Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Two wedding venues with a bit of a drive in between - thoughts?!

Hey Ladies,

I'll explain my predicament - just looking for some thoughts. I have two venues picked out; one for my ceremony and one for my reception. I would have preferred to have my ceremony and reception at the ceremony venue, however it is a smaller space and can't host a reception for the number of guests I have. The ceremony space is about a 20 minute drive into the country and about a 25-30 minute drive to the reception space.
Our ceremony will likely be around 2:00 or 2:30 pm and the reception won't begin until after 5:00 pm, so I was thinking of offering a few cocktails (signature drink, wine and beer) and small appetizers after the ceremony so guests can choose to have a couple of drinks before heading to the reception.
 If you were invited to something like this would you be annoyed with the driving time?, would you be likely to hang out for a cocktail or just go do other things until the reception?, would you be not concerned at all and just enjoy the different flow of the day?
I really like both venues and don't find the reception venue as fitting for what I picture for my ceremony, but I also don't want to annoy my guests or make them feel like they have to pick one location over the other.

Re: Two wedding venues with a bit of a drive in between - thoughts?!

• I dont find that to be a bad drive, I would have no problem doing it.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_two-wedding-venues-with-a-bit-of-a-drive-in-between-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:256f22d5-06dd-450f-a1b7-f12d182f9eb6Post:e3c3202f-f248-44eb-905a-929e83db0511">Two wedding venues with a bit of a drive in between - thoughts?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Ladies, I'll explain my predicament - just looking for some thoughts. I have two venues picked out; one for my ceremony and one for my reception. I would have preferred to have my ceremony and reception at the ceremony venue, however it is a smaller space and can't host a reception for the number of guests I have. The ceremony space is about a 20 minute drive into the country and about a 25-30 minute drive to the reception space. Our ceremony will likely be around 2:00 or 2:30 pm and the reception won't begin until after 5:00 pm, so I was thinking of offering a few cocktails (signature drink, wine and beer) and small appetizers after the ceremony so guests can choose to have a couple of drinks before heading to the reception.  If you were invited to something like this would you be annoyed with the driving time?, would you be likely to hang out for a cocktail or just go do other things until the reception?, would you be not concerned at all and just enjoy the different flow of the day? I really like both venues and don't find the reception venue as fitting for what I picture for my ceremony, but I also don't want to annoy my guests or make them feel like they have to pick one location over the other.
    Posted by Kaitlin Krez[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>So it's 20 minutes to the ceremony and then another 30 minutes to the reception making it a 50 minute drive back in the other direction to go home? It's not the most convenient thing ever but I'd probably still go.</div><div>
    </div><div>I would make your ceremony as late as possible. If the reception starts at 5, you want to plan for your guests to be on their way there around 430. You're kind of in the weird short gap territory.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't know that I would serve alcohol at the ceremony site when people are going to have to drive to the reception when they leave. Not that it seems like anyone would get hammered or anything, but a couple drinks on an empty stomach (I know you said you'd have light apps, but that doesn't guarantee everyone will eat) could be enough to get someone in trouble if they get pulled over for any reason. And this is coming from someone who is pro-alcohol. It just seems like too much of a risk.

</div>
  • I think the gap is perfectly fine. You'll still have plenty of people show up and do both the ceremony and reception...though for the apps and drinks, I'd offer them at the reception site, not the ceremony site...purely for the fact that as a PP said, not that anyone is going to get hammered or anything, but they won't necessarily eat whlie drinking too, so they could be in trouble if they drive after drinking a little... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_two-wedding-venues-with-a-bit-of-a-drive-in-between-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:256f22d5-06dd-450f-a1b7-f12d182f9eb6Post:e3c3202f-f248-44eb-905a-929e83db0511">Two wedding venues with a bit of a drive in between - thoughts?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Ladies, I'll explain my predicament - just looking for some thoughts. I have two venues picked out; one for my ceremony and one for my reception. I would have preferred to have my ceremony and reception at the ceremony venue, however it is a smaller space and can't host a reception for the number of guests I have.<strong> The ceremony space is about a 20 minute drive into the country</strong> and about a 25-30 minute drive to the reception space. Our ceremony will likely be around 2:00 or 2:30 pm and the reception won't begin until after 5:00 pm, so I was thinking of offering a few cocktails (signature drink, wine and beer) and small appetizers after the ceremony so guests can choose to have a couple of drinks before heading to the reception.  If you were invited to something like this would you be annoyed with the driving time?, would you be likely to hang out for a cocktail or just go do other things until the reception?, would you be not concerned at all and just enjoy the different flow of the day? I really like both venues and don't find the reception venue as fitting for what I picture for my ceremony, but I also don't want to annoy my guests or make them feel like they have to pick one location over the other.
    Posted by Kaitlin Krez[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>20 minute drive for who?  All your guests can't possibly live in the the same town, right?</div><div>
    </div><div>Regardless, the drive seems like no big deal.  I drive 45-60 minutes each way for work everyday.  To drive 30 minutes for a wedding/party (and close to an hour home) is nothing.

</div>
  • I would do the cocktail hour at the final destination, not the ceremony destination.
  • You either need to start your ceremony later or your reception earlier. It sound like you are going to have about a 60 to 90 minute gap between events, even with the drive time. That's rude.
  • MsYeckMsYeck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Do a 230 ceremony, receiving line at ceremony spot about 315, have cocktail hour at 4pm at reception site, reception at 5. no gap and problem solved.
  • I think a cocktail hour is a very good idea, but NOT at the ceremony site.  People imbibing on empty stomach, then getting in cars and driving doesn't sound like an amazing sequence of events.

And please PLEASE don't read TK articles for wedding advice.  They are the product of an industry designed to milk money out of you, not prevent you from treating your guests badly.  Gaps are annoying.  They just are.  The bigger the gap, the more annoying it gets.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to Re: Two wedding venues with a bit of a drive in between - thoughts?!:
    [QUOTE]I would do the cocktail hour at the final destination, not the ceremony destination.
    Posted by stampadhesive[/QUOTE]
    I agree. The 20 minute drive is not a big deal but if you're gonna have ppl getting started on drinks, it should be where they will be partying all night. Drinks at the ceremony site will interupt the flow of the day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards