Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Pre-invite Invites!

Hi everyone, I'm brand new so sorry if I'm asking a question that's been done to death!  
A wee introduction first, my girlfriend proposed to me during a trip to NYC for my birthday in January :) We have settled on Vegas as our wedding destination, despite gay marriage not being legal in vegas we have decided to do the paperwork at home (Scotland), then count the ceremony in Vegas as the point it becomes real to us. 
My question-what did everyone/is everyone doing about invites?  We are aiming for October 2014 and so would like to let everyone know so as they have a bit of a chance to save and don't innocently book a wee holiday for that time without realising!  Only thing is we obviously don't have an exact date yet.  The reason we are aiming for October is because we have a lot of friends who work in education and October has a school holiday week in it in the UK, so everyone will either be off work or will be able to take time off. 
I know in america there is a tradition to send out a 'save the date'.  Should we send out a 'save the sorta vague date'? Laughing
Also, invitation wording...how did people phrase their invites, I don't want anyone to feel expected to make the trip considering it's such a distance and we'll be throwing a big party when we get back.
Thanks for all your help with this and the million other questions I'll no doubt be asking soon enough Tongue Out

Re: Pre-invite Invites!

• Options
    Welcome! We spread the date of our wedding via word of mouth txt messages/emails with family and friends that we wanted to invite then we sent out save the dates 12 months before the wedding.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Options
    Welcome to the board! We are glad to help any way we can. I agree with previous post that you could just let people know through word of mouth that you are aiming for October, next fall, so they know it is about a year and a half away to save. Then as soon as you book your ceremony, send out a save the date with the specific date listed. If you don't know where to start, check out Vegasgroom's post it at the top of the board. There is lots of helpful information on ceremony locations, restaurants, hair and makeup, transportation, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    We sent the save the dates out for our vegas wedding a year almost to the date and everyone loved us for it. It gave everyone time to ask for vacation and save money in this awesome economy.  We're also having a 'commitment ceremony'  since it'll likely be 2016 before Nevada even votes on Gay marriage. Our official invites will go out about 3 months before the wedding but I already know most people have booked their trips. 

Our STD's say 'what happens..9/21/13' then on our invites we put 'it's happening Crystal and Carolynn are getting married. Come and join them in celebration' 

We didn't want people to feel obliged to show up and we certainly didn't want the traditional invites. All of the Vegas ones sounded corny to us and most of the other wording suggestions are too odd sounding with a hers and hers wedding.. we found.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Options
    EmiliaC01EmiliaC01 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2013
    To answer your question about invites, we worded our invites no different than we would have otherwise. You do not need to emphasize anywhere about them not feeling obligated to travel, etc. Through word of mouth or if you make a wedding website, you can mention that there will be a celebration at home afterwards. We have family and friends who won't be able to make it, and some family that lives out of country. I made a section on our wedding website that for those who cannot come and are celebrating from afar, that there will be webcasting of the ceremony and we will post more information when available. That way they know we are thinking of them and can still be a part of it, particularly the family who live so far away. Many chapels offer webcasting so perhaps that is an idea to consider. I specifically asked my chapel if it is viewable outside the U.S. and they said yes.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for so many quick replies everyone!  I have already spread the word a bit so I suppose we could just continue doing that until we get something booked :)
    VegasGroom is actually how I found this website, I had been trawling the internet for weeks trying to find out stuff about Vegas and then I found his website, how incredible is it?!  The links to here are what made me register because I noticed immediatly what a great resource this will be!
    EmiliaC01, that's a good point about the webcasting, if we book somewhere with that service I'll need to make sure I let everyone know about it. 
  • Options
    Yes, this board is amazing. Fellow Vegas knotties are helpful and always constructive in their opinions and suggestions. Feel free to ask anything. We are all here to learn and help one another through our experiences. For me, the webcasting was a requirement. Our ceremony is at The Quad, formally Imperial Palace, and I got the week long webcasting for around 60 dollars. They offer month long as well. To me it was a small price to pay to offer that option to our loved ones and make me feel a little better about the situation of everyone not attending. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Our package comes with a DVD of the ceremony. I couldn't see spending the money for webcasting of a 15 min event. But that's just me!!  We're going to make copies of the DVD for anyone who wanted to come but couldn't. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Options
    A DVD is a good option as well, worth considering for the at home party, thanks! And thanks for all the welcomes, I'll be sure to stick around :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards