Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

going against traditional bridal parties

is it acceptable to have just bridesmaids and groomsmen with no one person designated as maid or honor or best man?  i'm having a hard time choosing and although i originally said i would have 2 maids of honor, i'm thinking of just considering them all as my "best ladies."  also, can a groomsmen be 11 years old?  i'm having trouble trying to include my brother who is too old to be a ring bearer...or is he? help!

Re: going against traditional bridal parties

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Yes. I didn't name either of my bridesmaids as MOH, and my husband only had one person stand with him, so she was just a groomswoman (but she liked to refer to herself as the best man). Yes, a groomsman can be 11. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't see any problems with any of the things you listed.
  • There are really very little rules when it comes to the composition of your bridal party.  You can mix genders, have uneven numbers, have two MOHs, no MOHs, etc.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Really you just have to have somebody sign your marriage certificate on your behalf. That role is often designated to your person of honour. 

We plan on having no wedding party and having our sisters sign our certificate. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_going-against-traditional-bridal-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:07cac5e3-0660-42e7-ad37-33fb92d7573ePost:f11aa363-e055-48e1-a59b-f8f4fda30872">Re: going against traditional bridal parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really you just have to have somebody sign your marriage certificate on your behalf. That role is often designated to your person of honour.  We plan on having no wedding party and having our sisters sign our certificate. 
    Posted by theshewolf[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned this.  Does anyone know if there is a minimum age requirement to sign the certificate?  I would imagine 18.  So if the MOH is under that age, then another person would step in.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• It actually depends upon the state in which you are married; many do not require anyone to "witness" anymore.  In Florida, where I was married, only the officiant had to sign the marriage license.  The certificate is the document that issued after the wedding takes place, when the license is turned in and the marriage recorded. 

In Colorado, for example, no officiant is required.  Every state is different, but there is a trend of doing away with "mandatory" witnesses. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • There are no set rules to this. You can do with the maids and the men whatever you want, whatever you feel works best for you.
  • You do what You want!  :)

• The people who stand at the altar with you are not necessarily the ones that have to sign as witnesses. Any adult present will do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards