Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Small chest looks flat in dress - help!

I'm wearing Sottero & Midgley's Adorae and I love it - until I turn sideways. I have a small chest, but this dress really flattens me out even more than usual! I have no curves from the side and have a completely flat straight line. I was wearing a push-up corsette type of bra and tried adding cups in that, but it just lifted me up, not out - if that makes sense.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my chest to go out, not up? I just don't want to look like a flat board standing at the altar when everyone is looking at me from the side.

Re: Small chest looks flat in dress - help!

• Options
    can you post a picture of you in the dress?

I am smaller chested (especially for my height, 5'9) and my dress has a straght neckline which I've heard and read can help those of us that are not well endowed in that area lol

Sweetheart nacklines didn't look as good on me because I didn't even fill them out.
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • Options
    Here's a picture of me in the dress. :-/

It does still need to be fitted, and they are going to take it in a little bit at the chest (for obvious reasons!), and I'm hoping that will help a little bit but I'm afraid it won't help it all and want a back-up plan for my next fitting.

• Options
    I would stay away from a push up bra and try a "regular" padded strapless bra.  Also you could try those silicon stick-on cups that people use as backless bras for backless dresses.  That should add horizontal fullness.
  • Options
    Victorias Secret, Wonderbra, even Target has bras that add two cup sizes, but do you really want all that padding in there? It will likely give you the look you are going for, but it may also look really weird on your frame, especially if you aren't naturally built that way. Chicken cutlets are similar to padded bras because they are not meant to give thickness to the front of the breast, but instead to the bottom to push up the natural breast. Though, I guess you could wear it upside down or readjust it so the thickness is on top. Target has some cheaper ones if you want to give it a shot.

FWIW, I think it looks great the way it is.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be trying all of them!

And thank you for your kind words msuprincess, it's nice to hear things like that from someone other than my biased mother.
  • Options
    I have to agree with msuprincess.  I think the dress looks great on you as is.  I know for brides you want to look your best on your wedding day but if you aren't normally sporting large breasts people may be doing a double take at your wedding wondering where all the extra cleavage is coming from.

I really think that once the dress is altered to fit your body you will be surprised how much better the boobs look.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I think you look great and I would not add anything.
  • Options
    I have the same problem in just about every dress I wear, haha. Altering it will definitely get the dress to show off your shape. But if you need a bit more oomph, check out 'double push up' bras. La Senza, VS and Primark make them, and they add a cup size. They help me fill out some of my favourite dresses that are just a bit big in the bust.
  • Options

I have the same problem when I picked up my dress, I am training for a mini so I have lost a cup size in the last 4 months.  They told me to use chicken cutlets or to get padding put in when I get the dress altered.  Good Luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I'm gonna give the "cutlets" a try, but the more I think about it the less it bugs me. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards