Getting in Shape

this woman will drive me to drink... *vent*

Some BG: I’m 20 years old from Tulsa (all Okie here), I attend college as a freshman, and I have a two-year-old son. My BF and I have been together for almost 4 years and in that time only split up twice, which is awesome.

I’ve been trying to lose weight for a while now, and my mom’s severely limiting my progress. She insists on making me watching my son WITHOUT help. The only relief from my life is working out. I’ve had to drop one of my classes just to work out. If my mom ever knew, she’d lecture me for a solid week (just like when I was pregnant). She already complains about not having any help around the house, how she hurts, the weather, who we’re with, what we do, etc. I swear if I don’t turn gray before I hit my 30’s, she’s going to drive me to start drinking -_-

Sorry to rant that much, I’m just really fed up.

Re: this woman will drive me to drink... *vent*

• Wait.. I'm sorry.. Let me understand this. 
    You have been together for 4 years and you're pleased that you two have broken up ONLY TWICE?! How is breaking up twice awesome? 

And you are upset that you had a son and your mom won't help you take care of YOUR son? 
    Again, excuse my confusion, but how is it her responsibility to take care of YOUR responsibility? 

Please tell me you're a troll. 
  • First, ditto all of the above.

Then...You, um, dropped a class to work out?  That sounds sort of just like poor time management. 

I just....I can't.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • edited March 2013
    I read the "we broke up twice, which is awesome" part as sarcastic, as in OP laughing at herself about the situation. But then I got lost at the "She insists on making me watching my son WITHOUT help." I can't even make grammatical sense out of that one. And it was downhill from there.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_this-woman-will-drive-me-to-drink-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:d581aeb4-169f-4b70-bf9f-b20c96d3e896Post:5d9856e5-378e-4172-be14-ef1341619fc2">this woman will drive me to drink... *vent*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some BG: I’m 20 years old from Tulsa (all Okie here), I attend college as a freshman, and I have a two-year-old son. My BF and I have been together for almost 4 years and in that time only split up twice, which is awesome. I’ve been trying to lose weight for a while now, and my mom’s severely limiting my progress. <strong>She insists on making me watching my son WITHOUT help. </strong>The only relief from my life is working out. I’ve had to drop one of my classes just to work out. If my mom ever knew, she’d lecture me for a solid week (just like when I was pregnant). She already complains about not having any help around the house, how she hurts, the weather, who we’re with, what we do, etc. I swear if I don’t turn gray before I hit my 30’s, she’s going to drive me to start drinking -_- Sorry to rant that much, I’m just really fed up.
    Posted by XxHisxWomanxForeverxX[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, the horror!  Being a parent is a choice you made.  Why would you expect others to help you?

</div>
  • It sounds like you need to reassess your situation, act like an adult, and do what is best for your son. He isn't your mother's responsibility. Maybe your boyfriend can help watch your son while you work out, or maybe you can figure out some things that you and your son can do together that involves exercise. Stop blaming other people for your decisions. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll go into detail breifly here. When I said i'm from Tulsa, i called myself a OKIE because i'm from OKLAHOMA (hence the term OKIE). My BF and I have ONLY broken up twice due to private issues, which is more than i can say for a lot of young couples around my age who break up AT LEAST twice a week. My mom told me that she'd help with taking care of my son, yet it seems like she can't be bothered to do so [my BF's mom (would have been my MIL soon, but that's a story for another day) doesn't see her GS often, yet she helps out far more than my own mom does]. And although my BF has helped me before, but right now he has more important matters to deal with. And I dropped my Math class to work out, because i didn't have any other way to get to a gym and my health is more important than trying to crunch numbers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_this-woman-will-drive-me-to-drink-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:d581aeb4-169f-4b70-bf9f-b20c96d3e896Post:e1023e06-b45e-47cf-95e9-51c57e0d7675">Re: this woman will drive me to drink... *vent*</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll go into detail breifly here. When I said i'm from Tulsa, i called myself a OKIE because i'm from OKLAHOMA (hence the term OKIE). My BF and I have ONLY broken up twice due to private issues, which is more than i can say for a lot of young couples around my age who break up AT LEAST twice a week. My mom told me that she'd help with taking care of my son, yet it seems like she can't be bothered to do so [my BF's mom (would have been my MIL soon, but that's a story for another day) doesn't see her GS often, yet she helps out far more than my own mom does]. And although my BF has helped me before, but right now he has more important matters to deal with. And I dropped my Math class to work out, because i didn't have any other way to get to a gym and my health is more important than trying to crunch numbers.
    Posted by XxHisxWomanxForeverxX[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, see........ this doesn't really clarify anything vis-a-vis the original post. If your mother said that she would help out with caring for your son and is not, then you may want to have a talk with her. You may also want to have a talk with your BF and his matters that are more supposedly more important than a human being he has fathered and is now responsible for.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Oh man.. this hurts... A lot. 
    I'm a mathematician and a fitness instructor. I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. 
    When I don't have time to work out, I am stricter with my eating habits. 
    Fitness is important, but it's not that difficult to take a 30 minutes walk in the evenings and be better with FOOD. Then you wouldn't have had to drop class. 

Yeah.. all those couples breaking up twice a week.. AREN"T GOING TO LAST. The fact that you two have broken up twice already doesn't bode well for your future together. You are the one that chose to give us this information and I"m not sure why.. But I would seriously reconsider if a wedding with this man seems like the right choice right now... Between your son, school, and being healthy, it sounds like you have your hands full. 
    Marriage is overrated. YOu can live with someone, love them, share everything in life with them, but not be married. So why do you need a wedding right now? Why is it soooo important to you right now? 

• Wow - everything PPs have said is right on. Sounds like you are very young and have a lot on your plate right now. Take some time to reevaluate your priorities and your son's wellbeing before you jump into a marriage. You'll be much happier in the long run making the decision from a healthier place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards