Plus-Sized

Bachelorette party lingerie

My MOH and I were talking bachelorette party earlier today and it got me thinking and now I'm in a full blown panic.  Every bachelorette party I've attended I've given lingerie...and the thought of people getting that for me due to my size is absolutely terrifying...  Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to do?

Re: Bachelorette party lingerie

• What I've done so far is advised my BP and FMIL that under no circumstances do I want a Bachelorette Party/ Bridal Shower that involves lingerie.  Call the shower a  "wedding shower", and ask guests to help pamper the bride, but explicity say that she wants no lingerie.  I have the same fear and anxiety about other people buying me underwear.  And do not feel comfortable sharing my size with people.  Especially not other woman, including the family that will be attending, I don't need them seeing my "private collection". 

If my BP does decide to have a bachelorette party, and I get a say, it will just be dinner and massages.  But they all know I'm pretty conservative anyway, so they are the easy ones.  It's the shower people I've had panic moments over.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I don't want to call it a wedding shower because I'm having one of those...about 5 weeks prior to the bachelorette party where all the ladies coming to the BP are also invited.

I have no problem opening it in front of others...but I know myself well enough that if someone gets me a ridiculously small size it'll be a total blow to me and I'll end up depressed pretty much immediately.  My best friend knows she'll have to field questions about what to get me and she's stumped (she's also plus size) as to what to say...
  • Well, your MOH can definitely set the tone for the party and say that you're not comfortable receiving lingerie. Remember, these are people that should be very close to you, so it shouldn't be difficult or awkward for MOH to tell them your personal feelings.

My suggestion would be to make it a themed bachelorette party — depending on your style it could be a "relax and pamper" theme or cooking theme (recipe swap)... perhaps an inside joke, silly theme like zebra or leopard print everything. 

The last thing you should be worried about are the gifts.... your MOH can also say it's a NO GIFT bachelorette party (and tell them to save the gifts for the wedding shower!)... Tons of options! No worries! Just be honest with the lady/ladies planning your event and ask them to help steer it in a comfortable direction for you. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_bachelorette-party-lingerie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:d2e07906-9858-4954-a87b-96e6bfc86337Post:c379ca03-a844-48bd-8b14-579eccd454fc">Bachelorette party lingerie</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MOH and I were talking bachelorette party earlier today and it got me thinking and now I'm in a full blown panic.  Every bachelorette party I've attended I've given lingerie...and the thought of people getting that for me due to my size is absolutely terrifying...  Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to do?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking along these lines too. I actually would love lingerie at my bachlorette party but most of my girl friend are pretty slim and have probably never set foot in the stores I would like lingerie from ( Lane Bryant and such). I would either tell your MOH to do a non lingerie party and pass the word around  ("MLG said she has plenty of lingerie so lets get her other fun stuff") or what I was thinking was making it known that I would prefer gift cards (not in a way that sounds like your asking for money but "MLG would love to pick out her ouwn lingerie so if you would like to help dress her for the honey moon please do so in gift card form) They could get you  gift cards from Lane Bryant, A general mall gift card (my mall has multiple plus sized stoes) or even an amazon gift card to get them offline.

Just a thought :) Good luck! Hope its fun!

Visit The Knot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm the kind of girl who always makes "fat girl" jokes about myself because it's my defense mechanism... And other than my MOH, I'm in the same boat as the rest of my friends attending will be slim and, as you said, have never set foot into a store that would carry my size.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. :)
  • I feel the same way I told my hubby to be tht I would much rather a wedding shower. I hate the idea of people picking out clothes for the to have sex in just feels weird.
  • tell them if they are to order you lingerie order from torrid. torrid has their own size charts they start at size 14 and above and everythign is very tasteful should they get you something from there. also you can go online and check out what they have they are pretty good at making even the biggest of girls feel darn hott and skinnier.  if i were to get soemthign from there i would totally rock it though i would alwasy tell them to get gift reciepts so should it be small or the bust area not fit right you can exchange it.

though should you not want to pull  a plus size lingerie anything out of a box infront of your friends i would suggest to ask that that they dont buy such personal items.  leave it to massage oils  sented candles gift cards or tell them to pick from a bridal registry that could have a few personal items that you would want. 

• What I'm doing is setting up a private board on Pinterest that I will invite ppl to see that are invited to the lingerie shower and put the size I need in the description. That way ppl can just follow the link to the website and delete the picture once they buy it. That way you're not having to tell people your size and the skinny girls don't have to get frustrated shopping for something foreign to them. I didn't want to do it either at first but I did want a lot of new lingerie for my honeymoon. Once I saw how expensive it was I decided it wouldn't be horrible to have other ppl buy it for me lol. I just put baby dolls and chemises on my list bc the idea of plus size panties horrifies me! After a certain size it starts to look like that scene from shallow Hal. Little baby dolls don't look that bad when you hold them up for all to see
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards