Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Hymn: Come Thou Fount

Alright fellow brides, I need an opinion. My fiance and I have choosen Come Thou Fount as the hymn everyone will sing at during our ceremony. My mother doesn't think this is an appropriate song because 1. she thinks it's not joyful and 2. she thinks it's too hard to sing. 

My Fi and I think it's very appropriate because we both love the song and because we are both so thankful for all the blesings God has bestowed upon both of us. 

What are your thoughts? Appropriate or not? Has anyone else used this song for their wedding?

Here are the words:

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Re: Hymn: Come Thou Fount

• Options
    I love it. It is hard to sing, though. Have you talked to your pastor or organist about possibilities? I've never been to a wedding where we sang hymns.
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I have to disagree with NYC, I don't think it's any harder to sing than any other comparable hymns.

I think it's appropriate for a wedding, it couldn't hurt to discuss with your officiant or the music director at your church, but I see no reason you shouldn't use it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    I love this song. It is so not hard to sing. We sing this at church all the time. I love it.
  • Options
    I don't know if you're still around, but your mom's concern might come from key signatures. The Lutheran Book of Worship (LBW) version is in g minor, while the version most churches sing is in F major. Both are very pretty, but one is definitely more "joyful" than the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards