Students

Family not happy

So im 19 years old and live in the united states and my fiance lives in another country . We decided that we should get married in two months . My parents are so against this and they wish for me to wait for december .. My fiance doesnt want to wait till december , he wants to get married now . I am so confused becuase i dont want to loose my parents and dont want to lloose the one i love . We been together for almost two years now .

Re: Family not happy

• Why do you need to get married so soon?  Patience is a virtue . . . if there is no reason to hurry, your parents might be right.  If you FI loves you, he will understand and wait.  If he doesn't, that is a HUGE red flag. 

• So you're literally talking about just a matter of months between when you want to get married vs. when your parents want you to get married, and somehow you will lose your FI if you wait? 

Yes, that's a major red flag. Why doesn't he want to wait? I mean, this is a matter of months, it's not like the families who want you to wait for 2+ years or anything. This whole things seems odd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_family-not-happy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:6cfd6080-ca6d-469d-b092-b3a465e087a3Post:a5f1daaf-0c72-4a94-ae44-54018dbeb415">Family not happy</a>:
    [QUOTE]So im 19 years old and live in the united states and my fiance lives in another country . We decided that we should get married in two months . My parents are so against this and they wish for me to wait for december .. My fiance doesnt want to wait till december , he wants to get married now . I am so confused becuase i dont want to loose my parents and dont want to lloose the one i love . We been together for almost two years now .
    Posted by Rod601[/QUOTE]
    Why do you parents want you to wait?  What is the big rush for getting married in two months?  The fact that your FI would make you choose between him and your parents over a simple wedding date when you have already been together for two years is a big red flag.  Talk to both your parents and your FI and figure out what their reasons are for getting married later vs sooner.  You shouldn't have to lose anyone over a wedding date. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• If you are afraid you will lose your FI if you do not get married soon, that is a gigantic red flag that you should not be getting married.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Our parents wanted us to wait as well.  But its not their decision.  The only people who can decided if the time is right is you, your fiance and whoever you choose for pre-marriage classes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards