Chit Chat
Options

DOMA Oral Arguments link

Proud to be an old married hag!! image

Re: DOMA Oral Arguments link

• Options
    Just as an interesting side note, the prop 8 appeal is completely doomed, legally speaking. The two guys bringing the motion don't have legal standing to represent the state of CA, and only the state of CA can appeal an overturned law. Their last attempt to appeal was met with a well written blistering reprimand for stepping out if their place.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    That was the first issue discussed at the arguments yesterday.  The Court could have refused to hear the case at all based on this.  The fact that they did not refuse to hear it leads me to wonder if they wanted to hear these cases in the same session in order to have defining law come down at once. However, I don't know how they would get around letting them argue without setting a bad precedent considering that their line in Bush v Gore that the case could never be used as precedent went over in the legal community like a lead balloon.
  • Options
    Yeah my husband still cusses over that one. He makes a career out of using precedent, so it was maddening.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_doma-oral-arguments-link?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b6a607b0-358e-481a-86ba-7eb7d3429a81Post:7f912f06-4e80-4334-bafb-0f0239cb7a46">Re:DOMA Oral Arguments link</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah my husband still cusses over that one. He makes a career out of using precedent, so it was maddening.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

It was also unheard of.  Law is based on precedent.  There was a movement in the 1800s to codify every law instead of relying on interpretation and precedent and the movement died out from frustration. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards