Moms and Maids

Awesome present for Mom

So I need some suggestions. I want to get my Mom a spectacular gift. An ugly-crying gift. This is why it has to be awesome:
-My wedding is days before Mother's Day and I don't want her to feel unappreciated.
- My mom just got through battling breast cancer. She is healed and healthy, but I just want to lift her up and let her know how proud I am of her.
-She is also self-conscious about her short hair and the wedding, so I want to get her a nice gift that will distract her from that anxiety.
-My Mom is seriously amazing. She deserves way more than I can give her. But I'll at least try.

Some things to keep in mind:
-She really doesn't like breast cancer awareness stuff. She's just not ready for constant reminders of that ordeal. So anything with pink ribbons is a giant no.
-I want it to be something permanent, so no spa days or anything. I want to get her something she will cherish and remember forever.
-She loves cooking, gardening, style, and keeping a beautiful house. She is also the woman who has everything, so there is little that she "needs" or really even wants. That's why this is hard. 

I am planning to spend 100, which on a college student budget is quite the penny. 

Re: Awesome present for Mom

• my mom likes sentimental things, so I was planning on getting her the book called "why daughters need their mothers" and just writing something heartfelt to her inside.  Its not about how uch you can spend but more so on how meaningful it will be. 

Or you can find a nice picture frame and have a nice quote or something engraved on it?

Anniversary
  • You don't need to buy her anything.  If you gave her a handwritten letter telling her how much she means to you, how brave she was through her cancer battle, how amazing you think she is - as a mom, I can tell you no gift would beat that and it would a treasured possession.

You sound like an awesome daughter with an awesome mother.  Good luck in  your planning!
  • I'm struggling with what to get my mom as well.  When I buy her gifts, I typically only get her things that she needs/asks for/already collects, that I make, or are sentimental.  The best present I ever gave her was Mother's Day a few years ago.  I was stumbling through bins of old things, and one of them was filled with papers and stuff from when I was in pre-school.  Apparently on M's Day that year, we made imprints of our hands with mud.  They dried, we signed our names, and there was a cute poem on them.  They were laminated and I gave it to my mom then.  It ended up in this bin, which had been in my room for nearly 20 years.  Long story short, I framed it and gave it to my mom for Mother's Day.  She had forgotten about that, and she absolutely loved it.  It's been on a table in our dining room ever since.  Hands down (no pun intended), it was the best present I ever gave her.
  • If she likes garden stuff, can you get her something for her garden? Check out the worldstock on overstock.com. If you want to get her something for your wedding (you said something about distracting her from her short hair) maybe a beautiful necklace or something. Otherwise something sentimental would be a great way to go.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_awesome-present-for-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3d144161-c33b-4664-9070-b3e76584b97fPost:4e41269c-5799-4e01-ae42-df880b3ef32b">Re: Awesome present for Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about an album of through the years stuff? Ask the family for photos of her with other family members, her through girlhood, etc.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I really like this idea! Sorry OP I can't think of anything myself, but it sounds like your mom has an awesome daughter in you and she will be so proud of you on your wedding day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_awesome-present-for-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3d144161-c33b-4664-9070-b3e76584b97fPost:4e41269c-5799-4e01-ae42-df880b3ef32b">Re: Awesome present for Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about an album of through the years stuff? Ask the family for photos of her with other family members, her through girlhood, etc.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>I like this idea...</div><div>
    </div><div>A similar idea would be (if you have time) to make a photobook/scrapbook of pictures of the two of you together through the years.  You can insert memories along with the photos like "I remember this day so clearly.  I was terrified to go to school and you gave me a big hug and told me how much fun I would have with my new friends." </div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • How about a locket with a picture of the two of you inside?  It's something sentimental, permanent, and something she can keep close to her heart.

Best wishes to you and your brave mom!

• Thanks! These are great ideas! I definitely will take the time to write a letter. Simple and obvious, but didn't cross my mind. I also really love the locket idea I think. I wish I had time for a scrapbook. I want something that she will see and use regularly, but will remind her of me and how I love her. I'd love any more suggestions though.

• SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    It's a bit corny maybe, but my 2 sisters and I went in on a M's Day gift a few years back: a necklace pendant that was a gold heart with our three birthstones on it. She adores it. Maybe a necklace, bracelet, or ring, with your birthstone or some other symbol or memory involved?

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Letter is a MUST!  You're mom sounds amazing.  I think she would really appreciate it.

As for a physical gift - 

Maybe some sentimental jewelry that will remind her of you on the wedding day. It would be a nice thing to look down at on the wedding day as a reminder.   I got my mom a Pandora bracelet and the mother/daughter charm for Christmas. http://www.pandorasaintlouis.com/product.php?pid=2004&name=Piece-of-My-Heart-Mother-/-Daughter-Charm&source=googleps&gclid=CNi4-4vP4bYCFUFo4AodkiQAWA

Etsy also has some cool things that have great sentiment - http://www.etsy.com/listing/120851245/mothers-day-mom-gift-a-mother-is-she?ref=br_feed_7

Good luck and Congrats!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards