• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Not Engaged Yet

Too big, too small, just right?

Hi!!! I'm a new knottie, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place! Here is my question to yall! I am not yet engaged, but my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years. We have our own place, pay our own bills, etc. We have been talking about marriage for a while now, and he told me in the past that he wants me to pick out my ring. And of course, I did. I wanted a ring that the setting would take up alot of space on my finger. So, I am in LOVE with this ring (picture attached). Now, I have been reading a good bit on these boards, and I came across a topic where one girl asked if a 1.0 carat diamond is small. Alot of responses were that it is a big diamond, and some asked for her finger size. She answered a 5.5 and some people said that a 1.0 carat diamond might get in the way. Well, I have a 3.75 size finger. And with this setting that I have picked out, my boyfriend wanted to get a 1.5 carat cushion cut diamond. Someone said that the shape of the diamond plays an important factor also. So what do yall think? The picture isnt exactly to scale, so I guess you would have to use your imagination on that one! haha! But is a 1.5 cushion on that setting on a 3.75 finger size too big, too small, or just right? I will be taking the ring off the wash my hands, sleep, shower, eat, etc. Thankyou for your time!

Re: Too big, too small, just right?

• You can have whatever size ring you want, but I would suggest trying a few diffrent styles and size on first.

I wear a 3.5, so I can tell you from experience that rings look different on small fingers, and different shapes look 'better' depending on hand/finger shape. before you get your heart set on a ring- go try some different styles on, w/ or w/o your BF. 

As a reference (and b/c I am a shameless ring AWer) here's a pic of my ring on my small fingers:

The center stone is just over .5, each side stone is about .2, for a reference....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP. I have size 4.5 fingers and about the same size ring as PP. With my wedding band it is the perfect size for my finger. You should go to a store and look at rings on your finger. 
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles Denver, CO member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    Everyone has their preferences. The only way for you to know what you like is to try on some different rings and see what they look like on you.

• Thankyou both for your answers! I did go to the store, and I looked at a setting with the 1.5 cushion in it. I liked the way it felt then. But you know how you try on a new shoe and you walk around the shoe store with no problems? And then when you get home, you actually get to wearing it and they're really uncomfortable? Haha well, I like the way it looked, of course, I'm going to like the bling but I just wasnt sure how practical it would be wearing it every where I go. Ya know? I'm just wanting to make sure that is a practical size!
  • My ring has center stone of a carat my ring size is 5.  It was a bigger stone than I expected I don't mind either.  It doesn't get in the way or anything and doesn't feel really huge.
    Here is a pic:

Anniversary

• I wear a size 7 ring.  And my diamond is 1.0 carats exactly.  And for me, it's just right.  So, with fingers half my size, I think 1.5 would be enormous...but that's just me.
  • AprilH81AprilH81 Columbus, OH member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary 5 Answers
    edited April 2013
    Have you tried on rings yet?  I went ring shopping once my BF and I started seriously talking about getting married.  I had no idea of what kind of ring I wanted and I wanted to give him some direction and still give him complete control of what he picked out.

I was surprised and what I DIDN'T like.  There were rings that I loved in the case but that I hated on my hand (high profile and would snag, made my fingers look short/fat, etc.).  Rings look so different when they are actually on your finger, so go shopping and have fun!

My ring size is 7.5 (I think) and I have short(ish) fingers.  When I had on a 1 karet oval cut it was borderline too big for my hand, the .75 karet oval cut looked much better.

ETA: Forgot to mention stone size.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Try things on.  And FFS, you don't have to take your ring off to eat.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • In Response to Re: Too big, too small, just right?:
    Try things on.  And FFS, you don't have to take your ring off to eat.
    Posted by annmarie714
    Maybe she's a really messy eater?

This is definitely a matter of personal preference. My ring is size 5.25, and at first it had a 1-ct equivalent stone (round cut). I thought it was too big and had it reset with a 0.75ct stone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards