Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids gowns?

Hello everyone,

Looking for advice/experience! I have 11 bridesmaid and they have all agreed on a $300.0 dress budget. I have been looking at dresses and honestly, I do not like the typical dresses. Too boring for the most part. I found this online dealer and love lots of there dresses! Unfortunately, they do not have a boutique the girls can go into a try the gowns on. Has anyone had any experience with ordering online?

This is the gown/vendor I am considering in grape. The price is great too!!
Please share your thoughts! I'd really appreciate it!

www.dressfirst.com/Ball-Gown-Sweetheart-Floor-Length-Organza-Quinceanera-Dress-With-Ruffle-Beading-021002877-g2877

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: Bridesmaids gowns?

• You want 11 bridesmaids in those huge ball gowns?  I would definitely rethink this.
  • winelover123winelover123 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry, but if I were a BM I wouldn't be ok with that dress. It's a huge ballgown. And it looks like a prom dress. And it would take up far too much space in my already-too-small closet.

Have you looked at department stores for dresses? I can understand not liking the sterotypical BM dresses - I don't either, so I got mine from JCPenny's. Nordstrom's and Macy's have beautiful evening gowns that aren't the usual BM dresses.

examples:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-sequined-strapless-mesh-gown/3292154?origin=category

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/tadashi-shoji-portrait-collar-pleated-mesh-gown/3341197?origin=category&BaseUrl=Formal

ETA: I see that the website you have on your OP has a section for formal evening gowns. I think most of those are much more appropriate as well.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    No way in hell would I drop $200 on that dress. If I'm spending that much on a dress, I better be able to wear it again. I also doubt that dress is going to flatter all 11 women, and they can't even try it on to see.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • haha!! Yes.....all 11 love this!! (to me surprise) In purple! I have been very surprised at their likes and suggestions. Truly...Im the only one that seems, in the least, thoughtful of them wearing their gown again. They do not care if they wear whatever is picked again. Everybody wants to play dress up and present non-traditional! Thats my bm's for ya! Most of us are invovled with expressive arts/drama/ etc. and I am a drama director so I will blame it on our theatrical side!!! haha!

It will actually flatter all the ladies but their is one bm who is short...and she may get swallowed up in a ballgown.

So....back to my original question. Do I need to consider matching "skirts"

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • I would definitely reconsider ordering online!  One of my friends ordered all of her BM dresses online (I can't remember where), and each of the girls dresses were all different (different shades of the color, different size ribbons, and even slightly different fabric, etc.) enough that they actually looked horrible together.  She ended up going to the Gap and bought them dresses off the rack instead. 

• sorry didnt finish last post. I was adding another question to my original! Do I have to consider matching same "skirts?" I favor a ruffled skirt so do the ladies have to wear ruffles?

• Thanks Retread...No they are not ordering anything now. They actually want to order them BEFORE the holidays so that they are not in a financial crunch. They haved decided that they will book their hotel/travel after holiday. I am really just being considerate of them, as far as when they want to order.

I only posted now because I was wondering about online ordering experiences. We are thinking if we do it before holidays then thats plenty of time to return, if neeed be, alter, etc.

• OMG!!! Really!!! How did you figure that out???? Thanks!!!!!

• btw....I am not "sneering" at anyone.I would never!!!  I "expressed"  laughter because I find it just great and surprising that ALL the ladies do like the gown! Maybe it is more adult to post a "happy face" to show laughter? Not sure how threads do it. I am only a script writer.

• Oh boy romance novels!! How exciting! I wrote one "paper" in m college creative writing class. It was the hardest assignment that Ive ever had to write!!! Massive writers block. I never read romance novels so I just pulled from my experiencs with my 15 yr old 1st love and "adulted" it up!! Wouldnt you know, my professor picked my as the "perfect" writing example and shared it with the entire class. I was mortified!

I actually write theater scripts for Chritian churches. My fiance is  Worship Pastor. Before we were involved, he asked me to write a play for another church about 5 years ago. It was a great success and Ive been doing it ever since. i do skits also...special ones for Mothers Day, fathers day etc. I love it!

Yes, its elaborate for sure. Most of the ladies are between the ages of 40-46 years old. We laugh at our "desire" to be free from our Sunday church "best" and are looking forward to the elaborate expression!

• are you asking if the girls' skirts need to match each other or if they need to match your skirt?  either way the answer is no; I was just curious. 

Also, I think it's funny the girls were calling it a prom dress b/c its description says it's a quinceneara dress, which means it's literally meant for a 15 yo.  More power to them if your girls all actually like this style, but I'm sure you could find something similar in a traditional store with that large budget.
  • I think this is more adult-looking:

Also, I'm kind of liking this one:

The sequins and pick-ups really make that one you linked look super young, and obviously it is, since it's a quinceneara gown.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:b05d96b3-4129-4fb8-8a96-ad4c5badcc28Post:b61df33b-4d99-474c-be4d-5286badebda0">Re: Bridesmaids gowns?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eleven bridesmaids!  WHY?! <strong> I would really side eye this.  What are you trying to prove? </strong> I was a church organist for 27 years, and I never saw a wedding party like that.  It wouldn't have fit in the front of the church! Your wedding isn't until May 2014.  You shouldn't be looking at dresses yet.  There will be new styles next year. You shouldn't have chosen your eleven bridesmaids yet, either.  This sounds like trouble in the making.  Seven months out from your wedding is a good time to choose attendants.  Relationships do change, and we see so many tearful posts from brides who regret having chosen someone too early, and are now stuck with them as a bridesmaid. <strong>Good luck with this elaborate wedding</strong>.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

So judgmental, so little reason to be. For all you know, this girl has 11 sisters. Chill out
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Eleven bridesmaids!  WHY?!  I would really side eye this.  What are you trying to prove?  I was a church organist for 27 years, and I never saw a wedding party like that.  It wouldn't have fit in the front of the church! Your wedding isn't until May 2014.  You shouldn't be looking at dresses yet.  There will be new styles next year. You shouldn't have chosen your eleven bridesmaids yet, either.  This sounds like trouble in the making.  Seven months out from your wedding is a good time to choose attendants.  Relationships do change, and we see so many tearful posts from brides who regret having chosen someone too early, and are now stuck with them as a bridesmaid. Good luck with this elaborate wedding.
    Posted by CMGr

CMGr....I must admit your fierce judegement cut a bit! I can assure you that I do not function from pride. Its suffocating and self defeating. Is there something missing in your life that would make you jump to this conclusion about someone you do not know? Oh yes, you expressed lack of experience in your 27 years involved with a church as an organist. So unfortunate that ou have not witnessed a bride surrounded by lthe love of friends on her wedding day. If I may tell you,  I have no room for false pride. I do function from heart! Although only 1 of these 11 bridesmaids are a blood sister, 2 are my 16 year old nieces and 1 will be my 14 year old step daughter. I cant express how excited they feel to be a part of "Aunt Lauries wedding"...to give them such joy with such a small act of having them involved is a huge blessing to me. Of course involving my soon to be step daughter should speak for itself. The remaining 7 women may not be blood but they are my sisters in Christ. Every single one of them has walked with me thru extremely difficult times in my life. My rape, my exes alcoholism and infidelity, my divorce after 26 years of marriage, the loss of my home and vehicle, and the loss of a child. They have been there for me and I have been there for them. We laugh together, cry toether, worship together and even sit comfortably quiet together. If they walk thru the fire with me I couldn't imagine them not being there to walk thru the wonderfuls and the aisle with me!! I could not and would not do this without them. It just makes heart sense. I have no fear that I have made my choices too early.  They too function from their hearts and we have always been blessed with healthy relationships, choices consciously made because we value one another. I am privilaged to have them stand up beside me on this fairy tale come true day and they are honored to be a part of it. Although Im not sure where you got "elaborate" from....my relationship with my fiance warrants celebration and that will be honored at my "elaborate" wedding day. Surrounded by the elaborate love and support of our family and friends. I am sorry for those who have the burden and pain of  early choices but God has them and will see them thru. Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not harm you..." My favorite scripture! So I do not fear my choices and believe everything happens for a reason. Faith goes a long way. Unless you have assumed we are purchasing dresses now,(which is not happening) I do not see the harm in looking!!!   I was married at 17 years old and had no say in any of it. You betcha I am savoring every decision and enjoying all the time I have to plan. Its exciting and fun! Isn't want this time is meant to be???

• btw..thank you ladies who have defended and spoke against such judegement....Also for your advice, opinions and suggestions! I truly appreciate you. We are a community of women...and in this case brides and I truly do not see the need for cutting and division but unfortunately I see the need for defense...thank you.

• I'm gonna be honest the only place I wouldn't side eye or be creeped out by those dresses is if I was watching an episode of gypsy wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards