Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Registry for Bridal Shower?

Hi everyone!  So, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on doing a registry just for my bridal shower.  Basically, my fiance and I decided we are not doing a registry for our wedding -- largely because we live in a small one bedroom apartment and really, honestly, do not need or want any more "stuff."  (In all honestly, a registry would have been helpful a year ago when we moved in together! But it's too late for that now, haha :)

Of course, if guests bring us gifts we will graciously accept them, but we don't want to encourage it!  We assume that most of our guests who wish to give us something will just give cash.  

That being said, I'm not sure what to do about the bridal shower that my MOH is throwing -- it seems weird to give cash at a bridal shower, but without a wedding registry, I don't want my guests to be stressed out about what to buy, and I know that's why registries are great.  So question -- is it tacky to just register for a bridal shower??  I'm inclined to say yes, but I was curious as to what others thought.

Thanks!

Re: Registry for Bridal Shower?

• Options
    Yes, if you are having a shower, you need a registry b/c the purpose of a shower is to shower the bride or couple with actual gifts.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I figured.  Do people generally register for the same sort of things you'd register for a wedding?  Household goods, etc.?  Honestly we have everything we need, and I kind of feel weird asking for things just for the sake of asking.  I'm tempted to ask the MOH to just describe the shower as a pre-wedding celebration and that no one is expected to bring a gift....has anyone else dealt with something similar?
  • Options
    If you will be having a shower,  you should create a registry (or two or three) for the convenience of those guests that prefer to have suggestions. Consider putting items that relate to hobbies that the two of you enjoy together, travel items and upgrades for items that you already own, such as a new bath or bedroom ensemble. There's an excellent list on the Registering and Gifts board. Here's the link:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_ultimate-wedding-registry-checklist

I've never seen separate registries for the shower and the wedding. Make sure you consider all budgets when making your selections. 

Have fun at your shower.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_registry-for-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:099f1fab-4ea7-4a4c-a44d-029c4378ddadPost:79f50d03-4387-42e4-b73a-e137fc44545a">Registry for Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone!  So, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on doing a registry just for my bridal shower.  Basically, my fiance and I decided we are not doing a registry for our wedding -- largely because we live in a small one bedroom apartment and really, honestly, do not need or want any more "stuff."  (In all honestly, a registry would have been helpful a year ago when we moved in together! But it's too late for that now, haha :) Of course, if guests bring us gifts we will graciously accept them, but we don't want to encourage it!  We assume that most of our guests who wish to give us something will just give cash.   That being said, I'm not sure what to do about the bridal shower that my MOH is throwing -- it seems weird to give cash at a bridal shower, but without a wedding registry, I don't want my guests to be stressed out about what to buy, and I know that's why registries are great.  So question -- is it tacky to just register for a bridal shower??  I'm inclined to say yes, but I was curious as to what others thought. Thanks!
    Posted by lkeaney[/QUOTE]

People will use the registry for both the shower and the wedding. It;s o.k. That said, if you truly don't need anything, it's also perfectly fine to decline the shower.
  • Options
    erinlin25erinlin25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2013
    There are not separate registries for the bridal shower and wedding.  If you want a bridal shower then you need to have a registry since the point is to "shower you with gifts."  People will rarely give you cash at a shower.  As for the wedding, its best to keep the registry active-- otherwise prepare yourself for some random gifts because some people just do not like giving money at a wedding.  A smaller registry will most likely lead to some cash gifts, but many people would rather give a physical gift, so its best to have at least a small registry.  If you are against a registry, then you need to decline all showers.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards