Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Looking for fun, unique space in Minneapolis

We are looking for a fun, funky, non-traditional space in Minneapolis/St. Paul area and are having some trouble finding what we want. We're looking to have somewhere between 160-200 people in May/June 2014. Budget around $30,000 total. We are wanting to shy away from the traditional ballroom and go for something a little different. Prefer something within or close to minneapolis. Would like something that has a patio/outdoor space, but that doesn't depend on it. Ex - we liked mill city museum enough, but worry that if it rains and and we can't use the courtyard, it loses it's "luster" a bit.

Re: Looking for fun, unique space in Minneapolis

• not sure on price but a few years ago friends of ours did the ceremony at the loring pasta bar. reception at the varsity theatre. Pretty gorgeous
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While trying on a wedding dress, I asked my 3 year old niece what she thought. She responded "where are your glass slippers?"
  • I recommend checking out Solera in downtown Minneapolis. That's where we're getting married this May. They have a second floor event center and a third floor event center. I think the max for the 2nd floor is 250, that's the space we have. They have an outdoor terrace, however it is walled and that may not be what you're looking for. You can rent the rooftop for the ceremony.
  • It's not in Minneapolis, but have you checked out the Science Museum in St. Paul for a reception?  That was kind of my dream venue when I was planning, but it was a little too much for my budget.  The only downside is that there's nowhere to host a ceremony on site.  It does have a nice patio with walls of windows connected to where the main reception is, so if you walk outside you're not completely missing the party inside.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• edited March 2013
    Not sure if you are looking for both a ceremony and reception site. If you would still consider a chapel I would recommend the memorial chapel at lakewood cemetary. Most people have never heard of it and it is a lovely historic site. (Pic)

Otherwise if you are willing to consider St. Paul at all the Conservatory at Como is fantastic for both Ceremony and Reception. A couple friends of mine did the wedding in the Sunken Garden then went upstairs for the reception. We were also able to walk about on the balcony to cool off and look at the stars during the reception. Only question would be the numbers they could fit.

• Thanks for the ideas everyone! We're looking at all of the above, plus uppercut boxing gym and calhoun beach club (yep, we're all over the board with this...).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_looking-for-fun-unique-space-in-minneapolis?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:34c24b68-f70a-4d1f-b7f4-c4424858ee77Post:ddadbc9f-f18d-4a3e-ae79-85e0ab301516">Re: Looking for fun, unique space in Minneapolis</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the ideas everyone! We're looking at all of the above, plus uppercut boxing gym and calhoun beach club (yep, we're all over the board with this...).
    Posted by Hake0302[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I have to warn you- with Uppercut Gym, my Fiance and I went to check the space out and, on top of the person I had made the appointment with never showing up (or calling or emailing to appologise), the place <u>reeked</u> of garbage. Seriously- one of the of the worst smelling places I've ever been. Hopefully your experience will be better!

</div>
  • You should check out the MacNamera Event Center. The place is gorgeous when set up for a wedding. It was on the top of my list but we had to cut our budget down. Check it out!
  • Try Unique Dining Experiences, very accomodating and they will also relieve a lot of your stress by taking care of anything and everything. All you have to do is say, "I do". Talk to Jeff at (763)370-5744. Tell him Linda sent you.
  • Minnesota History Center has indoor and outdoor options.
  • Profile Event Center! Def non-traditional, and the staff is amazing! We had around 170 people in the Diamond Hall, and we had a fabulous time. Both rooms have a patio space, and are within your budget.
  • Hake0302 said:
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! We're looking at all of the above, plus uppercut boxing gym and calhoun beach club (yep, we're all over the board with this...).
    Glad to hear you are checking out Calhoun Beach Club. I was thinking it sounds perfect for what you are looking for, and am glad it's already on your list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards