Students

I need some unbiased advice

Hey Knotties, I need some advice that isn't from my family, work, or future in-laws. 

I am in my third year of college, and have racked up about 20,000 in student loans. It is going to take me another 2 years (4 semesters, I would graduate summer 2014) and another 20,000 in loans to finish my degree. Honestly, I am out of money and motivation. I am singlehandly paying for my schooling which is fine, but I am not comfortable taking out that much in loans because the job I want isn't a doctor, teacher, or lawyer. I want to be an event planner and the median salary isn't that high, I knew that going into it. Well now I am starting to think about transferring to get my associates opposed to a bachelors, but I would have it in Hospitality and Business instead of just the business major I am not all that fond of. I work in a bridal salon and I spoke with the owner to get her opinion and she said it's experience, not a degree, that really matters for this field of work. I also have spoken to others in this industry who have said the same thing.

My problem is that I just got engaged last month and my parents keep saying I have to finish school before I get married, which was going to happen anyways but it would take me less time and about 15,000 less to finish my associates instead of getting the bachelors degree I don't really need. I am scared my parents are going to say I am taking the easy way out by only getting my associates and should just continue on, and I am scared they will blame my recent engagement on me not wanting to finish the bachelors degree when the two are not correlated because I will be done with school either way for our October 2014 wedding. I am pretty sure I know what direction I want to take but it would be nice to get others inputs on this.

Thank you Smile

Re: I need some unbiased advice

• I would get the associates if I were you. Although education is very important to me, this seems like the best option for your situation. Money doesn't grow on trees, so you need to do what is best for you financially. There is nothing good about starting your new life with your husband with 40,000 in debt. Also, you are still getting a degree and going after the career you wanted. Follow your dreams, you need to work the job for the rest of your working life. I would also see what your fiancé thinks about it, because his input is very important. Good luck!
  • I would also get the associates. As someone who is about to finish my master's with tons of debt, if you don't need it to get ahead in your career then don't do it. I needed a master's for my career but if you don't I don't see the point in racking up 20,000 more in debt.

I know your parents opinion is important but at the end of the day it's your decision, and they have to respect that. You're the one who has to pay off the debt. You have to do what's best for you and your FI and your new life about to start. I hope that was a little helpful! Good luck!
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013

I think if you lay out your reasons to your parents why you want to get an AA, they should have no reason to object.  I think the AA sounds very reasonably, especially if experience is what matters most.  Why go more into debt for something that you may not need?

Are your parents paying for the wedding or for your schooling?  That is really the only way I can see them having a say in when you get married.  You are an adult and you are engaged, you need to make the decisions that are best for you and your FI, not what you parents think is best.  That being said, parents are important and deserve some respect, it's a fine line to walk sometimes.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, GL and congrats on the recent engagement! 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• I'm in my third year of college as well, and I do understand where you're coming from. If you think the associates will be just as good as the bachelors, I would honestly just get an associates in business (like you said) and just go with that. And if you get your associates at a community college, it's always much cheaper. I think my associate's degree all together was around $8000 - $9000 in Virignia. It's definitely a lot better than the $40,000. You can gain the experience you need by working through the bridal salon you're currently working at. I have considered just keeping the associates I have and quitting my bachelors because of all the money I have taken out in loans, but, I'm almost finished and this is the degree I need for my future career(s) in the Communication field.

I wish you luck in your wedding planning and as well as your school! Class of 2014 :)
  • Thank you all. I am more then likely going to get my associates. My fiance is fine with that and supports me in either decision but I don't want to start our marriage with over 40,000 of debt, it isn't fair to either of us. The wedding date we set because I didn't think I was going to be finished with school until summer 2014, but the date is set and it works for both of us so we wouldn't change it at this point event though I will be done with school this December. My parents are paying for a third of our wedding, as we split it three ways, but they are okay with the date we have picked. They do not pay for my education however. I think I need to do what is best for me and my future husband so we can start a life together not just get married and be up to our elbows in debt for the next ten years. I just needed someone else's input before I made this rash decison. I have thought about it and researched it to make sure I wasn't going to regret this down the road and I am seeing that this will be more then satisfactory for what I want to do with my career. Thank you and good luck with all your weddings!! 
  • I would get your associate's. I tried the event industry and I agree, it is all about experience. Most people I met didn't have any sort of education in the area, they fell into it from other fields.

Good luck with everything!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_i-need-some-unbiased-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:87d3b5b1-46f4-4b83-9a46-561dbcb10b20Post:2fde7524-038e-4ee0-9d91-fc873d547106">Re: I need some unbiased advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would get your associate's. I tried the event industry and I agree, it is all about experience. Most people I met didn't have any sort of education in the area, they fell into it from other fields. Good luck with everything!
    Posted by QueenKoopa[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks! And tried? If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason you got out of it? 

</div>
  • It sounds like you have done your research, asked people in the field, and have realized that the assoicate degree is the best way to go.  It doesn't sound like your decision really has anything to do with your wedding, so if your parents try to argue that you are doing it just because of the wedding, I would point this out. 
    Good luck with everything!

• For your chosen career field, I would definitely take the associated degree especially if you know its going to take forever to pay back your loans and that the extra education won't matter that much. With event planning I think its more about word of mouth and having happy clients and lots of experience that makes you successful.

When it comes down to it, YOU are the one paying for your school, YOU are the one doing the work, YOU are the one who's gonna be paying back the loans. So YOU are the one who gets to decide. If your family has a problem with it or blames it on your engagement, oh well. You aren't in control of what your family thinks. You are in control over what you do. That's it. You can tell them until you are blue in the face about why you are really doing it, but if they have their mind made up about your decision, then anything you say will be a waste of breath. Just do what you think is best and let everyone else get over it in their own good time.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would go with the Associates if you don't need a master's.  You can always go back later and get it if you absolutely need it.  My fiance is in the debt boat.  I was blessed with parents who helped me.  His couldn't.  He currently has 30,00 almost and has another 2 years to go.  We are going to have a huge debt to start paying once we are done and that's part of the reason why my parents are leary about us being together.  Talk to your parents.  However, ultimately you are the one who has to be happy with your decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards