Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Polish Traditions please?

FI is Polish and I would like to incorporate his culture into the wedding. He said not to bother. I'm Guyanese and have a steel band drummer for the CH and black cake for the grooms cake ( FI request). MIL says vodka and dollar dance. I know there is more than that. Help?
P.S. Please don't tell me to google.

Re: Polish Traditions please?

• I'd skip the dollar dance if you can- it's where the guests pay money to dance with the bride (and groom). It's asking guests to give the couple money, which is rude.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The only Polish tradition I know of is the dollar dance and that is a tradition that should not be continued.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited April 2013
    My husband's family is Ukrianian. Here's a description of a Ukraininian/Polish wedding tradtion, from polskiinternet.com

The Bread and Salt Blessing is an old and most popular Polish tradition. At the wedding reception, the parents of the bride and groom greet the newly married couple with bread, which is lightly sprinkled with salt and a goblet of wine. 

Parents usually say:  

"
    According to our Old Polish tradition, we greet you with bread and salt, so that your home might always enjoy abundance."

With the bread, the parents are hoping that their children will never hunger of be in need. With the salt, they are reminding the couple that their life may be difficult at times, and they must learn to cope with life's struggles. Also It was believed that salt had the power to heal and cleanse, uncover thieves, protect houses against fire, dispel storms and hail, and drive away evil spirits. The wine symbolizes the desire that the couple will never go thirsty, and that their lives will be filled with health and happiness. After the bride and groom each taste a piece of bread they break the plate and glass for good luck. The parents then kiss them as a sign of welcome, unity, and love.

Here are some pictures of elaborately decorated breads
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7iAoR2xRtjwAmqVXNyoA?p=ukrainian+wedding+bread&fr=yfp-t-900&fr2=piv-web

If you want to DIY, a loaf of babka or rye in a basket, decorated with flowers will be fine. 

After the ppresentation, the basket of bread can be displayed on an embroidered tablecloth or scarf which you will use for future celebrations.

• The only wedding I have been to of a Polish couple was last year.  After the ceremony the bride, groom, and parents of both did a shot of Spiritus together.  They indicate that it was tradition.  I'm not positive.

Additionally, at the reception, they played a lot of fun Polish songs NOT for dollar dance purposes, but just to let people polka nad have a good time.  It went over very well.
  • Thanks guys! I'm going to do the bread and salt tradition.
  • A polka song at the reception would work.
  • I am polish and we are including the "Sto Lat" song, it's my fathers idea he will lead our guests in singing. It is a song of well wishes, good health, and happy future. My fiancé parents are from Hungary and also do a sort of dollar dance, they want us to do it, they have a Hungarian dress for me to wear and everything. I'm ok with it because they say it's such a tradition in Hungary, and we can use any extra money we can have as we are going to Hungary the week after for our European honeymoon.
    Bunny ??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards