Snarky Brides

Anyone else LOVE these gifts??

I'm always hearing how appliances and household stuff are the worst gifts to get. I,however LOVE THEM!!!

On Black Friday FI bought me an early Christmas gift, the Keurig I'd been wanting and saving for. For Christmas he got me the shark vacuum I'd again been saving for.

I am a saver, I hate to spend alot of $$ on 1 item and will save and save for months and even then ill wait and find the best price. It drives him crazy! He knows how hard I work and hates hearing me say "I wanna save for awhile first". I'm a bargain finder and couponer (we have a massive stock pile of prob 3 years of hygiene n cleaning supplies for our house of 5... I bought him 25 axe Sprays last week for under $50). The deal hunt Is part of the fun for me. The irony to FI is that when I go to coach I can drop $300 in 15 seconds without a second thought.

Maybe that's why I love these gifts?? It's doesnt feel like he's buying them just to get them, he puts thought into it and gets exactly what I want, sometimes utilizing the kids who are with me when I browse, haha!!!

Tonight he had called from work (I work days he works nights, we dont SEE each other during the week these days)... Anyhow I told him I had bad news, my washer was going on strike again and I was going to have the repair guy come replace the parts. He beat around the bush and then finally let it out... He's buying me the front loaders I've been wanting as a wedding gift. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!!

I got so excited.... What better than to get me something I'm dying for and would for sure love???

Am I in the minority here???

That all being said.... Curious, what is your favorite appliance or gadget in your home???

Re: Anyone else LOVE these gifts??

• Honestly my favorite small appliances that I have in my house are my 12 cup coffee maker, my crock pot and my rice steamer. In case people do not know a lot about me, I love to cook and try new things in the kitchen Laughing FI cannot complain because he cannot really cook (I know time for him to get an education... his mother and I are working on that one considering she is a 5 star chef!)...  But so far I have a few recipes that he loves when I make them and often he asks me to make certain ones... I tell him that he needs to learn how to make them for himself because I am not always going to be home to do it for him
  • For Christmas this year I asked for all small appliances, I got a deep fryer that I ADORE! These gifts are expensive and they're something you use pretty much daily (At least I use my Keurig daily...) They're great gifts!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Ah yes.  I cried my eyes out when my girlfriends got me a crock pot for my 21st birthday.  True story.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hahaha, you are not alone. I love my crock pot, and my george foreman grill. We dont have alot of spiffy new applicances, everything was pretty much handed down. We register for brand new everything (coffee pot, blender, etc.) & plan on donating all of our old stuff. I am really hoping that somebody gets us the coffee pot we registered for. Its a Hamilton Beach Single Scoop coffee maker. Kinda like a Kuerig, but you can use regular coffee grounds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance (boyfriend at the time) bought me a toolbox for my birthday with all the screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. that I could possibly need. I had just moved into my new home, and it was the BEST gift I ever received.  I am very independent, and it was so nice not to have to "borrow" anymore. 
  • Ok, no laughing.  The BEST wedding present we got off of our registries is a steam cleaner and high quality vaccuum.  All those years washing the carpets by hand, or paying someone... gone!  I am in lubs with them both.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I read this title as "gifs" and was really hoping for a thread full of funny animated gifs. Oh well :P

After years of apartment living and doing so many dishes by hand, one of my favorite appliances is our dishwasher that came in our home when we bought the house. 

For small appliances, I really love our red Kitchaid stand mixer. I don't even use it that much, but it just looks so pretty on our counter :)  

ETA: I have a small obsession with red things in the kitchen. My tea kettle, stand mixer, 8 quart dutch oven, and Le Creuset braising pan are all red and make me happy :)
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Oh man I've been wanting a stand mixer for EVER! We put it on our registry and my fingers are crossed! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • My fiance got a 64 inch flat screen HD tv for his birthday (which is in December) and it's still in the box in our guest room, unused.  It's mainly because we are paying for our wedding as we go, and gave ourselves a very fixed income, so the extra cable package/box is not in the budget - and this tv will go in our master bedroom.  I am SURE when it's hooked up, that will be his favorite applicance/electronic gift.

Last year we asked for (and got) Sears giftcards, and at the after holidays sale, got ourselves an AWESOME vacuum.  SO so SO awesome.... yay clean.  Boo cat fur.

We did not register for a kitchenaid but we did register for another brand (cheaper) handmixer, a pasta maker, a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a wafflemaker, and an air purifier.  Fingers crossed.
  • You girls are busting me up... I love my Keurig. I'm pleading with my boss to get one and even offered to supply the k-cups bc MY COFFEE CAN KILL... LITERALLY. I have never made a good cup of coffee in my life. The point of the Keurig gift was for me to save $$. I was spending $6 at Starbucks at least 10x a wk. every morn coffee and coffee cake, Danish, bagel, etc. plus my lunch breaks and some days I'd take my 3 kids with me. Thanks to FIs awesome gift I get delish coffee made by my 10 yr old (he's a genius with the Keurig) and I'm saving $$250+ month on coffee drive thru. I only go 2-3x a month now if that. My son loves the Keurig. We found Swiss miss hot cocoa k cups so he bought them for him and his brothers lol. Heck my 6 yr old makes good coffee with it haha. I just love getting the gadgets I love. Ella, I understand the TV. We had been saving for a new TV when we moved to our new home last July. We have an inset wall in our living room, its meant for a flat screen to be wall mounted. We have a 60" older model flat screen but it has a thick back so it won't work. FI had $1800 for his new TV when we decided to set a wedding date (had been engaged for 8 mos). He handed me the envelope and said its for my dream wedding. The TV can wait. After the wedding the plan is to save for our 75" for the living room... The 60" is then coming to our bedroom. We have a 42" right now. Thinking then were TV shifting. 10 yr old has. 32" 8 yr old has a 28" and 6 yr old has a 17"... Everyone will get upgraded.
  • I love many of my appliances.  My favorite is probably my KitchenAid stand mixer, because baking is my passion.  I love my Dyson vacuums (handheld and upright -- which is mostly retired now that I have hardwoods, handheld is great for tidying up though).  I bought LG front loading washer and dryer when we bought the house and they're awesome.  We sprang for the ones with steam functions, which was well worth the extra cost.  You hear alot about front loaders getting stinky, but they're really not that hard to care for (had ours 18 months and no smell).  Our manual recomends running a "tub clean" cycle (empty tub with bleach) once a month, which we do.  We also leave the door open overnight after use and whipe down the door and flange.  I also have a strong appreciation for a modern, efficient furnace after spending a year with a furnace that was manufacturered before I was born.
  • I LOVE practical gifts! Anything I need that I don't have to pay for out of pocket is fantastic!  For my 30th bday, my fiancee got me a chest freezer.  BEST GIFT EVER!  I can actually go to the grocery store and not have to put things back because i won't have enough room in the freezer.  :)  My last several xmas' from family have consisted of a vacuum, a griddle, two crock pots, and pots and pans.  And they are the best presents ever! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-love-these-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:24eaf37e-2e0b-48ee-88b5-846328c6fa01Post:b40594b3-2e84-477f-b80f-96ab473e2516">Re: Anyone else LOVE these gifts??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love many of my appliances.  My favorite is probably my KitchenAid stand mixer, because baking is my passion.  I love my Dyson vacuums (handheld and upright -- which is mostly retired now that I have hardwoods, handheld is great for tidying up though).  I bought LG front loading washer and dryer when we bought the house and they're awesome.  We sprang for the ones with steam functions, which was well worth the extra cost.  You hear alot about front loaders getting stinky, but they're really not that hard to care for (had ours 18 months and no smell).  Our manual recomends running a "tub clean" cycle (empty tub with bleach) once a month, which we do.  We also leave the door open overnight after use and whipe down the door and flange.  I also have a strong appreciation for a modern, efficient furnace after spending a year with a furnace that was manufacturered before I was born.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm reading about leaving it open. And the bleach. They were delivered on Monday. No lint trap and no manual for the washer so today I went and got both at the store (Nd gave them a piece of my mind lol).

I'm loving them so far. We got the whirlpool duets on Recomendation of my MOHs dad who owns the most successful appliance repair business in our town. He keeps track of his repairs and said he has the least from these. I ask him before I buy any appliances.

I now have 3 sons fighting over who gets to help with laundry. I LOVE IT!!!

Now if only I couldn't figure out where to put my liquid fab softener lol
  • I was just laughing with my friends this weekend of how we know life has changed when we are literally excited to get appliances!!  My bridal shower I got a toaster, keurig, coffee grinder, crock pot, can opener, purple coffee pot, purple mixer, & purple iron (do you think I like purple!?) and I felt like I was eleven getting the bike I wanted for Christmas.  I seriously cannot wait to use them!  FI and I are practical gift givers too-- I would love if he got me a blender, lol.

Anniversary
  • I am so excited for our wedding gifts which are almost all household and appliance things. I want a food processor really bad. Last year for Christmas his parents got us a nice vacuum and it's great. We just bought a Keurig and it's basically life changing. 

I'm really hoping for a stand mixer or carpet shampooer for the big ticket items on our registry. And the plates. 
  • edited September 2013
    I can't wait to go and register!  I'm trying to hold off until November/December but idk if I'll make it.

I'm dying for a Keurig, Dyson Vacuum, and a Kitchen Aid mixer.

PS-I still live at home so I don't need these things yet but I'm soooo looking forward to it.  Makes me think who am I?!? lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My FI got me a 12 cup coffee maker with automatic brew setting as a gift during my student teaching. Its like a $20 from Walmart one, but it seriously is my favorite item in my kitchen, especially since I had survived the first half of my student teaching with only a French Press (ie: not very much coffee for my travel mug and a lot of effort in the mornings). However, nowadays we rarely use the auto brew setting since FI insists on waking up early with me so that he can make me coffee and eggs every morning. He is awesome 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• As for wedding appliance gifts, I am getting really antsy waiting for my wedding to hopefully get a Crock Pot finally. I know they are only like $30 and I am probably going to break down and buy one between now and June, but I just feel likes its something I want on my registry. I think we just have this mentality that if we buy everything we need ourselves, we won't have anything to put on our list (not that we are expecting any gifts of course). I guess we will just have to ask guests to donate to our HM fund instead...

Just kidding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our anniversary is coming up on Thursday and we decided to buy ourselves a vacuum instead of exchanging gifts! I don't think I've ever been so excited to vacuum in my life!

• I got one of those Soda Stream's about 18 months ago.  Cannot say enough about it!  Love it, love it, love it!  It basically carbonates water and then you add whatever flavored syrup to make your own soda.  However, one of my fave beverages is plain old club soda, so now I can just fizz up some water and I am good to go. And it runs on its own without electricity, so no cord and I can put it anywhere on the counter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got a quesadilla maker as a wedding gift and I cannot wait to use it!! So exciting!
  • I love practical gifts too--for my 25th birthday my parents got me a vacuum and my fiance got me a blender and some fancy knives. I am a little bit "meh" about registering though because I like to buy vintage or used items a lot (especially for bakeware...hello pretty pyrex and fire king) and you can't really register for things like that. Plus I have some beautiful hand-me-down Pfaltzgraff "heritage" dishes, but you can only buy that line at the Pfaltzgraff website from what I can see. I would like some cast iron items though, and I'm a bit torn about a stand mixer--I have a great hand mixer, but I think the stand one would be nice for kneading bread dough.

Maybe we will just register at Menard's because we just bought a 105 year old home. I am laughing a little at the person who said they were excited to get a new furnace because it was older than she was because my furnace is older than my grandparents. Updating that and adding central air excites me a lot.

Also whenever the washer that's in there now goes out, I am looking forward to purchasing a Speed Queen. They're still made in the US, and I've heard stories of people owning Speed Queens for 30-40 years or more because they're built like tanks.

Hopefully one day I will get a dishwasher. We bought a huge old 1920s farm sink with a built in drainboard though, so hopefully doing the dishes won't be too painful. And now fiance has conceded to me adding a sink skirt so I'm even more excited.

I am also excited that my fiance is on board with buying a reel mower (I like American Lawn Mower). No need to buy gasoline, and no noise either! Both sets of parents think we're insane, but our yard is small and we don't have a garage so this will be easier to lug to the basement for storage.

So maybe I am really strange because I get excited about practical gifts, particularly if they are old or old-fashioned. Looking at brand new glasses sounds boring, but depression glass? Yes please!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards