Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

No father/daughter or mother/son dance

Anyone have a good relationship with their parents and still choose not to do the tradition?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No father/daughter or mother/son dance

• MayDay513MayDay513 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    I asked my fiance's mom if she wanted to do a separate mother/son dance, or join us for a joint mother/son, father daughter dance. She opted out. She doesn't like dancing so she preferred not to.
  • Thanks. My fiance and I both have a great relationship with our parents, but have never been too crazy about parent dances.  They just always seems awkward to us. The only dance we were thinking of having was our "first dance." But we were afraid it would look weird not having the parent dances even though we are both being walked down the aisle by our respective parents. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't do any parent dances. It was just something we decided not to do. No one missed it at all.

• My fiance and I also opted out of the parent dance.  We're doing first dance and last dance, cake cutting music, and (possibly?) entree into reception music, but otherwise we're doing lounge/jazzy/alternative folk-rock for the meal, and full on dancing for after the 'first dance,' mainly sexy fun rock songs including old school R & B and old school Motown.  We just didn't want to do the parent dance thing because we have so little for people to get out there and bust a move, and as it is we only will have 1 hour of this kind of dancing, because our menu is elaborate and will therefore be time-consuming.  We also have stepmothers and so before you know it, it's just a lot of parent dancing. 
  • I wanted to dance at my reception but decided not to because we were having a small, informal reception with just refreshments with very few people. I didn't think anyone else would want to dance so I decided to skip it. Now I regret it a lot because my dad passed away a year later, and every time I go to weddings and see father and daughter dances it breaks my heart. He was not the type to dance, but I know he would have done it if I had wanted him to. I also think it would have been special for my mother in law to be able to dance with her son.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_no-fatherdaughter-or-motherson-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:cd09b51e-8779-49d5-a6ed-5e61e5fccacePost:be9f013e-5069-4e17-a80c-b46c883a128a">Re: No father/daughter or mother/son dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. My fiance and I both have a great relationship with our parents, but have never been too crazy about parent dances.  They just always seems awkward to us. The only dance we were thinking of having was our "first dance." But we were afraid it would look weird not having the parent dances even though we are both being walked down the aisle by our respective parents. 
    Posted by TerriHugg[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would be weird at all. A lot of couples do that. I have a friend who danced with her mom instead of her dad though and I thought that was sweet. There are lots of things you can do now and people don't think twice about it.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is not something I want to do, and am super close with my parents. I just thinkit will be awkward and my dad has a bad foot. I haven't decided what to do yet, though.
    n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_no-fatherdaughter-or-motherson-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:cd09b51e-8779-49d5-a6ed-5e61e5fccacePost:aa5e3bd4-d376-4a5a-8cfa-511c481bab0a">No father/daughter or mother/son dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone have a good relationship with their parents and still choose not to do the tradition?
    Posted by TerriHugg[/QUOTE]

• We both have good relationships with our parents, but we didn't do any parent dances. My parents are really awful at dancing! My mom helped me get ready, my dad walked me down the aisle, and that was enough for me.
  • We both adore our parents but we're also skipping the parent dances. His mom is uncomfortable being the center of attention, and my dad is older and not so spry (and about 5 inches shorter than me!). Plus we just want everyone out there dancing and having fun. We will be doing our first dance to start things off though. 
  • edited April 2013
    My niece chose not to do that and she has a great relationship with her dad.  They just don't care for any spotlight.  In fact they didn't do any special dances...bride & groom etc.  The only thing...we all sat there, and waited listening to this awesome jazz band ready to dance but out of courtesy were waiting for the special dances.  So, if you choose to skip them, make some sort of announcement so folks can dance.
  • Yup. Our relationships with our parents is just fine... and we're opting out of these dances.

I would just rather do our first dance as Husband/Wife and then open the dance floor for EVERYONE... rather than having a few VIPs on the dance floor and all my guests sitting/standing around awkwardly watching. ::shrug::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards