Military Brides

Advice from all you military wives for military ball!

Hey everyone!

I've almost been married to my husband for a year now and currently he's at BOLC army training in Ft. Lee (he's a 2LT). I've been to military balls before and always get complimented on my dress, but this time I want it to be really really special, not only because he's graduating from BOLC but the ball date is VERY close to our anniversary and I would really like to look stunning too as an officer's wife. I'm looking online and have been debating a couple of different dresses. I'm 22 and he's 23, he's been in the army for almost 5 years now. I DON'T want it to look like a prom dress, but I do want something different, pretty and elegant. Any advice on which picture you like the best? I could upload a pic of myself, but I'm 5'4, small frame, dainty, etc. I'm also going to be wearing this dress to a masquerade gala i'm going to. Thanks for your input!

but in a midnight blue or forest green color

again maybe in a color a little bit darker than this.

favorite one or best 2?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: Advice from all you military wives for military ball!

• The purple one in midnight blue. Sophisticated and elegant, does not say prom dress.
  • So you didn't dress elegantly before because you weren't an officer's wife? Lol. Those dresses are all really not right for a military event. Nor are they what come to mind when the word elegant is used. They look like an 18 year old's idea of what a ball dress should look like.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Honestly, I think all of those are over the top for a military ball. Yes, it is a formal event, but I feel that those are very "prom-y". If I had to choose 1 thought, it would be the 2nd in a darker color. 
  • I don't think either of them are appropriate for ball.  They certainly don't say "sophisticated officer's wife", what ever crap that means.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_advice-from-all-you-military-wives-for-military-ball?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8a7943c7-9b91-4d6e-a97d-be2d4a9e906ePost:29ac7a71-a6ea-42b1-9b4c-2fdcb7aaf98d">Re: Advice from all you military wives for military ball!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think either of them are appropriate for ball.  They certainly don't say "sophisticated officer's wife", what ever crap that means.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this. Way way way too prom looking. You can find a dress that is not prom looking, age appropriate, and very classy and sophisticated. It's possible. I've done it many times and so have many others. </div><div>
    </div><div>And also, spouses of enlisted can also dress sophisticated. It has to do with taste and class. </div><div>
    </div>
  • None of the above. 

Anything with a full skirt and tulle is prom-y. 
    5/100
    "So if you decide to date the guy from Applebees instead will your new SN be "mypearlshisapron?" Your new sig can be "putting the ho in nachos.""- DNBeach12
    PersonalMilestone
  • I find all of these to be promy and inappropriate but, I'm just the wife of an enlisted sailor. What do I know about being classy?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_advice-from-all-you-military-wives-for-military-ball?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8a7943c7-9b91-4d6e-a97d-be2d4a9e906ePost:93406d98-8459-4e3c-8230-e610fc2c7747">Re:Advice from all you military wives for military ball!</a>: lol your comment just cracked me up.
    [QUOTE]I find all of these to be promy and inappropriate but, I'm just the wife of an enlisted sailor. What do I know about being classy?
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]
  • Okay....I like the play on words ladies.  I don't think the dresses are what you want for the ball. They are very prom like something more sleek would be nice. As for the rest of you me being the person in the military not the wife I wear my uniform too many of these events and I've seen many of military wives act like they are better then lower rankings service member's wives. Yet she's not saying you all are less but and even with high rankings enlisted it is expected, please read expected not guarantee for the wife of an officer or high rankings enlisted to dress the part. At the end of the day no one is going to talk about the whore pvt smith brought but instead what a whore cpt Johnson or Sgt major Don wife looked.
  • I think dark colors look more sophisticated, and lighter colors look too prom-y. I think the best look is the third dress, the light blue. But it needs some sort of straps or sleeves. But honestly I wouldn't do either of them myself. I think they are too poufy and childish. I know its a ball, but it doesn't mean you have to do a poufy ball gown. I think an elegant and simple evening gown is best. The night is about honoring servicemembers and their sacrifice, not a fashion show. This is not the occasion for a bold print, loud colors, or showing lots of skin.

I'm an officer's wife too and I think its important not to go strapless. Its too young and prom-y looking. I think its best to cover the shoulders, at least a little bit. As an officer's wife people look to you to set an example of decorum. An old fashioned ideal, but it is what it is. I'm young and I have a nice figure and could totally get away with strapless at any other event, but I choose not to because it looks bad to the other wives. I am not there to draw attention to myself, I'm there to support my husband.

P.S. My husband is prior enlisted. I dressed the exact same at the other balls and formal events we attended, because regardless of my husband's rank I am a sophisticated woman. I've seen enlisted wives with just as much class, and some officer's wives I've seriously side-eyed. One thing you need to realize ASAP is that you are not your husband's rank. You are his support, and at a military ball you are little more than arm candy. Sorry sweetie. That's just how it is.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Have you checked out renttherunway.com? You can rent designer gowns at a fraction of the cost! I've been to two military balls with my fiance and I hate spending hundreds of dollars on a dress I'll never wear again. I do agree with the other women, your choices seem a just a little "prom-y." Regardless of what you wear, though, I'm sure you'll look stunning and your husband will be proud to have you on his arm. 
  • In Response to Re: Advice from all you military wives for military ball!:

[QUOTE One thing you need to realize ASAP is that you are not your husband's rank. You are his support, and at a military ball you are little more than arm candy. Sorry sweetie. That's just how it is.
    Posted by beautiflaw[/QUOTE]

Amen!
  • edited June 2013
  • Yeah these are totally not military ball appropriate. All the wives would definitely be talking if you showed up in one of these. Go for something slimming and understated. 

Being an officer's wife isn't that big of a deal. Acting like it is (especially when your husband is just a little butter bar) will endear you to no one. You aren't better than enlisted wives, especially since most of them have been swinging the military spouse thing way longer than you. 

Also, I just have to add if he's 23 and in BOLC, I'm guessing that he completed his degree and received his commissioning just a little while ago. That means he was a CADET for four years, not in the Army. Contracted cadet =/= in the Army. He may have been NG, I suppose. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards