Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Not changing my last name- need suggestions for end of ceremony

We're writing our own ceremony, and I'm not changing my last name. I'm stumped on the annoucement of the couple at the end of the ceremony. I don't want to cut it out completely because I think it's a good way to signify the end of the ceremony, but I don't want to be announced as "Mr. & Mrs. HisLastName". Any suggestions? I'm totally blanking on this one.

Re: Not changing my last name- need suggestions for end of ceremony

• Introductions aren't necessary.  If you need your officiant to "introduce" you as a married couple, have him just use your first names.
  • do tehy even do that?  Depending upon what type of ceremony you have, the officiant may not even present you as Mr. and Mrs. X (or whatever you choose)

for the reception, if you want to be annonced, you could do something liek:

and now, presenting for the first time as husband and wife, jane smith and john doe!

if you dont plan on using your husband's name, then definteily dont use it in annoucements.  set the message early.

• "I present to you the newly married couple!" It was just on a wedding show I saw.
  • miashakemiashake member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I heard someone say. You don't have to change your name officially, but when you are together publicly (dinner reservations etc), it is a nice suggestion to use his last name. I also don't plan on changing my last name, but I don't mind being acknowledged as his wife.
  • Our pastor said, "I'm happy to introduce to you, for the first time as a married couple, first name and other first name." 
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_not-changing-my-last-name-need-suggestions-for-end-of-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:932c75f6-c91a-4230-9e52-054912d75faaPost:67d496fb-8e69-49e8-9f8a-c357df3c1558">Re: Not changing my last name- need suggestions for end of ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our pastor said, "I'm happy to introduce to you, for the first time as a married couple, first name and other first name." 
    Posted by kipnus[/QUOTE]

Our officiant used this phrasing as well.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_not-changing-my-last-name-need-suggestions-for-end-of-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:932c75f6-c91a-4230-9e52-054912d75faaPost:b1454ff1-82a5-4691-b49f-a49097a42cce">Re: Not changing my last name- need suggestions for end of ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not changing my last name- need suggestions for end of ceremony : <strong>Please don't let other people tell you that you have to change a decision that you made because they don't agree with it. Whatever you decide to do with your name - keep, change, use his in social situations - is your choice, not someone else's, and they're all acceptable choices. None is disrespectful of your marriage or husband. Do what is right for you. Being called his wife and calling someone your husband are also ways to acknowledge your marriage.
    </strong>Posted by Schatzi13[/QUOTE]

Schatzi, this sums up how I feel about it completely and I might refer back to this when I start getting grief from the more traditional people in our lives.

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards