Wedding Etiquette Forum

Jeans to a baby shower?

I generally wore dresses to showers in the past but I hate dresses but I also lost all of mine in Sandy so the clothing I have is pretty limited these days. Im invited to a baby shower in a few weeks for an acquaintance. I am really not that close with her and was hoping to not have to go out and buy another dress for her shower. Everyone knows my home and clothes didnt make it. I have mostly jeans left. Is it wrong to wear jeans, pumps and nice top to her shower?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Jeans to a baby shower?

• It depends, of course. Where is the shower being held? What time of day? etc.
  • edited April 2013
    If it were me, if you have anything other than jeans at all (a pair of pants, khakis, etc), I would wear those, but I think considering your circumstances, everyone would understand if you had to go with jeans. Paired with a nice top and a pair of heels, I think it could look very put together--as long as they fit well, and aren't faded or ripped.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your belongings, etc. I know it's difficult to lose material posessions, but I'm glad to hear that you are safe and sound.

ETA: Clarity on my opinion.
  • Absolutely fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think if they are nice jeans, they are just as fine as wearing slacks to a shower. If they are jeans that you've been using as you do clean-up (I'm so sorry), I'd hesitate a little bit.
  • I wore jeans to the last baby shower I went to. In fact, everyone but the mom-to-be was in jeans. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • id wear whatever you typically wear to work each day (unless that's jeans or a uniform).
  • I don't see a problem with it, but I agree with scribe about wearing a dress for multiple occasions if you decide to buy one.
  • Never knew it was wrong to wear jeans to a shower.
  • I would definitely wear jeans to a shower.  As long as they are dark, and you pair with heels and a nice top, I think you're fine.  That sort of outfit is just as nice as a sundress in my opinion.
  • edited April 2013
    It's at 12:30 at a restaurant. I have never been to this place I dont know if it's fancy or not. I should probably find out. Ya I could wear my shower dress again to that shower although the girl whose shower it is will also be at mine so she will see its the same dress, which is fine, but If I could get away with jeans I'd much prefer that. Thanks ladies
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think it's ever "wrong" to wear jeans to a shower; it's more about fitting in with the level of formality of the event. Just as it's never wrong to wear jeans to a wedding, per se, but you may be underdressed if you do, KWIM?

In my circle, showers--bridal and baby--are skirt or dress-wearing occasions, especially if it's in a restaurant and not someone's home. Wearing jeans I'd be underdressed. I wouldn't be thrown out or anything, but I'd be the only one in jeans. However, I know in some circles, showers are always casual and you'd be overdressed in a dress. So it really depends on your group.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I think jeans and a nice top and pumps will be just fine for a lunch shower.

Jeans are a staple in my wardrobe and I pretty much wear then to everything (except weddings).  I wear them to work, for a night out on the town, showers, etc, etc.  But they are very nice jeans (dark color, no holes, no dirt marks, etc) and I always dress them up with flowy tops and blouses and heels/wedges.

• Depending on the dressiness of the venue, re-wearing your shower dress is no big deal.  You could also check out discount clothing stores such as good will, or donation stores of that nature.  Sometimes they have surprisingly good clothing for just 5 dollars. 

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Wow -  I am so sorry to hear about your Sandy losses. That is so stressful.
    Jeans and a nice top should be fine, as PP said, no one will really remember. It's sweet that you're going, and that's what matters.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_jeans-to-a-baby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae4fee96-c7f3-4c5a-943a-7461abd81a56Post:1bfbaa5b-1aa8-4b2c-8f12-6352c6daff2c">Re: Jeans to a baby shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's ever "wrong" to wear jeans to a shower; it's more about fitting in with the level of formality of the event. Just as it's never wrong to wear jeans to a wedding, per se, but you may be underdressed if you do, KWIM? In my circle, showers--bridal and baby--are skirt or dress-wearing occasions, especially if it's in a restaurant and not someone's home. Wearing jeans I'd be underdressed. I wouldn't be thrown out or anything, but I'd be the only one in jeans. However, I know in some circles, showers are always casual and you'd be overdressed in a dress. So it really depends on your group.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. Most showers (bridal or baby) in my circles are slightly dressy occasions.  Sundresses and flip flops will usually suffice, although some have been nicer than that.  The same 2 girls in this one circle of friends tend to show up in t-shirts and jeans even when showers are held in fancier places, and they tend to look out of place.  I don't know your circle, but if you dressed it up and looked well put together, you'll probably be fine. But definitely check out the venue and determine the formality based on that.
  • In Response to Re:Jeans to a baby shower?:[QUOTE]Wow nbsp; I am so sorry to hear about your Sandy losses. That is so stressful.Jeans and a nice top should be fine, as PP said, no one will really remember. It's sweet that you're going, and that's what matters. Posted by TheBaysideBride[/QUOTE]

Thank you. It sucked but we are fortunate to have eachother. Also I am a house flipper so i own a few homes so luckily we moved to another one of our homes but the house that got destroyed was our primary residence and it wasnt worth fixing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you aren't that close to her, why not  simply decline the invitation?  Rather than spending on a gift for her shower...go out and buy yourself something nice.  No need to go to a shower and give a gift to someone you aren't close to.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties, Owning :/

It's a shower, not a night out at the New York Met!  I'm sure dark jeans and a dressy top and jewelry would be just fine.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• This post is over a month old. 
  • I wouldn't think anything of dark jeans if you dress it up.  totally okay. 
  • This post is over a month old. 
    Yeah I realized that too late. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards