Wedding Invitations & Paper

Directions Insert - Which Directions??

Hi all!

I'm wondering what is proper when deciding how to phrase directions for my inserts.  My wedding is about 50 miles away or more for most of my guests, so we're definately giving a direction card.  The particular venue doesn't even have a real address as it is on an unnamed driveway, so that is the other purpose of the card.  

The problem I'm running into is I have friends and relatives coming from almost every direction from the venue....so some will have to drive south, others west, other north.  

Do you think I should create seperate cards with directions from that guest's area of the state to our venue, or just pick one major city and make all the directions be from there even if it does not apply to all of our guests?

For example, if they are from the northern part of the state, have a set of directions to print for the northerners.  A different set for the southerners, and a different set for those coming from the east?  It sounds like a lot of trouble, but I'd hate for people to get lost... 
Let's Drink Coffee, Darling
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Directions Insert - Which Directions??

• Hi! We just had the same issue. My fiance helped me come to a decision. We picked one major city and titled the directions DIRECTIONS FROM HAMILTON. This city applied to many of our guests, or we knew that most of them were familiar with how to get to Hamilton and had been there before. My FI thought that even if a guest was coming from a different direction, the directions would still be helpful because it would orient them and get them headed in the right direction. Hamilton is a big city close to our venue (45 mins away) and everyone could easily figure out how to get to Hamilton. That way, everyone got the same map and there were no mix-ups. 

I am thinking of sending out e-mails a week before the wedding and sending guests a link to a google map from their hometown to the venue as a nice touch in addition to the printed map with a "can't wait to celebrate with you" message.

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_directions-insert-which-directions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:79042098-315f-4fb6-8728-88317f9554e3Post:ea91a498-9c32-4823-816c-bcbbd9043e87">Directions Insert - Which Directions??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all! I'm wondering what is proper when deciding how to phrase directions for my inserts.  My wedding is about 50 miles away or more for most of my guests, so we're definately giving a direction card.  The particular venue doesn't even have a real address as it is on an unnamed driveway, so that is the other purpose of the card.   The problem I'm running into is I have friends and relatives coming from almost every direction from the venue....so some will have to drive south, others west, other north.   Do you think I should create seperate cards with directions from that guest's area of the state to our venue, or just pick one major city and make all the directions be from there even if it does not apply to all of our guests? For example, if they are from the northern part of the state, have a set of directions to print for the northerners.  A different set for the southerners, and a different set for those coming from the east?  It sounds like a lot of trouble, but I'd hate for people to get lost... 
    Posted by sometimessilencespeaks[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Have you asked your venue if they provide direction cards?   Most do, and they usually will have have directions coming from all points (ie north, south, east and west) or major highways.

</div>
  • Thanks so much for your thoughts ladies!  I agree, I think having one template is better so that we don't accidentally put the wrong directions to the wrong people or something similar....or assuming the directions that some people would choose to take.  

Thats a really nice idea to send the email out with directions the week before.  I may follow your lead on that one!

Joan, that would be nice if they already had them, however my venue is not a "typical" wedding venue, it is just a lodge, so I am quite sure that the owner does not have direction cards as he is elderly.
    Let's Drink Coffee, Darling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • schellzinatorschellzinator member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    I actually went on to the venue's website and they had directions from all major cities (Philly, NY and DC) which was VERY helpful.  So I used that on my site and altered it slightly for drafting directions to my ceremony....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards