles. Is that where you are planning your wedding from? You have had quick responses from KG?  For your trial, who did your hair, Kristin or Ali, and at what location? Thanks for any info!
  • MIssMeghan80,
    How cool to win a free hair/makeup contest! Why has it taken 2 months to schedule your trial? Is it because it takes so long to get  a response from KG, or do they give you limited choices for trial dates that don't work for you? Looks like your wedding is in July as well. I keep thinking I should have started this search for a hair stylist sooner!

All I know is that whenever I call the phone number for KG, the options kind of steer you towards email communication or the contact form on her website, even though you can leave a message. In your case I would just get relentless at this point and keep emailing and leaving messages on a daily basis. Even though you are not a paying customer, they promised a service in the contest . Can you contact the contest organizers and tell them the problems you are having? Did you find out if they at  least still have your date open?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Glad so far to hear that several of you have posted positive results with SERAi. It makes me more confident in the quality of the services offered. There have only been the same 10 reviews showing up on weddingwire, weddingchannel, etc. and I just wanted to get some more positive and recent feedback on which to base my decision.
    Do any of you have your before/after pictures posted on the SERAi facebook page?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LooLooBell1 - The contest was actually organized by Kristin Greene (via facebook) and I was super excited to win.  I've been emailing/calling since January to schedule a trial and just discuss the wedding details with KG.  Sometimes she responds, other times it takes her a few weeks.  At this point I don't know what to do because it is getting closer to the wedding and if I need to find another make-up artist, I need to do that fast. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:e4d3a627-6f55-45c5-b7bf-a30c896850c4">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]Glad so far to hear that several of you have posted positive results with SERAi. It makes me more confident in the quality of the services offered. There have only been the same 10 reviews showing up on weddingwire, weddingchannel, etc. and I just wanted to get some more positive and recent feedback on which to base my decision. Do any of you have your before/after pictures posted on the SERAi facebook page?

<div>My before and after photos are on the facebook page and in the bridal trials 2 album. (towards the end)  Some actual photos from the wedding can be found <a href="http://oliviagird.com/blog/andy-and-molly-wedding/" rel="nofollow">here </a>. (I had them use my natural curl.  For the trial they blew out and used a curling iron.)</div>
  • Still waiting for a reply back from KG, and in the same amount of time have had 4 or 5 emails from SERAi Beauty. Have a trial scheduled with them for next week too!

MissMeghan80, you really are in a tough spot. If KG sponsored/organized the contest,  there is really no one else to complain to, unless you go to FaceBook maybe?
    Could it be they don't feel you need a trial because you already won their services? Do they have your wedding date reserved for you already? If so, then you have more time to get your trial done. Just call and email everyday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wound up using KG for my wedding after a complete flake out by another vendor. While I really loved the makeup I completely hated my hair. The biggest problem is I felt Kristen really didn't listen to me and it certainly showed in how my hair was treated. I don't think she fully understands hair as she is pretty new to it.
  • I'm using Serai.  I went solely based on pictures.  It was Serai, KG and Sara Faella. 

I already had my trial.  I looved my makeup and didn't hate my hair just didn't love it.  I want to do another hair trial.  I had Samara.  Either way I'm happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Still no response back from KG for me either.  Trying to figure out if I should continue to reach out or find another hair/make-up person. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i've been following this thread as a sort-of recent bride (sept 2012) i ended up using KG after my salon I was going to (at the time, I've since parted ways) double booked my wedding day!!! nightmare to say the least. anyways, KG is very nice, down to earth, her assistants were great and she came to my house - which is what I wanted in the first place- not to have to go to a salon on boat show weekend in NPT. only thing was, my hair trial was horrible. she really does not know what she is doing. I made her redo it at the trial - since it looked nothing like the picture. it came out better, but not great. day of, it looked fine, but not at all what i was thinking. i feel bad saying something negative about her, since she is so nice and helped me out when I was in a bind from the other salon, but I am still a paying customer. she does not respond to phone calls. you have to e-mail her and yes, sometimes several times. in my problems of cancelling the salon, I also called Serai. they were quick to respond but i ultimately went with KG. she did a great job however, with my makeup. I hate to say, she should have stuck with that :( i also know, salon balayage in jamestown does great work if you are looking for somewhere completely different.
    good luck all!!

• Well it's been over 3 weeks and still have not heard back from KG.  But I do know she has been doing makeup far longer than hair.
    Did have a hair trial with Bri at SERAi though. Liked the hair, but didn't love it. After talking to other people who went for hair trials for their weddings, none of them loved the first attempt. They all had to tweak what their original vision was for the big day. Bri was very sweet and spent a lot of time on the style. May decide to do another trial as JandA7406 suggested.
    Still undecided as to what type of headpiece to use too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_kristin-greene-vs-serai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:157080fc-d93b-4ceb-ac30-a0c31e8f63eaPost:e9ea29af-add1-4b4e-8ca3-c1c3b30a2059">Re: Kristin Greene vs. SERAi</a>:
    [QUOTE]Still no response back from KG for me either.  Trying to figure out if I should continue to reach out or find another hair/make-up person. 
    Posted by MissMeghan80[/QUOTE]

It's ridiculous that you still not have heard back from KG! Maybe you should try calling the new salon she is opening in Cranston to see if you can get a live person on the phone. Demand to speak to KG or one of the stylists and explain you have been waiting for weeks to schedule your trial. You didn't mention it, but did they pencil in your date so that you know they are available?
    If your wedding is on a Saturday, I wouldn't wait too long to get another hair stylist vendor if KG doesn't work out. Saturdays book up faster and you don't want to be left without any options.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So, as far as I know, KG had scheduled my wedding back in August but until I confirm with her, I won't know.  As a winner of the contest, I was getting free hair/make-up for myself and entire bridal party - it was a big package.  (I had actually heard of the contest from posts on this board). At this point, I don't know if I want to work with someone that treats their clients like this.  The contest really increased her exposure and promoted her business so I'm truly suprised she would do this.  I'm currently looking into other stylists since my wedding is now 3 months away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @missmeghan80 and others. I used KG for makeup in my wedding last august. I did do a hair trial with her but ended up going with another person for hair to cut costs. As far as getting in touch with her I found if I sent the email twice it usually got answered faster since her email eats them or something. So i would say email twice and facebook posts are best methods. She si really nice and does great makeup but i think with the hair you just have to be very specific with what you want. My mom keeps saying how good she looked in pictures. Just be persistent it will be worth it. Hair and makeup is pricey and free is awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I finally ended up having to put a post on KG facebook page (she had posted something about how she was up to date with all her emails/phone calls so I commented that I hadn't heard anything back in 6 weeks).  She got in contact with me and was sincerely sorry but by that point, the whole ordeal had caused so much anxiety - I couldn't work with a vendor that was so unreliable.  So, I walked away from free hair and make-up for my wedding party.  Yes, sounds crazy and it was not an easy decision. I was so excited to work with KG and it was sad how it all fell through.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It looks like my post about my trial with Serai got eaten.  Short version - the trial was great and I'm really glad I booked with them!
  • MissMeghan80,
    So sorry that KG didn't work out for you, especially since it would have been free. Have you decided who you now are going to use?
    I had a trial with SERAI and liked it, but didn't love it.I did book them for the wedding though. From talking with former brides i know, they all felt the same about their first trial, regardless of who did their hair and needed to tweak the style best for them. I am going to get a second trial to tweak what I want.
    Good luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards