Flowers

As a bride, should I have a white bouquet?

I always envisioned myself having a pink bouquet. My mom, future MIL and the florist both said it should be white and pink would look tacky with my dress. My dress is very beaded and sparkly on top and then a plain, simple bottom and they think pink would take take away from the dress. I agreed to white when we booked the florist, but I keep going back to my decision and wishing it was pink. There's still plenty of time to change....but what do you girls think. Be honest!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: As a bride, should I have a white bouquet?

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    If you google "pink bride bouquets", you will see an amazing array of beautiful bouquets.  I personally do not think the very vibrant and hot pink colors would necessarily look best, but the paler shades of pink are gorgeous.

You could compromise and simply mix a few blush colored flowers into a predominantly white bouquet, or add pink embellishments to it.  Has your mom seen colored bride bouquets?  I'm not sure why your mom is concerned the bouquet would "take away" from the dress.  The bride does not typically carry the bouquet high; it would be more against the plainer, simpler backdrop of the waistline and lower part of your dress.

My daughter had predominantly white flowers, but interspersed it with delicate, but BLACK feathers.  The bouquet was wrapped in a black and white damask ribbon.  It looked lovely.

• It can be any color you want!
  • you can have any color you want......pink,white,or even a mixture of both...stick to your guns here.....get what you want and do let anyone dictate to you what you should or should not have.
  • I have never heard that the bride's bouquet "should be white." That's absurd.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_as-a-bride-should-i-have-a-white-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:5bf9ace5-5442-476a-a4ad-7343c19b917ePost:58b5bd48-d190-4864-a1bb-c7dc11aabc38">Re: As a bride, should I have a white bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never heard that the bride's bouquet "should be white." That's absurd.
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>If you look at older bridal photos, the majority of the bridal bouquets are white.  I think the logic was that the bouquet not "compete" with the wedding dress.  The type of flowers used in the bouquet also used to have somewhat of a "standard"; stephanotis is one that comes to my mind immediately.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think color infused into the brides bouquet is actually somewhat of a new trend.  I personally really like the colored bouquets.  In my mind, if you are going to drop some major coin into the floral budget, I would <em>want </em>them to make a statement!</div>
  • I was torn between white roses or pink or a mixture of them. I have finally decided to have a fuschia bouquet and I can't wait :) it will match my shoes.
  • I'm having a pink bouquet...because that is the color I love!!
    I'm having my MOH carry a white bouquet instead...because it will look good against her navy dress. 

I personally think it should be whatever the bride wants/likes... you want to love your bouquet...not settle! :-)
  • You can have any color you want.  That said, I prefer white bouquets.  Perhaps with just a bit of color interspersed.  The colored bouquets tend to draw my eye right to the flowers instead of where it should be....on the bride.  I also think white is classic.
  • I dislike entirely white bouquets, I think they blend in against a white dress  if there's not enough greenery. The only time I think a bouquet competes with the dress is when the dress is super simple and the bouquet has a bunch of different elements, bling, feathers, loud flowers etc. If you want pink (and are paying yourself) get pink, if mom is helping pay put together some pictures of brides with colored bouquets and sell her on the idea.   
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My bouquet will be a mixture of pale pink peonies and white roses...I agree with PPs that if the bouquet is all white then it'll blend in with the white dress.  My dress is lace with beading in the front but it's a simple style...no ruffles or anything so i think the pale pink bouquet will go well with it.  My BM's bouquet is all white roses with some pink wax flowers and it's because she'll be wearing a tiffany blue dress so the white flowers will stand out with the dress.  Hope this helps. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_as-a-bride-should-i-have-a-white-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:5bf9ace5-5442-476a-a4ad-7343c19b917ePost:a96e84b2-a18a-42ea-a069-4732e2f2ef8c">Re: As a bride, should I have a white bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bouquet will be a mixture of pale pink peonies and white roses...I agree with PPs that if the bouquet is all white then it'll blend in with the white dress.  My dress is lace with beading in the front but it's a simple style...no ruffles or anything so i think the pale pink bouquet will go well with it.  My BM's bouquet is all white roses with some pink wax flowers and it's because she'll be wearing a tiffany blue dress so the white flowers will stand out with the dress.  Hope this helps. 
    Posted by snoweyesimage[/QUOTE]

And your FMIL is okay with this?
  • I'm done with my FMIL's opinions so i didn't go shopping with her.  Honestly she doesnt like anything me or my FI picked out previously and instead of being annoyed by her trying to change our mind...i just do them on my own. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_as-a-bride-should-i-have-a-white-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:5bf9ace5-5442-476a-a4ad-7343c19b917ePost:607d3b2b-2ed2-43e5-b180-08fe8cd8c885">Re: As a bride, should I have a white bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: As a bride, should I have a white bouquet? : And your FMIL is okay with this?
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]
  • I think you should have the bouquet that you want.  Period.

Here are a bunch of pink bouquets I have found, for you to drool over, and perhaps be inspired by?

• hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    You should have what you want. I personally went with the old fashioned style with plastic handle. As far back as I can remember bouquets have been colorful and I am 51.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards