Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father daughter dance headache

So, my dad and I aren't super close, but he is giving me away and I still want to do the father daughter dance. I may not like him a lot, but he's my dad and I love him. So in that vein the overly sappy, always be there for you, daddy's little girl songs songs don't really work for me...any suggestions for songs with meaning that aren't overly sappy out there?? I'm losing my mind searching through list after list. He loves classic rock and its one of our few common likes. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks fellow knotties!! 

Re: Father daughter dance headache

• I did a little cruising through my liTunes and some lists.  What about:

Learning To Fly - Tom Petty
    American Girl - Tom Petty
    Thank You - Led Zeppelin
    Across The Universe - I'd go with the Fiona Apple cover of this one

Alternately, find a song you both dig that Vitamin String Quartet does and dance to their instrumental.  Gets around lyrics being not quite wedding-ish but you'll both groove.  My fiance and I are dancing to their version of Resistance by Muse, as that's one of our songs and the original version is too rocking for a first dance.
  • My Wish-Rascal Flatts
    Wonderful World- Louie Armstrong
    Stand By Me- Ben King
    Let it Be- The Beatles
    Isn't She Lovely- Stevie Wonder

Anniversary
  • My dad and I were close at one time (I mean he was there everyday and helped raised me) but somewhere along the line I've lost the daddy's little girl feeling. He's giving me away and I do want to have a father/daughter dance, just not a super sappy one. I've decided to go with Loggins and Messina "House At Pooh Corner" because that was the song he used to always sing to me, so it is special for us.

There aren't any rules to picking this song so go with something that you'll be happy dancing to with him. Good luck.
  • A friend of mine danced with her Dad to "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns n' Roses, and it was beyond awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards