Military Brides

Dress Blue & Greens

My fiancee, god bless him right now because I know he wants to strangle my mother, is wearing his blues for our wedding next year. His bestman, and only groomsman, is in a ROTC program which still uses the Greens even into the Masters program.

After talking with my mother and giving color scheme ideas she is going on about how the blues and greens will clash and how the Bestman should just wear a suit instead.

Do anyone have any opinion on if the blues and greens are going to clash that much? I really think it shows character but apparently it looks odd for him to still be wearing greens by 2014 in a military town and around a bunch of people who will be in blues or suits.

Re: Dress Blue & Greens

• It's all personal preference! My husband is a Marine. He had 2 Marine groomsmen, 2 Army groomsmen, and 1 groomsman in a black tux. It still looked great.
  • It will be fine as long as they match in formality to eachother and the event. I don't see any reason why he should have to go out and get a suit to match the others when he has a perfectly exceptable uniform to wear.
  • MH wore MC dress blues, my MOH wore AF Mess Dress, the groomsmen wore tuxes, the grooms woman wore a black dress and BMs wore navy blue. It looked awesome.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Are the greens a step down in formality? I know at MC Balls before they started issuing blues at boot camp, people wore service uniforms among all the blues. Made it easy to see who was cheap, lol. What's the GM's rank? Cadet or something else?
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Unless I am mistaken Cadet Sergent First Class, but truthfully I don't keep up with his rank that much so he may be higher now.
    The Blues replaced the greens and will be completely phased out of the actual Army by 2014. So technically they are the same formality since ROTC will not phase out of the greens comepletely until at least 2015 if not later.
     I am just going to ask if he is comfortable wearing his greens or if he would prefer the suit, or as sarcastically as I can muster if he would like to put in his OSC packet and save me this headache because I am not waiting another year for him to complete his masters and actually enlist just so they match.
  • The ASU and the Class A (greens) are the same formality.  It won't look weird.  Since it is his official uniform, it would be fine for him to use it.  I'd also like to point out that the ASU and the Army Dress Blues are different uniforms, although both are blue.  The dress blues are also called the mess uniform and are considered more formal than the ASU.  To break it down: ASU with neck tie is the same as a suit and tie.  The ASU with a bow tie is the same as a simple, black tux.  The mess blues would be equal to a black tux with tails.  The white mess would be equal to a white tux with tails, ultra formal.  
    I'd also be extremely put off with the packet comment to make your life easier.  Even if you are joking, it's really rude and inconsiderate.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ridedatbikeridedatbike member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I'm a little confused does he want to wear them
  • Usually the marine groom and groomsmen people use the white color for their wedding. It is strange to see the marine groom people to see in black groom suits.
  • kevinth said:

Usually the marine groom and groomsmen people use the white color for their wedding. It is strange to see the marine groom people to see in black groom suits.

This post, literally, makes no sense in vagueness and grammar.
  • Usually the marine groom and groomsmen people use the white color for their wedding. It is strange to see the marine groom people to see in black groom suits.
    This post, literally, makes no sense in vagueness and grammar.
    It reads like that weird spam we started getting on TN before the exodus. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • I don't even know what that says.  However, I THINK this person is trying to say that most grooms wear white pants to their weddings.  I may be mistaken because I was in the Army and not the Marines, but aren't the white pants only worn in the summer?  @WishIcouldbeinthe'stan, do I have that right?

• I don't even know what that says.  However, I THINK this person is trying to say that most grooms wear white pants to their weddings.  I may be mistaken because I was in the Army and not the Marines, but aren't the white pants only worn in the summer?  @WishIcouldbeinthe'stan, do I have that right?

They're also only worn by certain ranks I believe as well.
  • Yup, both of you are correct. Summer season only and E6 and above only. Some lower ranks wear them for official duties (ceremonial teams), but they are not auth'd for social wear until you're an E6. I lost a friend on FB because I I asked him why he wore the white trousers as a groomsman while an E5. He said the bride requested it. I said that he should have fought her on it or refused to wear the uniform at all. He called me a know it all b word and went on about me not having earned the right to call out a Marine. My last message before I was deleted was that it's in the MARADMIN and I learned how to read in first grade, and I was sorry he didn't learn until boot camp.

Lol. I used to be much more of a b word.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Yes, USMC white pants in the summer only.  DH was (now retired as) an E9.  My DH actually had to buy white pants for our summer wedding. He had never needed them because the only time he wore dress blues was to the USMC ball (in Nov).  He had worn them to a few funerals, but they all fell in the winter months as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards