Getting in Shape

Cravings

I'm just wondering what other people do when they have cravings for an unhealthy food choice?

I'm trying to find ways to curb my cravings for things like chocolate, and garlic fingers. Because I have a craving for each of those items right now.
Help!
Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

Re: Cravings

• I agree with unchaten - my biggest strategy is to just not keep the food around. I have virtually no willpower when it comes to sweets,and it's only just recently that I've been able to keep chocolate in my apartment without going crazy and eating it all (and not going to lie, 90% of the reason I don't just eat it all is because DH knows it's there and if it's suddenly gone I'd be pretty embarrased).
  • This is something that I really struggle with.  I usually end up trying to avoid the craving until I end up caving and going way overboard.  I am no help whatsoever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat as heather. I'm not much of a sweets person, so my hidden stash of hershey kisses I keep in the freezer is enough for my occassional need for a sweet. However, I cannot resist when bad things are in front of my nose. Like at work, the last like two months have been a never ending parade of horrible foods and I just can't keep my hands to myself. I have no willpower and we just don't keep bad things in our house. I'd eat a whole loaf of bread slice by slice if it was in the house. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm like stage - I'd drive myself crazy if I try to not give in. Half the time I'm not even really sure what I'm craving, so I'll think on it for an hour until I figure it out (versus just eating what I think I might be craving and wasting calories). If I'm craving chocolate, I'll get a little handful of M&Ms. If I'm craving donuts, I'll get a glazed donut instead of a cream filled one. If I'm craving chips, I'll put some in a little bowl and eat on the couch because I'm far too lazy to get back up for more. The most effective thing for me is to keep a very small secret stash of salty and sweet in house for when the cravings hit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cravings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:7bc0848e-440c-4dc7-ade0-483d3a973ad2Post:15f4df2a-df8d-4a78-b541-7a953fcacf9e">Re: Cravings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with unchaten - my biggest strategy is to just not keep the food around. I have virtually no willpower when it comes to sweets,and it's only just recently that I've been able to keep chocolate in my apartment without going crazy and eating it all (and not going to lie, 90% of the reason I don't just eat it all is because DH knows it's there and if it's suddenly gone I'd be pretty embarrased).
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way.  I have politely asked FI to not keep ice cream in the house, because I totally lack self control with ice cream.  He is very supportive, although he doesn't get it because he is one of those people who has to be reminded to eat.  :)  So when we want a treat, we go out and get it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice! Very appreciated :)

Fi ended up bringing me home a Lindt chocolate bunny when he got off work early. So all will power went out the window. Not pmsing, but mourning the very recent loss of fi's grandfather, and the not so recent loss of my grandmother, which occured around this time. I'm definitely a comfort eater it seems.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cravings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:7bc0848e-440c-4dc7-ade0-483d3a973ad2Post:a4fce674-ee47-4403-a52c-ed237642d716">Re: Cravings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I let myself have just a little.  For chocolate, I always make sure it's a small, but rich, dark portion. The oddest thing, which I know is totally mental because sugar is addictive, is that if I have whatever I'm craving and then 'chase it' with a healthy non-sugary food, then the craving is totally gone.  If I don't 'chase' the craving, then the sugar pangs just keep coming until I've over-indulged. What are garlic fingers?
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

Garlic fingers are pizza dough covered in garlic butter, topped with cheese and sometimes bacon. They tend to be cut differently than normal pizza to make them look like fingers almost. But they are usually quite cheesy and delicious.

• that sounds amazing.  I bet you could make a healthy modified version for craving days.  I'm thinking whole wheat dough with a bit of olive oil +garlic+ cheese, instead of the butter mixture.
    Anniversary
  • I crave sugary things like cake.

My strategy is often to be strong enough to make a quick, smart decision and to focus on portion control. So if I'm at the store, I pick up a lot of healthy snacks and Iif I know I want something naughty, I buy a small, single serving package of whatever that is and I track it. I know that if I don't buy anything else, I'm going to have to try about 30 minutes to get more....and chances are I won't do that.

Sometimes I buy a piece of cake and those grocery store pieces are NOT a serving. I cut a portion out and immediately throw the rest in the trash. If I didn't do that, the whole thing would be long gone. Other things, I just need to be strong enough to keep driving past them. I.e. I wanted a Coolatta from Dunkin Donuts (sugary fruity drink) and I just kept driving onto the highway...

Chances are, I'm going to cave and eat the healthy stuff and overall, I end up preferring it. It seems like, with the exception of Cadbury eggs, every time I eat something indulgent, I am sick of it shortly after.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards