Connecticut

Venue help!

Hi all,

I'm having a really hard time finding a venue! We're looking for someplace that we can do ceremony outside (someplace with grass and real grounds) and then reception inside. Want the style of the inside to be a bit more contempory, not your standard wedding hall or rustic barn. We're pretty open to location (basically anywhere within a 2-3 hour driving distance of NYC) and budget is pretty flexible (we're thinking 150-250 pp before fees and taxes). Venue doesn't have to have its own catering, we have a caterer we know we like, but does have to have great food (if they don't allow outside caterers)

Any ideas??

Re: Venue help!

• A few ideas come to mind:

Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven. You can get married on the beach, but the indoor area for the reception is super cool with the carousel. It may be a bit too rustic for what you are looking for though.

Saybrook Point Inn -  Old Saybrook CT   has beautiful outdoor space (although not huge) and a more contemporary inside.

Water's Edge Resort in Westbrook, CT - has large grounds, an area to get married by the water, and a contemporary indoor area for the reception

Madison Beach Hotel - Madison, CT This place was recently renovated from the ground up (I catered there when I was in college, it is AMAZING now). It would be pricey, but they only do one wedding a day, and you can get married on a semi-private beach. The food is also amazing. 

I also have heard Elizabeth Park in West Hartford is nice, and then you would rent a tent (I think). They may have a building on site to use for the reception.

oh, I almost forgot two of my favorite locations: New Haven Lawn Club (amazing!!!) and Lord Thompson Manor. What I love about Lord Thompson is that you get to stay at the mansion with your guests for the weekend, so the wedding is more of a two or three day event. The place is AMAZING.

Can you tell I researched venues tirelessly? Good luck!!
  • Aria in Prospect Ct!!!!!!!!

By your date it should be completely finished and the grounds should be amazing!!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i second the lighthouse
  • The New Haven Lawn Club! That's wheremy wedding is going to be. Its a beautiful 1800s georgain mansion that overlooks tennis courts. The architecture is simply amazing. You will stand out here!

• My first thought was St. Clements Castle.  I went to a GORGEOUS wedding there two years ago and loved it but it was out of my budget.
  • I'm getting married at Inn at Longshore in Westport. They have a beautiful lawn overlooking the sound. The inside is really classy looking but I don't think it's too formal. They don't allow outside catering but we've heard nothing but amazing things about the food.
  • I would also suggest the Candlewood Inn in Brookfield. It lies right on Candlewood Lake and has a pretty contemporary interior. I don't know much about the food personally but know people who have been there and said it's great.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_venue-help-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:5424f2db-7bd8-4877-b8d8-0d2d1d90d4e0Post:4910aa4c-6672-41c5-a00c-511b8d9dbb04">Re: Venue help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would also suggest the Candlewood Inn in Brookfield. It lies right on Candlewood Lake and has a pretty contemporary interior. I don't know much about the food personally but know people who have been there and said it's great.
    Posted by lac1252[/QUOTE]

<div>I second the Lawn Club - the ballroom is gorgeous! I'd also check into the Guilford Yacht club - pretty place and good food there too. </div>
  • Diito to Inn at Longshore!

Also....Cascades in Hamden!! I LOVED working with them & the venue itself is gorgeous! They do not allow outside catering....definitely a must see!!

http://www.cascade-banquets.com/ordereze/intro.html
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Mahan's Lakeview in Wolcott is where we got married.  It has a beautiful indoor or outdoor setup, food is great, and a lot of stuff is included in the price.  Also, they only do one wedding a day.  When we were looking a lot of places did two or three a day and I didn't like that.  I didn't want my wedding ceremony competing with a reception or visa versa.  Maybe sounds selfish but I wanted the day to be about my husband and I.  Not my husband and I, plus two or three weddings.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards