Favors

why do we give favors according to wedding etiquette books?

Why are there wedding favors?   The bride and groom are considered to be lucky, as is anything they touch. Wedding favors are a way for the bride and groom to thank their guests for sharing in their happiness and to symbolically pass on their "good luck".

Today its really to thank them for coming.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: why do we give favors according to wedding etiquette books?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    A wellhosted reception and gracious hosts are the "thank you" for coming. Not many guests want or use wedding favors any longer.
  • Retread makes a good point.  

However, we already have favor bags and small ocean-themed candles.  They take up about 1/3 of the bags, and I was thinking of including custom matches that reference our sparkler send-off (and for folks to use for the sparklers.) 

I sort of feel like maybe we should add a small candy or a second small candle.  The bags are rather large and would seem sort of half full otherwise. 

What do you think?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_why-do-we-give-favors-according-to-wedding-etiquette-books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:452b3a9a-c41b-44ad-97b9-81b965acfc73Post:353f3c9d-97cb-4af7-a5aa-fb493c78008a">Re: why do we give favors according to wedding etiquette books?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Retread makes a good point.   However, we already have favor bags and small ocean-themed candles.  They take up about 1/3 of the bags, and I was thinking of including custom matches that reference our sparkler send-off (and for folks to use for the sparklers.)  I sort of feel like maybe we should add a small candy or a second small candle.  The bags are rather large and would seem sort of half full otherwise.  What do you think?
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

Don't stress about it. To repeat, favors are NOT required. It's nice that you're doing something, but you certainly don't need MORE.

TBH, I wouldn't take this favor anyways as I don't use candles in my home. If I did take it home, unfortunately I would just toss it or donate it.
  • We did a candy bar instead of favors so people who wanted them could take them and people who didn't culd leave them. I don't expect favors but some old fashioned guests do expect it so for that reason we went ahead with the candy bar. I'm with Retread. I'd rather have nicer food and drinks than a box of stale jordan almonds.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards